What is the best time to eat?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    What is the best time to eat?

    Hey, i just started to my Strength Protocol program. I am using the Mass Effect meal plan.


    Today i worked out after 2-3 hours after the Meal 1 (A+B+C), now i'm gonna have the post work-out snack. I felt really sore and unenergetic, like right after the first set. When is the best time to work out? Between Meal 2 and 3, or anytime is okay?

    #2
    Hi, it doesn't really matter. Your body works on a 24hr clock so, regardless of when you eat, it'll use what it needs.

    I personally work out fasted in the morning (food or water in my stomach slows me down), and only eat when my appetite returns after the physical activity, which is usually a good 3-5 hours later.

    You have to figure out what feels best for you and works with your routine, that way you'll stick with it better.

    Hope this helped.

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks for the answer. I think it is impossible for me to workout while fasting in the morning My gym coach suggested before to eat 2 hours before and after (2 times) additionally to daily routine, to have an effective nutrition. But in that program you can only have B's in Meal I and IV. I really didn't like that exhaustion today. It gives dizziness and makes it impossible to train

      Comment


        #4
        I think it is impossible for me to workout while fasting in the morning
        You get used to it. If I had to train with something in my stomach, I'd get sick. But, as I said, it's a personal choice. Shift things around until they work for you

        Comment


          #5
          When I was working for a builder as a general labourer I would eat every 2 hours starting with breakfast at 6am. Retired now so eat when hungry, if I was going to a morning Yoga class I would fast till after.

          Comment


            #6
            I personally think some protein (as laid out in the mealplan) would actually help to keep your blood sugars more stable between full meals.

            You being tired after the workout tells me that your body isn't used to running off fat reserves and depends A LOT on carbs - which isn't THAT healthy (coming from someone with insulin issues), or the ones you're eating don't have enough fibre to keep bloodsugar level.

            It may also just be because the training is new? Maybe you pushed too far without realizing it.

            Maybe try adding more fibrous carbs to your morning meal - better yet, eat eggs, if you're not vegan.

            Wait an hour before you workout after breakfast. Eat your snack half an hour to an hour after exercising. This just ensures that there's enough blood around for good digestion...

            When I used to gym, my trainer also told me to eat oatmeal before working out, and a protein shake after.

            But later on, when I tried to train fasted, I realized how tired that oatmeal was actually making me. All the blood goes to digestion and not enough to the muscles during the workout.

            Since I like to push myself during a workout, I also discovered I wasn't hungry until waaay after.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Nevetharine View Post
              I personally think some protein (as laid out in the mealplan) would actually help to keep your blood sugars more stable between full meals.

              You being tired after the workout tells me that your body isn't used to running off fat reserves and depends A LOT on carbs - which isn't THAT healthy (coming from someone with insulin issues), or the ones you're eating don't have enough fibre to keep bloodsugar level.

              It may also just be because the training is new? Maybe you pushed too far without realizing it.

              After the workout its okay, but this happens during the workout. Probably yeah, its been very long time since exercising this heavy. I have to admit i am not really a push-up person (its because i didn't care about deltoids and triceps at a time) But it's getting better when my arms get used to it. It is like carrying tolerance (like increasing the weights every week, i hope i explained well). Today went pretty well, maybe because todays exercises are easier than the yesterday.

              Maybe it is because i do Punches and Jumping Jacks right before it, it is really tiring. That might be the problem, but i need something as cardio before workout.

              Like i said, i think i need more energy and get rid of the rawness. These days movement is minimum, so i think its normal to have soreness.


              Originally posted by Nevetharine View Post
              Maybe try adding more fibrous carbs to your morning meal - better yet, eat eggs, if you're not vegan.

              Wait an hour before you workout after breakfast. Eat your snack half an hour to an hour after exercising. This just ensures that there's enough blood around for good digestion...

              When I used to gym, my trainer also told me to eat oatmeal before working out, and a protein shake after.

              But later on, when I tried to train fasted, I realized how tired that oatmeal was actually making me. All the blood goes to digestion and not enough to the muscles during the workout.

              Since I like to push myself during a workout, I also discovered I wasn't hungry until waaay after.
              I don't eat eggs I always have dairy in the breakfast, maybe cereal, oats (with yoghurt and fruits) Not high from energy maybe.

              Yeah actually in my gym time i was always doing 30mins of cardio before start working out (not when bodybuilding, more like first times) I never had nausea or sickness pre or post workout, but these day i am having it, maybe eating too often causes that. But it is pretty bearable so i don't make it a problem.

              Comment


                #8
                Maybe you can try one of the Level 1 Cardio workouts before your actual workout? It would be light enough to keep your energy levels up, I think.

                Just for interest - Jumping jacks are actually a "resting" exercise for me. I somehow managed to do that when I first did Hero's Journey . I did active rest with them. Now, whenever they're in a workout, it doesn't feel challenging enough.

                I think you might just need to evenly space out your energy during your workout. Seems like you go all out with your "warm-up" and then have no juice left for the rest of the work.

                Might try overnight oats. It's raw - but that means it has more resistant starch for even blood sugar levels. Try adding some healthy fats like nuts or seeds. Keep the milk, and if you're using skim - use full fat instead. The fat keeps you satiated longer, despite the higher calories.

                The nausea is, as I said, due to there not being enough bloodflow to the stomach.

                When you go at a workout really hard, your working muscles get preference when it comes to blood and oxygen. Digestion "shuts down" to an extent, as it's classed as "unimportant" when you are, for example, running for your life or punching an enemy in the face.

                It's not usually an issue though. It just means you've pushed yourself quite far. If it doesn't bother you (and you don't actually, you know, lose your food), keep at it.

                Comment


                  #9
                  I found eating at consistent times is what matters. Same applies for working out In my day, I workout a couple of hours after meal 2, which puts me into late afternoon.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Personally I can't really handle much protein/fat within about 2 hours of a workout or I feel all bloated and slow. Carbs on the other hand I can handle. From this I usually do a protein shake 2-2.5 hours before I lift, a granola bar 15-30 minutes before I start lifting (yay insulin spike) and I usually pair it with caffeine, and then I follow lifting with a full meal/full macro profile usually 30-90 minutes after depending on when dinner hits the table.

                    Trail and error is usually the best method for finding your time frames. Just be willing to try anything once and see what you get.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      The best time to eat is after a workout. You are still burning calories up to an hour after you evercise. So in the morning, if you exercise, have a protein drink before you go. Take water to keep hydrated and then grab breakfast. This applies to any time of day when you workout. I lost 80 pounds this way doing tTae Bo and then eating.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Azercord View Post
                        Personally I can't really handle much protein/fat within about 2 hours of a workout or I feel all bloated and slow. Carbs on the other hand I can handle. From this I usually do a protein shake 2-2.5 hours before I lift, a granola bar 15-30 minutes before I start lifting (yay insulin spike) and I usually pair it with caffeine, and then I follow lifting with a full meal/full macro profile usually 30-90 minutes after depending on when dinner hits the table.

                        Trail and error is usually the best method for finding your time frames. Just be willing to try anything once and see what you get.
                        Either way, it has disadvantages.. When i eat before 1 hour, i can't work out because it's making me sick and uncomfortable. But when i wait 1 more hour after workout, i get hungry. Its probably reasonable due the program i am applying. But it's a bit of a deadlock. I feel unenergized for any kind of job, drinking coffee doesn't even work now. I am not heading out for 1 months at least, maybe it has an effect on my energy. It depends on which group i am working on. But currently, i am working out 2 hours before dinner.

                        My protein intake is mostly during dinner and one of the lunches. I can say i am not really eating balanced, i try to use whatever i can find on the house. :/ Shopping is not easy lately and my protein source had fallen to one, i mostly have chicken, or cheese, yogurt etc. in breakfast. Mass Effect meal plan feels pretty limited. There is not much alternative for building sources suggested (like squids?) So it is hard planning what to eat and when to eat. Like i said i really get hungry, and probably the energy options in the plan are not enough. Anyone has an idea? Should i eat more fibres/vegetables to fill in?

                        -----------
                        lepracoon thanks! I couldn't see your reply while i was posting this. I don't have protein powder nor shaker Any alternatives? And like i said before, i am following a plan and i want to stick to it as possible it can be.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X