Vegetable Seasoning Ingredients

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Vegetable Seasoning Ingredients

    Does this contain salt? It looks like there is some in the dry seasonings, but not in the ingredients list. I would think a little would be a good idea to help preserve it.

    Thanks!

    #2
    The Darebee Vegetable seasoning doesn't. It's good for about a week in the fridge or you can split it and freeze it.

    Most commercial ones are mostly salt with a bit of pepper, rosemary and garlic chucked in.

    Comment


      #3
      Salt is something highly individual and super easily added, so it's sensible to make a recipe for seasoning that doesn't contain salt.

      All the people who are trying to reduce their salt intake are in tears scouring the internet for seasonings without salt. Because salt is a cheap trick that makes stuff taste better you will find very few recipes that don't use it.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Io6 View Post
        The Darebee Vegetable seasoning doesn't. It's good for about a week in the fridge or you can split it and freeze it.

        Most commercial ones are mostly salt with a bit of pepper, rosemary and garlic chucked in.
        Okay, cool. Then can you tell me what the white powder is in the photograph?
        Thanks!

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by lorrwill View Post
          Okay, cool. Then can you tell me what the white powder is in the photograph?
          Thanks!
          Probably salt. But it was omitted from the final recipe (or they didn't bother taking another picture when they adjusted the recipe) because it's not necessary.

          Comment


            #6
            I didn't notice the white in the picture! I haven't used salt and it works well.

            Comment


              #7
              Yes, that's salt but as others have already mentioned, it's a very personal thing. I myself make this seasoning without salt for example but if you use it, just remember it's already there when you add it to dishes (it's easy to forget and over-salt your food). The seasoning will also last longer in the fridge if you add salt since it's a natural preservative

              I hope this helps!

              Comment


                #8
                This would be great with or without salt, frozen into individual portions in ice cube trays. Then you could keep it pretty much forever and chuck a cube into soup, or a stir-fry willy-nilly.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by HumanMonster View Post
                  This would be great with or without salt, frozen into individual portions in ice cube trays. Then you could keep it pretty much forever and chuck a cube into soup, or a stir-fry willy-nilly.
                  Oh, I wonder whether the flavour changes with freezing.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Nah, it tastes fine Noen

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by neilarey View Post
                      Yes, that's salt but as others have already mentioned, it's a very personal thing. I myself make this seasoning without salt for example but if you use it, just remember it's already there when you add it to dishes (it's easy to forget and over-salt your food). The seasoning will also last longer in the fridge if you add salt since it's a natural preservative

                      I hope this helps!
                      Thank you! I thought this was the case, and yes, I am carefully tracking my sodium.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by HumanMonster View Post
                        This would be great with or without salt, frozen into individual portions in ice cube trays. Then you could keep it pretty much forever and chuck a cube into soup, or a stir-fry willy-nilly.
                        Great idea. I have some silicon ice cube trays that would be perfect for this.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X