Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lgbt+

any lgbt+ people here

Hi! I can promise that there are a bunch of LGBT+ folks here, including me (bringing the B to the party). Welcome to the Hive!

Comment

Hey there! I'm both the B and the T! DD Pretty sure there are several others as well.

Comment

Another B joining the party!

Comment

hi my dudes

Comment

Hi! I'm both the L and the T

Comment

Is antyone else upset that there are only 3 options for genders? Male, Female, and Secret??? As a nonbinary this is something I go through everyday in my life and its frustrating to find it on a seemingly progressive workout website as well

Comment

I'm not sure how difficult that setting would be for the Darebee team to change, especially since selecting M or F puts a graphic on profiles. It may be built into whatever service they use to run the forums and not something they really have power over.

While I understand that it can be exhausting to have to bring things like this up for people who haven't thought about it, I can guarantee that the DB team and the Hive community in general are supportive and caring. So I can't promise they can do anything about it, but asking (the core team are most likely to see it if you ask in the Feedback section) would certainly bring it to their attention.

Comment

neilarey Damer I think are probably the best people to answer this question SwimmerEnby888

As an outsider I'd guess it has something to do with the options available to them.

Comment

Martyn thank you for tagging me here. SwimmerEnby888 thank you for bringing this up. It's a discussion that has come up internally more than once and we have always postponed dealing with it because despite the diversity of our team this is an area we are unfamiliar with. Nevertheless we do need to address it. Last time we had that discussion we stopped at the point of including a non-binary gender symbol: The black and white format of the profile symbols excludes the use of any color which means we have to work with clearly recognizable images and take into account the need to be intuitively understood in their context.

So, my question here (and I am opening it up to everyone on this thread) is: would this be OK? Does it cover non-binary gender needs? If not what else could we/should we include. Please bear in mind our restrictions regarding the use of color and obviously the size and clarity of any symbol that is used. I am really looking forward to your answers.

Comment

Damer, is it an option to have gender info written on the main profile page instead of a symbol on every post? There could be a wider selection of options that way and potentially an ability for people to write their own choice. That would also mean that people could share their gender more comfortably with profiles being member-access only than on a forum where all posts are publicly accessible, since many non-binary people are comfortable sharing their identity in some contexts but not others.

Comment

Damer ... that one symbol, for "non-binary" would cover maybe 10% of all Bees - obviously guessing here - but might only be chosen by 5%.
                        Because ... privacy being a big factor, denial a much smaller one, and many others.
                        But ... it would include many sub-options compared to the 30%-45% chosen by each of the others. I don't recall seeing a "no-gender-specified" choice shown.
                        More privacy issues?
                        Anyway ... sure.
                        Add that option in there. In this forum, I doubt much will be made of it.
                        And, should someone care to, well, 1) they don't need to access The Hive (their loss) to benefit from the site, 2) the less-restrictive among us will not miss them ... much, and 3) in this forum? We be friends!

Anyone who disagrees with that opinion can just re-read 3) again, and again, until they get it.
                        And ... thanks for opening it up to our voices.

Comment

I've also seen just plain circles used as nonbinary gender symbols. Wouldn't that be easier to implement if people are relying on symbols in their profile?

Comment

i dont personally care what symbol, I would just like recognition. A blank circle would be fine with me, or the previous one Damer Suggested. Thank you for responding.

Comment

Queer agender T. I was also sad that I could only pick secret. Depending on the flexibility of the system, I'd love to see the option to remove the symbol from posts completely. And then a blank fill-in-your-own profile option that could be displayed as a text string instead?

Comment

Working...
                              X