Workout Plateau: Any Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Workout Plateau: Any Advice?

Hello, I am posting to look for some advice. Let me explain some background. I have lost 45lbs or so down to 165lbs. I have worked out every day for nearly a year and done different workouts to achieve weight loss. However, I feel my body has hit a plateau and thus I feel I am not getting the results I want. I want to tone my body and I am lost as to what to do as far as making a workout regime besides picking ones I’ve been familiar with. I’ve lost a good amount of muscle and would like to build my muscle rather than fat. I will also admit my eating habits could be better but mostly is affected during the weekend.

TLDR: I would just like to know what anyone has done in my situation who has lost some weight and now is looking really tone up and shred the loose fat around the waist and build muscle.

Thank you in advance!

I would do the Ironborn program is the one that has moved me the most both the metabolism and the musculature

Comment

Try these things and I bet you see an improvement:

1. Eat healthier.

2. Add running (hard) to your work-out

3. Add push-ups and planks.

4. Add more weight.

That'll get you where you need to go. It's simple but not easy.

Comment

First, if one lose weight, he lose strength, since it is not possible lose only fat b (i.e. but at same time some lean mass is lost - obviously we are considering "normal" weight variation 1-2 that can depend also from water in the body).

From your post, I think that you have change your goals and thus your wait of training. Notably, my first idea about plateau regards a situation concerning strength training where you are not able to improve your strength.

As you wrote, improving your food behaviours could help you to achieve your goals.

you don't give us many details about your training (I think that it's mainly cardio activities) and your fitness level.

Ironborn program could be a good idea, but if you have no experience with dumbbells could be difficult to understand (via autoregulation) the correct weight, which you have to use in every exercise.

In my opinion you should select one program between the ones focused on strength on the basis of your strenght level

Comment

All good advice so far. If I can add in anything extra, it would be to focus on something which works agility/flexibility/balance/coordination. I have read that there are basically three pillars of fitness, cardio strength and agility, but that most people disregard agility. Personally for me, agility is the fun part of working out. I do enough of cardio and strength training, but if there is something that I look forward to then it is probably agility based.

To that end, you could try to learn a new skill or a new kind of exercise. One agility drill that I loved when I was going to the gym was the bear crawl (also great for strength and cardio). I also loved juggling. These forms of exercise add a bit of fun to what you do and takes away the focus necessarily for evident gains.

Comment

Thank You so much for the responses.

A bit more context,
            I have done Ironborn workout recently, I felt it worked well for strength.
            Additionally, I want to build muscle on my left arm and leg as i was in an accident when i was younger and they have not been as strong as my right side.
            That being said are there suggestions as far as other workouts like Ironborn? something that has the same idea.
            Also any suggestions on joint workouts as i feel i need joint work as well.
            I try to diversify my workouts with changing them by days (Abs, legs, cardio etc each on different days).
            I just wanted to know if that is a good plan and should i try doing two different workouts in a session?

Sorry if im asking a lot of questions here.

Thank you.

Comment

IWGPManny Congrats on losing 45 lbs!

Comment

I'm going to run a bit counter to conventional wisdom and/or intuition about your plateau.

Welcome to the plateau ! ! !

Plateaus often get a bad reputation in fitness, and can be very frustrating and tends to make us want to start program hopping. After all, we’re in this game to make change happen and plateaus are when change just can’t seem to come. Everyone wants to know how to break out of their plateau, but I’ve got a different recommendation: Don’t break that plateau. Stay exactly where you are and try not to break it. The plateau is exactly what you want to have happen and you want to get to your plateau as quickly as possible after adopting a new program. Once you’re there stay there as long as you can stand it. Doing so will set you up to make changes like crazy!

Here's how I have become to think about this. There is something called homeostasis, it's basically you in a balanced relationship in your environment. In a balance, you have lower stress levels, incidence of disease, injury, and so on. The problem is that everything about you will stay the same: the same muscle, same fat, same flexibility and so on. This is a survival mechanism, it's where nature wants to be, but can also be the cause of change. Any change you make to nutrition or movement will cause a change in you and you will ultimately bring yourself back to homeostasis, whether that's forward or backward. So the plateau is the goal.

You want the plateau to feel like the new set-point, a place that feels so good and natural to you that you feel like it's a part of you like your favorite jacket that you can't imagine not being without it. It is here that you have reduced stress and the habits to maintain the new set-point that you don't even have to think about. It is here you are ready and prepared to run out the gate once again and make new changes to reach homeostasis once again.

Different doesn't guarantee change. Program hopping can lead you to make progress in other areas, but the overall intensity may still be just the same as your old program and can lead us to spinning our wheels. Instead, what you want to do is get better at doing what you are already doing. This doesn't mean necessarily doing more, but actually getting better quality repetitions than what you have done. For example, if you can do 10 pullups and only 10 pullups, look at how you are doing those 10 pullups. Perhaps the range of motion is not as big in the last few reps as the first one was ... focus on getting more range of motion. Perhaps you kick your legs on the last rep or two - stop kicking. Get better at what you currently do, then you can progress and break out of the plateau ... until you reach it once again.

If everyone can make linear progression, such as adding 5lbs to the bar every workout or lose 1.5lbs of fat per week ad infinitum, then everyone would be superman in a years time. Instead: progress, plateau, make a change, and repeat. Don't abandon the program that got you where you are today. If your goals change and your program doesn't fit them, then change the program.

Comment

Originally posted by IWGPManny View Post
                  I just wanted to know if that is a good plan and should i try doing two different workouts in a session?
                  I find it very good to follow a 30 day program which is the main training and then if I want or feel the need I add one or more challenges

Comment

Caius I really like your point of view!

Comment

Working...
                    X