Anyone out there building their own DIY exercise equipment?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone out there building their own DIY exercise equipment?

My wife and two sons are moving out of apartment living, and finally getting a house (albeit still renting). I am pretty excited, particularly about the fact that I have a basement, with a separate room big enough for an exercise room!

My wife is post-natal and is hoping to get back into more serious fitness after some time away. I was thinking as a Christmas present to build her a ballet bar in the exercise room. Pretty basic really, just needs a 4 inch dowling and some brackets (plus some paint).

I was checking it out and saw a design for a balance beam (for artistic gymnastics) which doesn't seem so complicated either. Also I have seen some more basic stuff like building step/jumping boxes.

Anyone have any other similar projects on the go? Or in the plans?

I am trying to think if there is anything else to build in. It would be cool to have a full workout studio down there.

I've added stall bars to my gym. Easy to do and along the lines of what you are already doing. There are several DIY pages that show how to build them.

Comment

Here is my homemade gear. No projects atm.

Comment

Cool stuff, my problem is that I don't know the exact dimensions of the house that I am moving into.

I am pretty sure I could do a chin up bar in the basement, but not so sure about other climbing stuff. I might try to building a wall outside eventually.

A peg board would be neat though.

Comment

CaptainCanuck this DIY gym equipment playlist may help. It's from the B.U.F.F Dudes. LINK
          Hope these help.

Comment

Kakarot Thanks for the link, I saw their video for box jumps and plan to make one down the road. The other stuff looks good too.

Comment

It depends on whether you plan to do calisthenics or weightlifting.
              Calisthenics is pretty easy:
              -Puzzle piece foam mats
              -Jump rope
              - Pull up bar
              -Any other misc exercise equipment you find useful like a box or weight vest
              Weightlifting generally you’ll additionally want at minimum:
              -Adjustable dumbbells (in 5lb increments up to whatever weight you can do)
              -Adjustable bench
              Olympic style weightlifting you’ll additionally want at minimum:
              -5-7ft barbell (2in barbells can take more weight)
              -Squat Rack
              -Horse stall mats (nobody wants to fix chipped floors)
              -Weight plates in the following quantities:
              -45lb x4
              -25lb x2
              -10lb x2
              -5lb x4
              -2.5 x2 (optional)
              -Clips to keep the plates on
              -Flat or adjustable bench

Make sure you measure your space before you order something. I’ve seen plenty of horror stories of people knocking a hole in a wall by accident. Also weigh your plates before use. I nearly screwed up my back because 5 of my 45lb plates are actually 46lb and one is actually 44.
              Edit: Buy used equipment unless it shows excessive wear. You shouldn’t pay >$1 per lb for plates.

Comment

Working...
              X