Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you guys deal with work - especially long shifts

I'm interested in getting advice from old pros on this. I work 12-hour shifts and with commuting, I'm out of the house for 14 hours on the days I work. I'm on my feet and walking much of the day and feel too tired to do anything when I get home. On the other hand, I want to try to do something everyday. Starting tomorrow, I work three days in a row and don't want to lose momentum. Do you workout at work? Or what inspires you to workout late at home when you're already tired?
    <-- Me at work

Thanks guys

I've worked 12 hour shifts 6 days a week in a factory and it was horrible, the 3 shifts changed every 2 weeks. Get out of there and get a normal 8 hour job.

I did landscaping after that for 4 years then general labourer for a builder for 13, imagine getting paid to workout eh! When I worked 5 days a week then I do weights on the weekend, then went on a 4 day week and a 3 day as I got older and worked out on my days off.

Comment

Well, I'm a freelancer, so I don't work long hours shifts. However, the university takes a huge amount of my time. What I'm currently doing is to wake up earlier than usual, and then workout first thing of the morning. Get a shower and off to class. That way, by the end of the day, I'll be free for whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by anothersarah6 View Post
        I'm interested in getting advice from old pros on this. I work 12-hour shifts and with commuting, I'm out of the house for 14 hours on the days I work. I'm on my feet and walking much of the day and feel too tired to do anything when I get home. On the other hand, I want to try to do something everyday. Starting tomorrow, I work three days in a row and don't want to lose momentum. Do you workout at work? Or what inspires you to workout late at home when you're already tired?
        <-- Me at work

Thanks guys
        Welcome to Darebee.. 😃😄

​​​​​​
        I have been using Darbee on & off before realizing it's full potential.

one thing I learnt is, you need not have to worry too much while using darebee.

What I used to do initially was just wake up and do the Daily Dare.. That's it you have put in the effort and a workout complete.

Few more suggestions:
        1. Check out challenges you can do in tight spaces, in you chair/seat at work and go at it.

2. Again same, choose 2 challenges and do them before leaving for work and immediately after coming from work.

3. This needs some commitment, you can do the daily workouts instead of daily dares, only that the workout takes 15-20 mins if you can spare.

These are couple of thing that I used to do early on till I got used to making time and sticking to a routine.

And yes I do workout at office like I am doing this Power Grip challenge the moment I reach my desk at office. There are many such simple small workouts on darebee.. take your time to check what works for you..

Hope this helps..

Comment

I have what I call a minimum upkeep routine for days when I would otherwise not necessarily be able to do a full workout. Currently that's:
          Martial arts forms
          100 punches
          Daily Dare (or a reasonable attempt)
          Yoga Abs Challenge

Time spent is maybe 20 minutes and I'm unlikely to work up a sweat, but it helps to keep the momentum going. Maybe you could come up with something similar?

Comment

I work 10-hour shifts currently, but was working 12-hour shifts before that. Full disclosure: I do not get enough sleep... but what I've done fitness-wise is just get up early and exercise first thing after waking up. My shift times are not consistent (sometimes 7a, sometimes 4p, sometimes 9p), so I try to make fitness one of the few things I have total control over. And I've been doing it so long at this point that it feels weird NOT to exercise after waking up.

It's not for everyone (I'm getting up around 4ish, for instance, if I work at 7), but it works for me.

Good luck to you!

Comment

I made some career changes / sacrifices to get way from the 12 hour days / commutes, but what's helped me keep working out is starting a routine on my lunch break at work, because I'm not a morning person and I usually have no physical energy when I get home.

My lunch break works for me because A) exercise is good stress relief, which I need during my job B) I can eat right after my workout at my desk when I'm really hungry

If it helps, exercise isn't the only key to health. Making time to cook healthy foods and sleep enough are major factors to maintaining a healthy body, so even if you're too tired to exercise trying on those fronts will still help you a lot. I may not have a lot of energy when I get home, but I enjoy cooking (and eating!) so I make that my first thing when I do.

Good Luck!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X