Hello! New to Darebee trying to find a new me!

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! New to Darebee trying to find a new me!

Hey guys!

Life has kicked me in the ass and I decided it's time to kick back. My name is Megan, I'm 25, and a year ago my father died from his obesity (he had a heart attack at 400 lbs). I swore I'd never let my life get to that point, even though I was already overweight. Two months later the love of my life, Connor, died in a car accident at 22. I went into a severe depression and never worked out. Eventually, I tried to work out and lose weight again, but no matter what I did, I only gained weight, and I was constantly tired. Well, after some doctors visits and a trip to the ER, I've found out that I have hyperthyroidism. In theory, I should be losing weight no problem. But because of the lack of sleep I was getting, I couldn't lose any. I'm now on medication for both my thyroid and my sleep, so I'm starting from a good place.

Flash forward to now, I just got back from a trip to South Korea and the hiking kicked my ass, both physically and emotionally. I'm done being this way and I will be healthy for the first time in my life. Now for the question for you beautiful people: Where should I start? I'm currently 230 lbs and 5'1" (aka severely overweight). I have bought a couple 5 lb dumbbells, a 10 lb kettlebell, an exercise ball, a yoga mat, a jump rope, and an agility ladder. I want to lose weight in a healthy and sustainable away (also because I'm worried about having loose skin). Also, I've started the modern hero diet plan.

Just personal stuff about me, I love gaming and my two bunnies, Togi and Quentin. I work at a library so I get little exercise at my job.

Any advice would be appreciated! I'm ready to build the life I'm meant to live through this lovely community!

Much love!

and how do you do CCFCMegan?

I'm not in a position where I can suggest anything intellignet on intake for reasons that would constitute TMI, but if you've been having trouble being consistent with workouts, Foundation Light is a good program to use to get into the game. Those workouts don't involve jumping and most are fairly short. I have completed that program and can vouch for its viability for people who are starting out or starting over.

You could also look into starting a check-in thread if you think that will help, see the "How to Start a Log" link (scroll to the bottom of your screen) for more on that.

Glad to have you on board. I'll be rooting for you!

Comment

Hi Megan,

Welcome! I am sorry to hear your loss of love and family... but, yes, this is a place with nice and helpful people. My advice is starting with the Foundation or Foundation Light program. They might look easy but starting slow with a program will be much more sustainable. The only thing you need is patience. My mom wasn't an exercise bee at all because she didn't like working out, but one day she started the 30-day Foundation Light program and, whoa, completed it. I could tell she enjoyed it, which was a miracle. She is doing Foundation now, with the 1-minute Yoga Challenge.

Having mentioned the Challenge, I think you can add a Challenge or two on top of the program of your choice if you don't feel doing enough, but you will need to investigate things yourself. Oh, also once you have made your plan you can start a training log, which helps keeping you motivated. People will follow it and even give encouragements.

Good Luck!

Comment

First of all: welcome
        After i think that Fondation Program is the best starting point:
        https://darebee.com/programs/foundation-program.html
        It's a well rounded Program and you can learn all DAREBEE basis of training

Comment

Thank you all so much! I'll start the Foundation program when I get off work

Comment

I'm with the other Bees in recommending Foundation or Foundation Light (the latter a bit more, because it gets a good habit going) but I also want to add that from personal experience that I wouldn't overload your workout schedule at first. There's nothing wrong with doing only one workout per day, without challenges or extra stuff. You can always add more later, if you feel the need for it. But in the beginning, it's easier to start slowly, to not get de-motivated when there's not enough energy or time left to do the two additional challenges you've added to your schedule.
            And most important: have fun!

Comment

Hey CCFCMegan and welcome to Darebee! So sorry to hear about your last year, that's been quite a ride...

I agree with everyone else so far, and especially Nihopaloa 's comments about not doing too much to start with. You have (hopefully) a long life ahead of you so don't worry about the first few days/weeks. It's important to get into the habit and then keep going so really don't worry about not seeing anything straight away.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted!

Comment

Hi CCFCMegan welcome to the Hive .

I agree, the foundation or foundation light programs would be a good place to start. I red you have a jump rope, I have a thread called the jump rope gang where I (and others) post about our jump rope practice, I'd be happy for you to join if you like and we can motivate each other to jump and get fit.
                I don't personally do the darebee programs (no offence to the team) because I go to a combat sports gym with my brother.

I hate to point this out but having seen some videos about ppl losing weight, even the sustainable way you will still get loose skin (depending on how much weight you lose).

Anyway, welcome and good luck with reaching your goals.

Comment

Hi and welcome! I'm sorry about your losses, that was a rough year for you.
                  I'm with the crowd who already recommended Foundation Light as a good place to start. I like that you have dumbbells, so maybe after that and possibly Foundation, Ironborn might be a good choice. As long as you're very overweight, you don't want to do too high-impact things to protect your joints (nothing wrong with low-impact cardio, but personally, I'd keep that jump rope in the drawer for a while yet), and building up lean muscle will help lose the weight.
                  I also love that you want to go slow and sustainable. Going on a crash diet can really slow down your metabolism which means it will become progressively harder to lose weight and progressively easier to gain more than you've lost once you fall off the wagon. (I'm not saying that will happen, but it might. And I believe that if you mentally prepare for it, it will be easier to get back on. Long journeys are rarely linear, they have their ups and downs.)
                  Good luck with your new routine and we'll be cheering for your to reach your goals! (Oh, and about the work in the library: once you've settled into the routine of working out, you may want to look into casual training and/or the office workouts - the way I imagine working in a library, it may be possible to do a few squats or punches or stretches now and then while hiding between shelves (I have no idea if that's the case), and it all adds up. Not to the point where you get all sweaty and out of breath, more to remind your body what it's like to move.)

Comment

I'm sorry the last year hasn't been very kind to you. If nothing else, remember that you deserve the best of yourself even if you can account for no one else.

Personally, I'm going to echo the others. Look at Foundation and Foundation Light programs. They're easy, short programs geared towards weight loss and building a habit. As long as you are at this weight, you want to avoid doing things that are too rough on your joints in general. Scientifically speaking, we put four times the amount of weight that we actually have onto our joints (especially our knees) when we run, do jumping jacks, knee highs, etc. For someone smaller and fitter, this isn't as big of a deal as long as they have good form and otherwise stretch and take care of their muscles properly. For someone just getting into exercise and of your weight, however, this can contribute to serious problems down the line. Instead, you could perhaps look at programs that help build muscle which can actually help you burn more calories the more muscle you have. Ironborn, Total Abs, 30 Days of Strength, and 30 Days of Gravity come to mind. Given how your weight likely contributes to back pain, it might also be a good idea to look into Back and Core.

Remember, go slow and steady. You don't need to do a lot for your first month, or your second month, or your third month. What matters is developing a habit that you can sustain indefinitely and overworking yourself will only make you crash before you can even really start. If you end up just doing 5 or 10 minutes a day for awhile? That's perfect as long as you keep going.

Besides, if we're being honest here, most of weight loss happens in the kitchen. The exercise is mostly for helping guide your body into what kind of shape you want to be in, whether that be a bodybuilding brickhouse, a yogi, a runner, or someone into martial arts.

Comment

Welcome to the hive!

Hard time...i wish you luck with your goals and have fun around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Fremen View Post
                        First of all: welcome
                        After i think that Fondation Program is the best starting point:
                        https://darebee.com/programs/foundation-program.html
                        It's a well rounded Program and you can learn all DAREBEE basis of training
                        Welcome to the Hive.
                        I'm with Fremen on starting with the Foundation. It's where I started and is a good routine to get in the habit of daily exercise. Good luck and post your progress regularly.

Comment

Working...
                        X