Anyone else have a hobby they just can't do as well as they'd like?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else have a hobby they just can't do as well as they'd like?

I decided to get into paper crafts (mainly origami, but also some delicate models) as a means of mindfulness and/or stress reduction a few months ago, and it seems like I make no progress as far as talent goes. I can fold a few cool things, but my creases are always sloppy, and I can't confused on even basic instructions sometimes. And to top it all off, half the time I'm more stressed during the project than before!

So how about you? Any hobbies you just can't seem to get the hang of?

I tried card-making, but I was really not good at it, so I went back to my first loves, knitting and crochet.
    When I was making the cards, I was like you, too stressed out because things weren't going as well as I wanted.

Comment

Guitar, drawing, airsoft teching, certain board / computer games, running, miniature sculpting / painting.

So many things i've tried that seemed like a lot of fun just turn into an exercise of frustration / futility, because I can't seem to make any progress forward. A lot of these things seem simple, or I know what's going wrong, I just can't seem to adjust myself to the apropriate way of going about it. There's a ''certain click'' that's missing.
      Other times i'm too critical and I just want results too fast

I envy people that can do things they might not be the best at, but enjoy a lot. Enjoyment should always be the goal of your hobbies!

Comment

For me, it would be learning instruments. I have around a dozen various instruments I can play equally bad (aka, not at all). And don't seem to have the patience and discipline to stick with one, or make a dedicated practise plan for them.

As for origami, obiwan-shinobi , one of the things I'm somewhat good in is modular origami. I tried regular origami (animals and the like) at first, but never really got the hang of it. Then I found this tutorial for sonobe modules and made my first origami ball. I think it's a bit easier than sculptures and such, because you fold a bunch of easy modules and then assemble them. Maybe you want to try it out?

Comment

I've found that whatever skill I'm working on, my progress feels like a roller coaster. At first I suck at it, then I figure some things out and improve a lot. Then I realize there's still so much I don't understand or am incapable of doing, that I might as well give up. If I continue, soon there's another burst of improvement, then I hit a plateau again, and so on, and so on. I believe that's how it goes naturally, or at least that's how it is in my case. It's just difficult to stay motivated, especially at the first low point.

A specific hobby I have problems with is writing. I enjoy writing, or at least I'd enjoy it, if I actually practiced it. But I'm so self-conscious about how bad I am at it that I just don't do it. But because I don't practice, there's no way for me to improve, so I become even more self-conscious, and... it's a vicious cycle.

Comment

Playing bass. I´m a pretty bad bass player and even if I´d practice everyday forever I´d never be better than mediocre. Because I have two webbed fingers on my left hand my mobility and reach are severly limited. Which makes playing bass pretty difficult.

Comment

Juggling. Been doing it 20+ years now and still working on 3 ball tricks.

Comment

Guitar. I'm halfway decent at classical guitar, but because I practice so little, it takes forever to learn a new piece, let alone sort out technically difficult parts.

I occasionally try playing singer-songwriter style stuff and I just don't practice enough, I guess. My bar chords in particular are pretty pathetic.

Comment

I got into fly fishing and fly tying a few years ago and do neither as well as I would like.

Also started teaching myself guitar in January 2018. I can kind of play a few songs but still struggle with chord changes and strumming. So I guess that qualifies as not being as good as I'd like to be.

Comment

I tried loom knitting once, once, and gave up. That was after I tried regular knitting, and crocheting, a few times, and also gave up.

Comment

I really enjoy drawing, but I am not very good. I don't practice enough. I find the creative energy I use to draw is more draining that the toughest workout...I know that may sound strange to some, but to me it is the truth.

Comment

Working...
                      X