Any tabletop gamers here?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaleo One game can literally go on forever, that´s why you break it down into small sessions (how long those are varies. Ours mostly go 5 to 6 hours). Player count varies, you always need one Game Master (the man/woman with the plan) and at least three or four players, depending on the game you play (the more the merrier, but very large groups are almost impossible to maintain, most of my groups had an active core of 5 or 6 players plus GM). The GM puts way more time and effort in the whole thing than everybody else, the players just show up and do things.

Again, everything depends on the group of players. Back when I was in school we did session over whole weekends and we were way more efficient. My group now meets very irregularly and we are very very inefficient. We need hours for even the most basic tasks. Hell, we needed 6 hours to get on a boat, sit around in the boat and sneak off the boat...

Comment

Maybe this question is very stupid: How does the GM know what to do? Is the plan in game that you buy? Or do you just have a setting and develop your own tasks?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleo View Post
        Maybe this question is very stupid: How does the GM know what to do? Is the plan in game that you buy? Or do you just have a setting and develop your own tasks?
        Not a stupid question at all:
        Most role-playing games provide at least one scenario with their game-master's guide or core rulebook, so the GM can start out just running that. There are also a wide variety of scenarios for sale (and free on the internet) and various folks who provide materials to help people create their own.

Usually after a bit, GMs start to create their own materials, because that's part of the fun of the game. But there is plenty of material available to start with.

Comment

Kaleo The question is not stupid. And you don´t even have to buy a game, my group plays a system that the GM developed himself, but developing a game is an enormous task and basically impossible for anyone without previous knowledge and experience.

You know the "procedure" of a session? Basically the GM tells a story with the players as characters in the story that can act the way the players see fit. The GM is basically some kind of "God" in that scenario, since he is the one who controls the way the session is going and is the only one who knows everything. Think of it like the author of a book. The reader (player in this case) only knows what the author is directly writing (telling) and what the reader can put together himself from context, but only the author knows the complete story. But what that story is about is up to the GM. Most "classic" games are about a group venturing into a dungeon, because they have a mission to do there. Like "rescue the princess from the tower" or something like that. Or it could be a murder mystery in a city where your group is tasked to solve the crime. Of course there are pre-made campaigns for most games and I´d recommend playing one of those if you start out to get a feeling for the game and learn the rules before you go and build your own adventures.

But to answer your question about how the GM knows what to do: The GM has a kind of "checklist" in his head or on paper what the session that day is going to be about. And then tries to get the players to do the stuff on that list to advance the plot. And while the players are doing stuff you have to react to everything they do, which can be a real hassle when the players are "stupid" or don´t want to do the actual story and try to do something completely different. Like trying to steal a boat to become pirates when they are tasked with working for a bank. Try to get the group back on track when everybody is excited to become a pirate... That´s nearly impossible

Comment

Kaleo, maybe a good start to just get a bit of an idea is the Basic Rules for Dungeons and Dragons set. Dungeons and Dragons is the most popular ruleset, and the current version is actually really beginner friendly. I don't say start with D&D, but you can download the basic rules on the website where an introduction into roleplaying is written. You can also skim through the pdf and get a basic feel for how rules often are written (and, if you want to, you have all you need to actually get started).

Aside from D&D, there are many different games and genres to explore. Fantasy is probably the biggest genre, but there's also Cyberpunk (i.e. Shadowrun), contemporary vampire and werewolf stuff (i.e. Vampire the Masquerade), Post-apocayptic (i.e. Fallout) and even comfy travelling games (i.e. Ryuutama). Many games are more or less rules-heavy and focus on combat and exploration, but there are also games more focused on story-telling (Vampire is a big name here).

There also exist one page rpgs, which are very light on rules and excellent for a fun evening without much preparation.

I think a good way to start (in my opinion) is pick some ruleset that catches your eye, gather some friends (or one if you don't find more, I exclusively play one-on-one these days, that's actually quite possible) and try it out. If you pick a system that's free or cheap, the entry isn't that expensive, either. Just have some pens, paper and probably a couple of dice. Then go to town, have fun, and don't forget to bring snacks, for those are very important!

Edit: Just a thought: there's a relatively rule-light system called Powered by the Apocalypse and its wikipedia page lists several games using the system. I throw it in, because it gives you a nice overview on the different genres that can be played in

Comment

"Which game is the best to begin with? How many players do you need? How much time is needed for one game?"
              a) define "best". The Fantasy Trip may be the easiest, some version of D&D the most familiar, GURPS the most 'realistic', and there are more.
              b) you need at least three, top end depends on the size of the room. Or the network.
              c) TFT can run a simplistic scenario in, perhaps, an hour. Some others can run a somewhat more complicated scenario in anywhere from hours to days.
              . . . Scenarios are often inter-linked. I have a series of linked scenarios for TFT; they can be run one at a time - or one right after the other (for hours). Our weekly GURPS campaign has been running for years, four or five hours a week. Similar experiences with AD&D, many years back.

Comment

Thank you all for the information, I‘ll check it out! It sounds really cool! In real life I never dared to asked...

Comment

Working...
                X