What's the best thing about your country (or state)?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The serenity of standing on the Shakespeare Cliff, and not turning around! lol!

Comment

The language is beautiful and makes me feel at home.

Comment

I think one of the best things about Wisconsin is probably that we get all four seasons every year. The thing I love most about NYC is how you can see the world on one island, and how you can get just about anything there.

Comment

Mississippi - southern comfort food
          Texas - everything
          New Mexico - green chili hands down
          Missouri - leaving (well the college I went to there was amazing but the rest of the state can go away)
          Alaska - moose and salmon
          Arizona - church community (while the state as a whole isn't very religious the ones that are form a very welcoming and supporting community)

I think that is all the places I've lived. For the US as a whole I would honestly say the research that comes from our health system is the best. While it has many flaws the freedoms many doctors have when it comes to research is amazing and beneficial to lots of people.

Comment

Originally posted by fatgirlonamission View Post
            ... we get all four seasons every year.
            In Asturias we can have all four the same day, no matter the season, along the 365 days of the year. [info]

About the country? ...I don't know. Spain is quite different from north to south, and in this corner we're not the "tipically spanish". So about Asturias (Asturies for us), I choose nature and food. No doubt.

From the beaches to the ski resorts, it takes an hour by car

Comment

Originally posted by Azercord View Post
              Texas - everything
              Amen to that. I do love my lone star state. But most of all the big beautiful skies, and the fact that we do damn near everything just sliiiiiightly different lol

Comment

jenniferlcd and it is the birth place of Dr. Pepper and you just can't get much better than that.

Comment

Wisconsin- the things I love in whatever random order:
                  the capital in madison ( I roam in there any chance I get)
                  running trail in madison-picnic point
                  all the trees across the state
                  the friendly nature- I don't get looked at weirdly when i say hi to strangers
                  the bike paths
                  the sunshine
                  the light- there is a true gorgeous light during the day time in wisconsin that is unmatched anywhere else
                  the small town feel ( I grew up in a place population 60,000. I thought I was growing up in a city. Now when i go back I love the small town feel)
                  the university of wisconsin- madison ( all the buildings are gorgeous)
                  Last and most important- the feel of the place. My home state has an ambiance that is personal to me. I deeply love it, and it is home.
                  Oh and cardinals- there sweet call means home too.

Comment

I will post my opinion about bavaria and germany here knowing that some people will probably heavily disagree, but what the heck....
                    I think our public health system is pretty decent, we have free education for all, we have good beer, can actually enjoy 4 seasons, have seas and mountains,
                    lots of different dialects, nice landscapes. I like it

Comment

I mostly agree, Nebulus, even though two of our four seasons are only like, two days long

Comment

Originally posted by Azercord View Post
                        jenniferlcd and it is the birth place of Dr. Pepper and you just can't get much better than that.
                        Truth!!!

Comment

Best things about Oregon for me:

Lots of natural beauty, even in the cities

Good public transit and bike infrastructure - you don't actually need a car here in quite a few cities/towns, which is just not true in many places in the U.S.

Delicious local food, and it's not too expensive either

We are not without our problems of course, but I have lived here for 10 years and I'm very happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Nebulus View Post
                            lots of different dialects
                            Even as a fluent German speaker of 25 years' standing I still don't understand most of them Bavarian's all Greek to me

Comment

I'm in Kentucky, and I love the forests. So much of the state (especially Eastward) is densely wooded and it's really a delight to go out and wander the trails. I also like driving all the backroads through the countryside.

Comment

Martyn Ich wusste nicht dass Du deutsch sprichst, tolle Sache! . And: even in bavaria itself there are different dialects of bavarian ... some more and some less understandable (also to people who live in bavaria).
                                But i guess there are also heavy accents/dialects in the UK (scottish/welsh etc.)

Comment

Working...
                                X