X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And the heating is down again... But I can do punches to keep me warm

Comment

Trying to remind myself that I have to eat a LIGHT lunch if I don't want to be miserable during the dive this afternoon. But these leftovers are so good...

Comment

Originally posted by Colin View Post
        I'm trying to do some privacy and security clean-up on my computer and internet use and I've just discovered that Google has a list of everything I've bought that in any way uses my (gmail) email address.
        that makes sense - it's google... they have commercial teams up the wazzoo and mighty servers.

Comment

Thanks Nihopaloa. Legolo, and Amirsh!

Yes, I am trying to limit my exposure to the now, and also updating a lot of sites I use (or, often, that I don't use but apparently gave life-time permission to observe my every move online to a long time ago!).

I've also used https://haveibeenpwned.com/ - which I've seen recommended from trusted sites, and I'm thinking of changing a load of other things too. (If you use the site and your email comes up as PWNED it DOES NOT NECCESSARILLY MEAN that your password is compromised and you have been hacked. They have good information on security on the site too.)

Comment

There are many things one can do to add a bit of privacy to ones web experience, like choosing a privacy-respecting browser, considering script-blockers and ad-blockers, thinking very hard about the OS to use and which sites to visit. There's also the option of using a VPN. The problem is, the more you invest in your privacy, the less comfortable it gets. Especially now that Google holds such power over the surface web (which really is only a small part of the internet, but the most used by the common user). Everyone has to choose for themselves if they're willing to go to these lengths for their privacy. I just wish more people would consider their surfing habits a bit more, instead of using every bit of social media without thinking. The thought about that makes my life far more miserable than it needs to be.

But it's great that you try to change something, Colin!

Comment

Thank you, Nihopala, and thank you for the advice. I've made a lot of changes lately and do have some of those things that you suggest. I would ditch gmail now I know the extent of what they hold on me, but it is hard to do for professional reasons.

As you say, it is a choice!

Comment

Gladly, Colin. If I can help, just ask

Comment

Well... Ha! Now you say that, Nihopaloa... I will try not to abuse your kindness. . .

I use Firefox, which I now have pretty well set up to block tracking and to delete cookies regularly. I do use AdBlock+ (I turn it off for sites I like and trust), but I don't know scriptblockers, is there one I should use?

I keep being offered "password" lockers and password services. Are they worth using?

There, I hope that isn't too much! if there's a good site for advice on security that a not-very-technical person would understand I'd love to see it!

thank you for your help, Nihopaloa, it is very kind.

Comment

No problem, Colin!

Firefox itself is a good choice, but I'd advice to use uBlock Origin instead of AdBlock+ for your ad-blocking needs. ABP needs more ressources than the former (which isn't that big a deal) but they still allow some ads from companies that pay them money to do so. At least they make sure those are reasonably safe, but still... Just make sure you use uBlock Origin, not uBlock.

Regarding script blocker, that's something you have to try for yourself. NoScript is a good one for Firefox, although it can break a few pages, but you can just activate Javascript for those you visit regularly. uMatrix is another choice, you can finetune everything on every page, but it might be a bit overkill (you need dozens of clicks to just watch the videos on Darebee, for example). So, NoScript is probably a good choice.

I can't say much about password services, as I store my passwords on paper (old-school, I know), but I've seen KeePass being recommended often.

Here's a page with a good write up about security on Firefox, and this one's a bit more about general privacy.

Hope this helps and I'm still here for questions

Comment

Those online scam ads are hilarious. Always the same phrases "I make 1325€ a day and don´t have a job" and "this loophole angers german bankiers" and other amusing little lies. The best part is the terrible translation. Example: "Er wurde über Nacht Millionärin". Translation: "He became a millionair (female) over night." How can anybody fall for such obvious and terribly executed scams? Even scam artist should put a little effort into their work... Lazy criminals. But at least they make me laugh

Comment

Just wanted to add: If you need a lot of clicks to watch videos on Darebee (when using uMatrix), that's not Darebee's fault, it's just the way Youtube works. Darebee uses very few scripts and works fantastically with a Scriptblocker, without the need to block anything. Another reason why I love Darebee

Comment

thank you so much, Nihopaloa -

I now have Ublock Origin on, and NoScript and I'll see how I go. Now, I just need to get Google to behave!

So, your generosity is on my mind!

Also on my mind is:

Dried black olives are the best olives, and anyone eating brined olives, or olives in oil, or green olives of any kind is simply wasting their time!

Comment

its getting colder day by day ... snowflakes are dancing in the air ... my summertime has finally arrived (people are still looking funny my way when I am in shirt and shorts outside )

Comment

Colin wasting time with olives (no matter black, green or any other way of preparating olives) is never a wasting of time ... But you are right, dried black olives are really great.

Comment

TheLibrarian Here too! It´s finally snowing, just a little bit but snow nonetheless. Every little bit of snow is great.

Comment

Working...
                                X