X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

finished:

Perry Rhodan #143: Für Menschen verboten

Comment

Recently finished.... ACCEPTANCE (VanderMeer) - Book three of the Southern Reach trilogy, and it's fantastic. A perfect blend of style, substance, structure, tone. The story is interesting, unsettling, and surprising, but it never feels like cheating. VanderMeer's prose is haunting, concise, and beautiful; he weaves profundity into events which are sometimes mundane, sometimes spectacular. Can't recommend this enough. It's hard for a sequel to top the original (and I thought ANNIHILATION was pretty great), but ACCEPTANCE may do just that. Best of the year so far.

Comment

I actually finished a book!

It was:

The Will to Change: Men, Maculinity and Love by bell hooks.

https://bellhooksbooks.com/product/the-will-to-change/

Really excellent. Thought provoking and moving. I would recommend it to anyone.

Comment

Recently finished GULLIVER'S TRAVELS (Swift) - It's pretty good, I wouldn't say great. Some amusing passages and creative episodes. I don't know that it adds up to much, but it's interesting. It was also nice to see that there is much more to the book than the famous bit w/ Gulliver waking up surrounded by tiny people tying him down.

Comment

Finished "The Once and Future Witches", it was really good!

Comment

Recently finished THE STORIED LIFE OF AJ FIKRY (Zevin) - Pretty good, not great. Fast and compelling for a drama. A few really good passages. I can't tell if it's supposed to be a joke that the book eventually uses almost all the cliches it criticized in the beginning, but this bugged me. I also didn't care for the last act much, as it hinges on some medical issues which I don't think the author fully understood. Worth reading, but not amazing.

Comment

I'm currently reading The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer bySiddhartha Mukherjee.
                The book grabbed my attention when it came out but it's a lot of pages and nothing you read just so, i guess. I'm only half way through but it's very well written and super interesting. I'd highly recommend it.

Comment

Finished In Harm's Way, about the sinking of the USS Indianapolis. Back to another WW2 book for me.

Comment

Recently finished FOUNDATION & EMPIRE (Asimov) - I actually liked this better than the first book. Asimov's writing is simple and elegant, but a bit too passive to really do the story justice. At face value, this material is cinematic - it's a space opera written before space operas were really a thing. It's unfortunately written in this very dry, passive voice, though. We'll get to part three soon.

Comment

Recently finished DEATH'S END (Liu) - Overall, I'd say this is the best of the trilogy. It best balances Liu's hard science foundation with his lofty, lyrical ambitions. There is A LOT of questionable/problematic material, though, so you'll have to forgive some pretty horrible material to fully enjoy it.

Comment

The Kaiju Preservation Society Very funny, nice take on corporations, greed and kaijus (that's Godzilla, Mothra and friends). Good entertainment.

Comment

Originally posted by Andi64 View Post
                          The Kaiju Preservation Society Very funny, nice take on corporations, greed and kaijus (that's Godzilla, Mothra and friends). Good entertainment.
                          I'd agree with that description.

What I've plowed through recently.
                          • Tiger and Wolf by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Pretty neat bronze age to iron age fantasy with shapeshifting magic.
                          • Nettle & Bone by T. Kingfisher. A weird and moving fairy tale inspired novella.
                          • Fire of the Dark Triad by Asya Semenovich. Not sure what to think of this one. I really wish we'd been able to see more of the setting without the dark triad traits.
                          • Stolen Focus by Johan Hari. A lot of thoughtful writing on how our current civilization has gotten itself into the trap it's in and some ideas on how to get out of it.
                          • And more that I can't think of easily.
                          In Progress
                          • Island Warrior by Carol Severance. Hawaiian & Polynesian inspired fantasy. Pretty good.
                          • The Bear and the Serpent by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Book 2 in the Echoes of the Fall trilogy.
                          • Shards of the Earth also by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Space Opera!
                          • Ironsworn the Unspoken Vow by Margot Hutton. Ironsworn solo campaign adapted into a short novel complete with the rolls and what the oracles coughed up.
                          • Crucial Conversations.
                          • XDM 2E by Howard Tayler and company.

Comment

I'm working my way through "The End of Everything (astrophysically speaking)" and it's tough! It's really well written and explained, but these are concepts so outside my brain, that I have to really concentrate on each sentence to understand it, and by the next page I've lost it. I was never good in physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Anek View Post
                              I'm working my way through "The End of Everything (astrophysically speaking)" and it's tough! It's really well written and explained, but these are concepts so outside my brain, that I have to really concentrate on each sentence to understand it, and by the next page I've lost it. I was never good in physics.
                              Going to have to check that one out of the library again. Had to return it before I could finish it.

Comment

Recently finished RING SHOUT (Clark) - Very interesting, very cool. Like a movie or comic book put into prose form. A clever mix of body horror, fantasy, and plays like Black wish-fulfillment with justified anger and vengeance. Looking forward to reading more by this author.

Comment

Working...
                                X