No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished a really good book, "The many lives of Heloise Starchild". It's by the same author as "Not forgetting the whale" which I really enjoyed too. Recommend both!

Comment

My partner and I listen to audiobooks while we exercise and yesterday I got to start Night Watch, my very favorite Terry Pratchett, with him. I'm so excited to share this book!

Comment

Originally posted by Sólveig View Post
        I'm done with The Colour of Magic. I have a mild headache, and I'm resisting the temptation to steal a couple of pages from The Light Fantastic.
        I haven't carried on with it just yet since I've been forced to start reading Unholy Blood, and I can't seem to stop reading!

Comment

Just finished the "Celebrated Cases of Judge Dee" ("Dee Gong An" transl. by Robert van Gulik) - a classic 18 century Chinese detective novel - sometimes seemingly similar but then again very different from Western detective literature. I found it very interesting to see what the Chinese readers were interested in contrary to our own traditions.

Comment

Just finished: Perry Rhodan #134: Die Kanonen von Everblack

Comment

I’m reading “The Knights of the Holy Grail.” A rather detailed history of life in Medieval Europe. The author believes the military conflicts between Christianity & Islam of a thousand years ago, set the foundation for some of the struggles today.

Comment

PETERMORRIS966 If you are interested in that period and conflict, I can wholeheartedly recommend Amin Maalouf's The Crusades Through Arab Eyes. He cites contemporary sources and gives a vivid insight in how the Arab people saw the rather barbaric 'Franks' invading their countries.

Comment

Just finished: Perry Rhodan #135: Wächter in der Einsamkeit

Comment

Finished This is How You Lose the Time War (El-Mohtar & Gladstone) - Fantastic, fast read. A fun concept executed perfectly, it's one of my favorites of the year so far.

Comment

Made it into the other part of the Commonwealth Saga, Judas Unchained Still trains...

Comment

Originally posted by Sólveig View Post

I haven't carried on with it just yet since I've been forced to start reading Unholy Blood, and I can't seem to stop reading!
                        I finished it early morning, just when the final chapter was published. Only a 2 part epilogue remains.

I'm going back to Discworld now. Just letting you know, unless you want to shed a lot of tears, avoid this comic at all costs. Unholy Blood is great, but it really rips your heart out

Comment

Originally posted by mavie View Post
                          Now i read "Drei Sekunden jetzt" from Hans Platzgumer. The title translates to "Three seconds now" but there is no english edition.
                          I finished this one last night and i didn't like it much. I wonder why i am not able to quit reading it then. I always keep hoping there will be some plot twist that explains a lot, provides some a-ha effect etc.. Actually there is a twist in the end but a rather predictable and disappointing one.

Do you finish reading a book you are rather disappointed of while reading it? I think I should trust myself more and not give a second to tenth chance so often.

I started reading "Auerhaus" by Bov Bjerg and it's a lot more promising from the first pages already. It's a german author who chose a danish pseudonym and i guess there is no english version of it. I'm looking forward to continue with this one.

Comment

Originally posted by mavie View Post

Do you finish reading a book you are rather disappointed of while reading it?
                            No. Life's too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Baston View Post
                              Finished This is How You Lose the Time War (El-Mohtar & Gladstone) - Fantastic, fast read. A fun concept executed perfectly, it's one of my favorites of the year so far.
                              Hey, that's a good one. Stopped my Peter F. Hamilton marathon for a bit. Thanks Baston

Comment

Andi64 - I'm so glad you liked it! I thought it was a lot of fun.

--------------

Recently finished In a Dark, Dark Wood (Ware) - Frankly, not impressed. I thought it would an entertaining kind of mindless summer read, something light and exciting before trying to find something scary for October. I'm not sure what the critics saw in this, as there isn't much about it that works very well at all. The jokes don't work, the storyline is absurd and stretches all strands of credulity, and the characters (thinly sketched as they are) frankly do not act or speak in any believable way, so their motivations never make any sense, so you don't really care what happens, and so the book just becomes a chore to finish. I've read worse this year, but not by much.

Comment

Working...
                                X