This is a true breakfast of champions! It’s perfect if you are trying to up your nutritional game and/or give up dairy or lower your dairy intake but still would like to eat a yogurt-like breakfast. Plus, it’s one of the best ways to eat broccoli for its cancer-fighting properties - this is how you get the absolute most out of it.
1 tablespoon flax seeds
1Place all the ingredients in a jug and cover with 2 cups of water. Add a tablespoon of pea protein and/or some dried berries to boost nutritional content. Blend everything until smooth.
- Add a tablespoon of pea protein to your smoothie to boost its protein content. It'll taste great, too!
- To make one portion use half the ingredients. Keep the ratio of 1-1 broccoli vs apple & banana when scaling the recipe.
- Golden Delicious apples work best but Red Delicious will be ok too.
- When slicing the apples cut out the tips and tails but keep the core and seeds - there are valuable nutrients there.
- Flax seeds and psyllium act as thickeners and significantly up the fiber content. Flax seeds, psyllium and/or chia seeds will all work. In total you need 3 tablespoons of either (mix or alone) to thicken the smoothie.
- If you don’t want flax seeds sticking to the sides of your jug, add them after blending the main ingredients and run the blender again.
- If you like your smoothie sweeter you can drop in a date or two or double the bananas or apples.