Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sore Today, Strong Tomorrow

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by K e l l y View Post
    I need potassium. I honestly have no idea beyond bananas what's high in potassium, but I'm never even close to 100% RDA.
    For low carbers: Spinach, avocado, tomatoes (dried / canned is also fine), salmon.

    Comment


      Good job on the yoga!

      Maybe take a potassium supp?

      Comment


        Originally posted by sleep_twitch View Post
        For low carbers: Spinach, avocado, tomatoes (dried / canned is also fine), salmon.
        A half of a package of frozen cut leaf spinach is only 10% per Cronometer...but on another website it says a cup of cooked spinach is 24% DV...maybe it loses nutrients when frozen?

        Will need to add pouches of salmon to my shopping list. And check locally for avocados.

        Comment


          Originally posted by K e l l y View Post
          I need potassium. I honestly have no idea beyond bananas what's high in potassium, but I'm never even close to 100% RDA.
          In every German source I've seen the minimum daily dose is set to only 2000mg potassium - opposed to 4700mg according to RDA.
          It's basically in every fruit, vegetable, fish, meat, nuts, you name it.

          Originally posted by K e l l y View Post
          A half of a package of frozen cut leaf spinach is only 10% per Cronometer...but on another website it says a cup of cooked spinach is 24% DV...maybe it loses nutrients when frozen?
          You'll lose the nutrients if you cook/steam/whatever too long and dump the water,

          Comment


            Originally posted by twinkletoes View Post
            It's basically in every fruit, vegetable, fish, meat, nuts, you name it.
            It is, but it seems like really small amounts. Maybe I'll take the German recommendation and aim for 2000 mg

            Comment


              Stability, aka balance and foot cramps. I need potassium. I honestly have no idea beyond bananas what's high in potassium, but I'm never even close to 100% RDA.
              I have the same problem. I eat bananas almost every freaking day, which does help, but I do still get cramps when I am moving/stretching a certain way(aka doing yoga lol). I hear upping your water intake helps...but maybe that's just more for the cardio cramps..

              Comment


                Originally posted by Trbrat75 View Post

                I have the same problem. I eat bananas almost every freaking day, which does help, but I do still get cramps when I am moving/stretching a certain way(aka doing yoga lol). I hear upping your water intake helps...but maybe that's just more for the cardio cramps..
                I already drink a lot of water...and too much water I think you can flush minerals out of your system. Actually, I almost never get cramps, but they were really bad last night (the toe-lifting thing in Revolution surely didn't help) and I had a horrible cramp in my calf this morning, I though I was going to pass out or throw up.

                Comment


                  You can also take magnesium, that will help with cramping as well (potassium works with the muscles and magnesium with the nerves). Watermelon is an amazing source of potassium as much as that helps. Best source as far as food is concerned but very seasonal.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Azercord View Post
                    You can also take magnesium, that will help with cramping as well (potassium works with the muscles and magnesium with the nerves).
                    I was going to post the same, but Azercord beat me to it! Anyway, I hope you find what works, and soon.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by K e l l y View Post
                      It is, but it seems like really small amounts. Maybe I'll take the German recommendation and aim for 2000 mg
                      I stand corrected, just saw some newer publications which also say 4000mg. So not that much of a difference any more. I'm pretty sure, I have not once in my life reached that goal.
                      According to a table I've at hand (not sure how reliable it is though) you have in 100g of
                      - fruits: 77-382mg potassium (most in currants, honeydew melon and bananas)
                      - vegetables: 152-633mg potassium (most in potatoes, corn salad(?), kale, horseradish and spinach)
                      - meat and fish: 140-446mg potassium
                      - legumes: 810-1775mg (lentils, peas, white beans, lima beans, soybeans)

                      Edit: Oh and avocado seems to have around 500mg potassiun/100g,

                      Comment


                        Same here with with the magnesium, I always had cramps in the feet as a teen and it got those magnesium effervescent tablets.

                        Comment


                          Sorry I didn't specify serving watermelon is 30 cal/112 mg per 100g versus bananas 90 cal/ 360 mg so I guess they really are about the same when looking at caloric load (my usual perspective) but 300g of watermelon is so delicious and filling.

                          Lentils are super yummy in lentil soup with sausage and onion.

                          Comment


                            I'm with Azercord , Mamatigerj and twinkletoes : when I get cramps, magnesium helps a lot.

                            Comment


                              Congrats on finishing the Yoga Challenge!

                              Comment


                                Thanks all for the congrats on the yoga challenge!! Didn't seem like that big of a deal but it's the first DAREBEE challenge I've actually finished

                                Strength Day 17
                                Legs Level one.

                                Advent Calendar, Day 1. During a conference call this morning

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X