Lower back pain.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Lower back pain.

    Good day everyone.

    My father has pain in his lower back. It has been persistent for the last year or two.

    A little detail. He says that it hurts more on his right side and it goes from the Coccyx to his lower back. He also said that it gets worse if he walks or stands alot and that ointments with the active ingredient Piroxicam helps ease the pain.

    Some lifestyle notes. He does physically taxing work. He doesn't do any extra exercises other than his work.

    I'd like to ask if there is anything he can do to help ease the pain?

    And also if anyone has an idea of what it might be?

    Thanks in advance for any information.

    Maybe try some lower back stretches to see if it helps? The Lower Back workout works for me.

    And strength it. I like the Back and Core program. Whenever I start to get the kind of problem you describe (not the tailbone just general sore at the lower back) and serious enough I do the program. It works for me.


      Thank you kandy. I'll see if I could convince him to try the lower back workout and hopefully the back and core program too.


        I mean this one specifically when I mention the name of it. For me sometimes it can be an instant relief.


          These two can be done throughout the day:




            If he's been having pain for a year or two, I'd recommend seeing a medical professional: a family medicine practitioner or a muscle activation specialist. They should be able to pinpoint what the exact problem is (muscle, disk, nerve, etc) then formulate a plan to correct the issue. As you can see, it is a complex issue, but I hope I can offer something of value with my limited knowledge.

            The lower back area is a complex area full of muscles both deep and superficial. Most often, tight muscles in the lower back are derived from dysfunction of muscles from below the point of pain (hips and glutes) and or a lack of hip mobility. When we lack mobility in the hip and thoracic spine (mobility areas), the low back (stabilizing area) attempts to give us that mobility. Then when we also ask it to stabilize, they will get tight and spasm causing pain.

            One exercise that can help regain glute strength and activation is the reverse hyperextention. It's an exercise that can be done anywhere (on a box, bench, bed, ottoman). You can do 10 reps daily once or twice a day. Just ensure that you drive the movement from the glutes first: squeeze them together then lift the legs. We need to drive the energy from the bottom up. That's how the kinetic chain works. The glutes need to be strong and need to be doing the work and the lower back can then assist, not the other way around.

            One more exercise you can try is to do a hip hinge or a hip thrust. The same principles apply as above. If you have a band, you can pace it across your pelvis to help you learn how to properly hinge. You can advance the exercise by doing a sinlge-leg hip hinge or go further with a Romanian Deadlift. But start with the basic hinge or thrust first since he is still in pain.

            If the pain is in a spot where you can actually point to and when you apply pressure to it, you may even feel that it radiates to the glutes, then it may be an issue with the glute medius. The location I'm trying to describe it just on the outside of where your pelvis is sticking out on your backside (Posterior Superior Iliac Spine?). The glute medius attaches to the ridge found here. This muscle is responsible for lifting your leg to the outside and to keep your pelvis level when walking. The trendelenburg gait is an indication that this muscle isn't working correctly as well. Additionally, if we don't have equal distribution between the two sides, this can cause unbalance and dysfunction with the glute medius. If from a standing position you lift one leg up (as in a march) and you have shift a significant portion of your weight to the side, the glute medius isn't working properly.

            There are plenty of exercises to help with this muscle. One, sorry I can't remember the name of it, uses the trendelenburg gait as the exercise. You basically stand side-on to a wall, extend your upper arm closest to the wall up at shoulder level and parallel to the wall (used for support), then lift the same side leg up (as in a march) and what you will notice is your opposite hip has moved away from the wall. From here, you will need to use the outside glute medius to push your hip back towards the wall. Do about 10 repetitions 3-4 times a week or daily.

            Another to try is to lie on the floor on your side with your feet stacked on top of each other. The top leg, you'll want to extend it straight behind you (past your mid-line), then elevate it with your feet pointed down, drive the leg forward while bending the knee such that your knee touches the floor in front of you and repeat. You'll be looking to build your endurance over time.

            These are just 2 of the most common muscles in the area that can be causing the issue and most people feel relief if they are consistent. But, there are a host more like, a tight PSOAS, which is why seeking a professional may give you better results faster. I hope I could help in some way ... I know I type too much at times. I'm sorry.


              As Caius said, it's best to see a specialist to find out exactly why he has the pain.

              For years I swore by chiropractors, one of whom found out what caused my back pain (turned out to be scoliosis) and another who kept my bones in the right place. When I went to a GP about back pain, I was told just to take it easy...

              Sometimes you have to see different people about the same thing. I had hip pain and saw a physiotherapist who said I had hip impingement and gave me all sorts of exercises but none of them resolved the problem. Now I'm seeing an osteopath who said it was all due to my scoliosis, and her treatment is actually giving me relief.

              If you could get your father to see a medical practitioner, he might find a solution. But if one doesn't work for him, go and see a different sort.


                Thank you Kaleo, Caius and TopNotch. I'll let him give it a try.