I dread doing Abs...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I dread doing Abs...

    My core is quite weak. But my lower back is weaker. And causes a lot of pain when I do things like crunches, or leg raises.

    I know I need to exercise my core. Its important. But getting down on my back is something I dread these days.

    How can I motivate myself to get down and get it done? Or are there ab exercises I can do standing up?

    #2
    Yes, you can do crunches sitting on a kitchen chair. Just sit up straight, bend forward slightly and tense the abs.

    For the back, stand up and bend slightly and grasp with both hands around the back of the thigh. Pull on the leg and raise onto the toes of that leg, try to pull the leg off the ground but resist with the leg and flex the lower back muscles.

    Tense the muscles, hold the tension then relax, repeat.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by thinman View Post
      Yes, you can do crunches sitting on a kitchen chair. Just sit up straight, bend forward slightly and tense the abs.

      For the back, stand up and bend slightly and grasp with both hands around the back of the thigh. Pull on the leg and raise onto the toes of that leg, try to pull the leg off the ground but resist with the leg and flex the lower back muscles.

      Tense the muscles, hold the tension then relax, repeat.
      Thank you - I'll definitely try that...

      Comment


        #4
        Have a look at these workouts:
        Anywhere Abs
        Chair Abs
        Standing Abs
        Abs & Core Desk Edition

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Nevetharine View Post
          My core is quite weak. But my lower back is weaker. And causes a lot of pain when I do things like crunches, or leg raises.

          I know I need to exercise my core. Its important. But getting down on my back is something I dread these days.

          How can I motivate myself to get down and get it done? Or are there ab exercises I can do standing up?
          I dread doing ab workouts..nice to know i am not the only one,

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Nevetharine View Post
            My core is quite weak. But my lower back is weaker. And causes a lot of pain when I do things like crunches, or leg raises.

            I know I need to exercise my core. Its important. But getting down on my back is something I dread these days.

            How can I motivate myself to get down and get it done? Or are there ab exercises I can do standing up?
            I had a back surgery 2 years ago so I can relate !
            I think you don't need to start with crunches or leg raises, especially if you fear them. You'll be more tense, and it won't do any good.
            Check the back & core program, I'm sure you'll find some exercises you could do.
            For example, on day 1, the bridges were recomended to me by physiotherapists, and opposite arms/leg raises too.

            There are some yoga poses you can do as well, like the child pose, the cat pose (remember to always contract your abs if you do that one).

            When you feel stronger, the plank and elbow plank.
            And crunches (not sit ups) then, exhale slowly when you contract the abs, only the shoulders should raise, your lower back must stick to the floor.

            Edit : I have no idea how to link a program in here !

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Imoen View Post

              I had a back surgery 2 years ago so I can relate !
              I think you don't need to start with crunches or leg raises, especially if you fear them. You'll be more tense, and it won't do any good.
              Check the back & core program, I'm sure you'll find some exercises you could do.
              For example, on day 1, the bridges were recomended to me by physiotherapists, and opposite arms/leg raises too.

              There are some yoga poses you can do as well, like the child pose, the cat pose (remember to always contract your abs if you do that one).

              When you feel stronger, the plank and elbow plank.
              And crunches (not sit ups) then, exhale slowly when you contract the abs, only the shoulders should raise, your lower back must stick to the floor.

              Edit : I have no idea how to link a program in here !
              I've done Back & Core before.

              And I CAN do crunches and things. I'm not quite so weak. Its just that it hurts so much and its so uncomfortable - that I've started loathing it. To the point where I just don't do it anymore or skip it in favor of something I like doing.

              I'm at the point where I'm avoiding doing anything on the ground. Even planks.

              I'm starting to feel this way towards push ups too...

              On the other hand, I LOVE all kinds of cardio exercises I'm noticing. High knees are my favourite. But yeah, those don't exercise the muscles quite as much. They work more towards the heart and lungs. And core strength is really important.

              Comment


                #8
                I wasn't implying you couldn't do anything abs-related Nevetharine, sorry if I didn't express myself in a clear way.
                Just saying that if you fear doing something, but you want to exercise anyway, the best way is to go around it, thus the propositions with the bridges, cat/cow pose and so on.

                Comment


                  #9
                  If you hace access to resistance bands, you can try sledgehammer swings.

                  Shown at 10:00, there may be other exercises in the video you wanna try.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Nevetharine High knees are actually good to exercice the abs, but I get that you can't do too much of it because it's so cardio killer.
                    You should go for "knee to elbow", "march steps" (knee as high as possible), ang "side leg raises" (core).
                    Actually you can find these 3 exercises in the 2 min abs challenge. Also check out the core control challenge

                    Hope it helps

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X