Arms not growing

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Arms not growing

    Im 18
    Hi so I have followed the ironborn challenge as well as some other workouts.
    While I have quite a lean, lightweight, fighter's physique, I would be happier with getting larger arms.
    I lift two 7kg's when doing the ironborn.
    Is that I should be lifting heavier? Or more reps?
    Or is it that I just need more protein?
    http://oi68.tinypic.com/vrc1e0.jpg
    http://oi64.tinypic.com/153med3.jpg
    They are quite skinny when compared to my more triangular body shape, especially when looking at the wrists.

    #2
    Let me add some questions so we can give better recommendations:

    - whats your height?
    - how much do you weight?
    - is ironborn your only workout?
    - do you want bigger arms in general or a specific part of your arm? Forearm, biceps, triceps, hands, shoulder?
    - do you have access to other tools or just dumbbells? (pull-up bar etc.)

    Isolated exercises are the right thing to do. It is very difficult to train the forearms and nearly impossilbe to get bigger wrists. Personaly i would add some more isolated exercises, beside the ones in Ironborn. You can do:
    - tricep extension
    - wrist curl
    - hammer curls

    8-12 reps are good, the last one should be very hard to do (depends on the weight) but still as a clean movement. If you are willing to add some more informations, i will have another look at this thread

    Comment


      #3
      I support that SimonB. I also think that using the same weight all the time is not going to help you. The weight will vary depending on the strength (size) of the muscle and the specific movement (muscles involved), but like @simon said, the last 1 or 2 reps should feel like you CANNOT do 1 more rep. At some point it will feel like you can consistently do 2 more reps and that's your cue to increase the weight so that you give your body an overload. Without that progressive overload, your results will be very modest. Might want to look at this article, too.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by SimonB View Post
        Let me add some questions so we can give better recommendations:

        - whats your height?
        - how much do you weight?
        - is ironborn your only workout?
        - do you want bigger arms in general or a specific part of your arm? Forearm, biceps, triceps, hands, shoulder?
        - do you have access to other tools or just dumbbells? (pull-up bar etc.)

        Isolated exercises are the right thing to do. It is very difficult to train the forearms and nearly impossilbe to get bigger wrists. Personaly i would add some more isolated exercises, beside the ones in Ironborn. You can do:
        - tricep extension
        - wrist curl
        - hammer curls

        8-12 reps are good, the last one should be very hard to do (depends on the weight) but still as a clean movement. If you are willing to add some more informations, i will have another look at this thread
        I'm about 5"7 or 8.
        Not sure how much I weigh, quite light to be honest.
        Alongside ironborn I do the tricep dip challenge, sometimes also strength protocol and boxing training also.
        The only equipment I have are dumbells, 2x 5kg, 2x 7kg, and 2x 14kg (which are too heavy for me)
        Basically want bigger triceps and biceps, my shoulders are very muscular so at the moment I kinda look like Bruce Lee but with smaller arms lol

        Comment


          #5
          Lift heavier with smaller reps. You should look at AMRAP sets as well.

          Comment


            #6
            Check out the meal plans for muscle gain! You might be maxing out on gains from what you're currently eating.

            Comment


              #7
              You are 18 and you want your arms to grow 'large' in a hurry?
              Nothing - NOTHING - in the body-building or fitness world comes nearly as quickly as you might like.
              And, since you are watching the changes on a daily basis, you may not even notice the changes as they are happening.
              Not to worry. Unless you need the metric for a job or some-such, you ought not even check your progress more than once a week.

              Oh, and Joe Smith ​​​​​​​? Welcome to The Hive, the social side of DareBee.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Joe Smith View Post

                I'm about 5"7 or 8.
                Not sure how much I weigh, quite light to be honest.
                Sounds like you need to gain mass. So as _unmother mentioned take a look at the meal plan section.

                Originally posted by Joe Smith View Post
                The only equipment I have are dumbells, 2x 5kg, 2x 7kg, and 2x 14kg (which are too heavy for me)
                Thats ok. How many reps (to failure) can you do with 5/7/14 in one set?

                Comment


                  #9
                  When I was ~18 I weighed ~135 - now ~40% heavier - at 5' 9" tall. And most of my soft tissue was muscle! Talk about 'slender'.
                  Still, I managed to go about my daily tasks just fine, including tennis and basketball. And I 'won' the occasional mix-up I couldn't avoid. 😲
                  But, yeah, I was never happy with being so 'skinny'.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Joe Smith, a few more general recommendations for building muscle, if you haven't seen them already:
                    https://darebee.com/fitness/how-to-build-muscle.html

                    About your arms... when doing compound exercises like push-ups or pull-ups, the larger muscles (in the chest and back) tend to grow before the smaller ones (the biceps and triceps). The arms will catch up eventually, but you need to give them a little more time.

                    If you use dumbbells for isolation exercises (such as bicep curls or triceps extensions), and your weights are comparatively light (7 kg), slowing down the movements will make them much more effective. Focus on form and range of motion, and try not to go too fast. You should notice a difference very quickly.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X