Fit and 60 workout page is not for the fit and 60...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fit and 60 workout page is not for the fit and 60...

Hi all, I am 59 and 9 months old and turning 60 years old on December 10; I saw the new Fit and 60 exercise group page and had a real belly laugh... I do not think 80% of 60 year old Darebee people here will find it very useful; it seems to be designed for the bed ridden, to me. Laughing, can ya try again on that one? Take care.

Ha, as someone who was bedridden for some time (but much younger than 60) I'd have found a lot of those workouts a bit hard at first, mostly on account of non-existent strength.
    My mother-in-law is 62 and likes those workouts, although she can do much better. And then I've seen a lot 60+ people in the course of my life (or even 50+) who would have trouble following most of them. It all depends on personal fitness.
    But you're probably right, most regulars on Darebee are probably more advanced. Then again, I think those collections on the front page are more for the casual visitor of the site.

Comment

The title is Fitness Over 60 not Fit and 60; i think that indicates a different intent, and perhaps you missed the point.. My (58 year old and not very fit) thought is that it is meant to encourage those of us who are older and have not already made fitness a part of our daily life, that it is never too late to begin. Those workouts seem to be mostly DareBee's difficulty 1 (light) workouts, which i have spent most of the past year doing and benefited greatly from.

Comment

Mamatigerj yeah! I was actually hoping to get my parents into exercise and I wouldn’t want it to be too hard at first to discourage them since they have not exercised since I was a kid. And they have issues with their joints and balance. So if fitness over 60 is all difficulty 1 workouts, I think that would be great for them. I wouldn’t expect them to become athletes, I just want them to be stronger and be able to handle every day tasks without it causing them aches. (Long car rides? Standing all day at work? Housework?)

Sometimes I wonder if I should do things for them because it would be easier for me than them, however, I’ve been watching tiktok accounts of Middle Aged and elderly people who are in excellent shape who advise that you should keep doing things yourself as you age to keep you young. (Haha maybe I’m just trying to justify not doing things for them).

Comment

Hekewika Why not both . Doint things for them (like gifts) and doing things instead of them are totally different things. I know/knew some disabled and bedridden people and let me tell you the ability to do things yourself is really uplifling and powerfull. It makes you feel in control of your life and on the other hand the inability to take care of youself is really ...depressing( not the ideal word but you get the idea). It makes you feel dependent and a burden when you have to ask someone else do do for you what you once was able to do yourself.

So do nice things for them but dont treet them like toddlers.

kudos for you and your parents.

Comment

Hekewika my grandmother used to do everything herself until she was in her 90s, from walking into town to buy groceries, to washing and hanging up curtains, to baking torte with three levels(? there-storeyed torte? I don't know how it's called) with decorations, and other things. She lived on her own in that age, too. I have no idea how she did that. She went like that until she had a stroke one day and thankfully a year later she died (thankfully, because she never really recovered). Sometimes it's seriously amazing what old people are capable of. I think as long as there are not any underlying conditions the best we can do is try to be as active as possible, physically and mentally.
            But helping them is nice, too.

Comment

Working...
            X