Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a new collective challenge

Hi bees !
    I've been thinking about a new collective challenge for the Playground section of the Hive for a while but I need your help to figure out some details first.

The idea comes from the video game Noby Noby Boy. In this game you stretch your character (named Boy) to get as long as possible. The score of each players is added to stretch a second character (named Girl) collectivelly. In six years players stretched Girl to Pluto and back to the Sun. I now, it sound weird at first, but it's from Japan.

I'd like to launch a similar challenge for Darebee runners to see how quick we can reach Earth's circumference, the Moon, Mars and so on.

BUT

- is this too similar to another challenge that I don't know of ?
    - should we use kilometers or miles ?
    - how can we automate the calculations ? (I guess nobody wants to do it manually)
    - is there something else to fix that I didn't think of ?

I don't think that there is anything like that on the Hive. Would be interesting to see.

I would use km.

Manual calculations would work, it is what we do in the pullup thread.

Comment

That sounds interesting. Although the last time I ran was for catching a bus. I have somethings to finish, so for the sake of procrastination, I look at the game. The game took 6 years but what I read is the developers created some lucky weeks to fasten the process (they multiply the scores) and still at the end they needed a giant push -though I have no idea how much one can stretch in the game say with 30 minutes playing.

So, is this you idea? Players (bees) run as a part of their program/daily routine. Then, we collect the total amount and give it to darebee (the girl) to make her reach to the several planets.
      you mentioned calculations, do you want to add some sort of luck (as in the game maybe). If not, it’s just addition, each post can add their score to the previous one.
      Note that the distance is really long. Say you start from the earth and go to the moon. If 50 people run 5 days a week 10km each day, still you need more than 2 years to reach the Moon -if I calculated correctly. So, maybe you can divide the actual distance by 1000 or more (in other words you can give 1000x luck to every participant) Or another option you can run between the countries. Or you may create an ultra challenge for any kind of movement -of course for the sake of darebee I mean any physical movement like walk, bicycle not car or plane.

Comment

I think it sounds like a fun challenge. I'm currently working on running 500 miles this year as my personal goal. And so is my daughter.
        Maybe we could start off by running around the world, when we achieve that, next level is the moon, etc
        I think we should be able to do it manually like we do in the pull up thread.

Comment

Sounds like a great idea. I'm trying to build a morning run habit anyway, so this might be a good motivation!

I agree with the others; manual calculation should work.

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback ! Moon glow Pubaertus VLogan @CaptainCanuck

Moon glow I don't mind that it takes a long time. The harder it is the better you feel after reaching it. I've been here for about 5 years and I will probably still be there for the next five. We can add smaller milestones that were not in the game.

For the calculations, I meant that we can automate not only the additions but the conversions between units if people want to use both. But you seem to agree that manual addition is fine.

If I recap using your feedback, the rules would look something like that :
            Step 1 : run
            Step 2 : log your distance (in km) + add it to the total of the previous log
            Step 3 : profit and repeat

Milestones could be :
            - Moon's radius : 1 737 km
            - Earth's radius : 6400 km
            - Moon's circumference : 10 921 km
            - Earth's circumference : 40 000 km
            - Earth to Moon : 384 400 km
            - Sun's radius : 696 340 km
            - Sun's circumference : 4 379 000 km
            - Earth to Sun : 150 000 000 km
            - Earth's Orbit : 940 000 000 km

just to name a few I'll add other planets and astronomical objects later.

Sounds good ?

Comment

It sounds like you have a good plan. I hope to join you around Moon. For now, I count my walkings as an achievement.
              I admired your motivation. I just couldn’t help my self and did the calculations out of the curiosity. If you want to arrive to the Sun, you need to consider bonus multiplication -or find more people to join. (People can still enter the their distance and you can divide the distance between the planets) With real version, if 500 people run 5 marathons (5 times 42.2 km) a week, you will need almost 30 years and full Earth’s orbit will require more than 90 years with thousand people. Wow, I can’t believe we travel this much during a year. The good news is I’m hopeful to join you guys before you reach the Sun.

Comment

Bonus multiplication could be added later if we get bored. Or we could open submissions to walks. We'll see.
                If it's ok for everyone I'll create the thread later today so that I can log my run.

Comment

It's alive !

Comment

If walking is allowed, I am in.

Comment

Originally posted by Louve rose View Post
                      If walking is allowed, I am in.
                      I don't know, What do other bees think ? Should we add walk now or wait when running is to slow to reach new milestones ?

Comment

I think now for people who cannot run because of weakness of legs (no offense) or fever

Comment

miawtthias , no problem if you don't agree! I asked because I thought it would be a waste to "lose" my km when I could have participated.

Comment

Louve rose That's what I thought too. It would feel like losing contributions. Another possibility is to make a second similar challenge for walkers. I'll wait for people to express their opinion and make my decision tomorrow.

Comment

I don't mind having the walked km added, when they are walked for exercise (like, I would not add the km walked to go to the supermarket, unless they were part of the daily workout). So, intentional walking would be fine imo.

Comment

Working...
                              X