Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strong to be useful

Thoughts on the topic?

I think it's really important to remember what you are training for. Your goals might be very different from those stated in the video (e.g., you're just trying to look a certain way, or you're recovering from an injury and just want to be able to do everyday activities again), but keeping that goal in mind and structuring your training accordingly is always the way to go.
    Personally, I don't expect a zombie apocalypse to happen any time soon, but I still think that all the skills mentioned in the video are really important. I particularly liked that he also mentions skills like staying calm under pressure, active regeneration and awareness of yourself and your surroundings. Those don't usually get a lot of attention in discussions about physical fitness, but they are of course not only important for you health and fitness, but for virtually anything that you want to do in your life.

Now a somewhat critical self-evaluation:
    Even though I just said that I think those are important skills, I don't practice many of them. I meditate somewhat irregularly (maybe two times a week), even though I would like to do it daily, but I always forget or think "this is not the right moment", and I don't really practice any of the other mental skills (I do have to learn new things every now and then for my job though, so that's nice). For my physical training, I'm mostly trying to get out of my office job stupor and regain some level of general fitness. But as I progress, I would like to work on the physical skills he mentions, like carrying heavy objects, traversing long distances on uneven terrain, etc., although I don't really know how to go about this, as I live in an urban environment and don't have a backyard, much less a nearby forest as a convenient playground.

Comment

Germany had something called the Wehrpflicht, where every man (not women, Israel has this in the unisex version) had to learn how to do military stuff for... a year? I think?

And personally I think we should sorta reinstate that but cut out the bits about shooting, rifle-cleaning, etc.

Once I was on a train and a man had some sort of attack (we found out later it was an asthma attack). There was a soldier on the train who didn't hesitate to take out the gloves from the first aid kit and see if he was choking. In the military you get trained to do first aid without hesitation and that's a super wonderful skill.

So the new Wehrpflicht could be about teaching people first aid, training them to run long distances, handle crisis situations, do teamwork, etc. All of which are military-adjacent, but even if you're a pacifist these still work for you.

I'm currently in the process of trying to gain basic fitness. I can't do a single push- or pull-up and my back is a limp noodle. My butt is so weak that when I do squats my body tries to recruit every muscle except for my glutes (which sucks, because glutes are kinda our walking uright muscles). The distances I can run are pitiful, which is not handy when I'm trying to catch the tram.

Comment

Not everyone trains for the same reason, but I won't deny that training may have a consecuence. I'll explain with something that's been going on around here: recently, there has been a sudden rise on disappearances and kidnappings that involve women and children. I've been following those since the year begun, and two stories stood out to me when I saw the video: two girls who managed to run away before they were kidnapped. One of them was a martial artist going on her way to the dojo, and the other one was a retired boxer. Of course, I don't know what their goals where, but, according to what they said, the last thing in their heads was to protect themselves from that.

Besides, when you start training, you start to feel different. Personally, I felt lighter, more active and with a better mood. I also felt that I could walk further, to the point in which I can actually travel between cities on foot (which is a bad idea considering how the borders of town is rife with criminals). From losing weight, my goals shifted to actually learn how to defend myself, but that also helped me when the crisis turned for the worst in 2019, which is when I had to gather all the jugs and buckets on the house, and do several trips carrying water back home. I can't say I've been training for this moment, but I feel prepared should something bad occur. I may not be a runner, but I can fight if I need to. I mean, there was a point where, by pure reflex, I got on my guard when someone lifted their arms as if they were to attack me right before they were on actual fighting position. I wasn't attacked, though, but I felt I could have. I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't train.

Comment

Wow I'm not familiar with the state of other countries so I can't comment on these stories but there's a story I heard a few years ago, I think it was in England, and young woman was taking a drink at a park drinking fountain and was attacked. She was a martial artist (karate I think) and the man was much older than the girl (the girl was 17 if memory serves) and she blackened his eyes and broke his nose by the time the police showed up. She said it was down to here karate training that she reacted instinctively to defend herself.

Were I live the traits I'd mostly need are memory, running fast and far and traversing different terrain but me and my brother are usually always together when we travel so he makes up for my lack of fight skills and I can walk forever.

Though if I had to develop any of these skills, I'd go for the mental stuff and fighting bus focus on fighting with a stick or sword or learn to be an assassin (but not kill - defuse a situation/charm etc) I think that would be fun.

Comment

Working...
          X