Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivational Help

Hello,
    Hopefully I articulate this question well. I have been working out since Thanksgiving, and am on day 17 of Spartan Trials and training for a half marathon. Many days it feels like I am struggling with the motivation to get up and do it (usually due to soreness). My question is, when will I like working out, or do I need to approach it with a similar attitude as my job, where it isn't that i like to go, but it is part of life that I need to do in order to live well? Just trying to gauge others thoughts on the subject and try to get my mind right. Thanks in advance.

I think that it depends on your approach to fitness and how it affects your life. For me fitness is something that allows me to live the remainder of my life better. An early moment for me was being able to run up four flights of stairs at work while talking to my boss on the phone and not losing my breath. When I put it in that context of what exercise allows me to do then I don't really care about the soreness and the pain. Those are short term problems, leaving a more fulfilling life is with me as long as I choose for it to be.

Something I like to do is to do some things that are outside of my regular routine. It helps put things in perspective as well as to provide some fun. Instead of a regular workout some day go shoot some basketball, or shoot a puck or something different. It helps to show you that you are progressing while breaking your mind out of your regular routine.

Comment

Thanks, my beer league hockey team has our first game in like 2 months on Friday. Maybe that little break in the monotony will be the boost I need. Much appreciate your insight.

Comment

So I am not an expert on the situation but I have heard that if you start small and make it a habit first then eventually you will enjoy exercise.
        For example
        I am doing 100 Kettlebell swings every morning before even getting dressed. It may just be the initial phase as I have only been doing it for 2 days but there science suggests that after 3 or so weeks I'll have formed that as a natural habit and then from there I can build onto or around it.
        So you could do this for your exercise plan
        Wake up early and do spartan trials (at less than your best, so if you can do it at level 3, do it at level 2 or 1) every morning (if that is what you want to do) or do the same thing with your marathon training (if you can run 6 miles max, go to 75% of that every morning) and build from there.

I hope this made sense but if not here is a video describing the same idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Kakarot View Post
          So I am not an expert on the situation but I have heard that if you start small and make it a habit first then eventually you will enjoy exercise.
          For example
          I am doing 100 Kettlebell swings every morning before even getting dressed. It may just be the initial phase as I have only been doing it for 2 days but there science suggests that after 3 or so weeks I'll have formed that as a natural habit and then from there I can build onto or around it.
          So you could do this for your exercise plan
          Wake up early and do spartan trials (at less than your best, so if you can do it at level 3, do it at level 2 or 1) every morning (if that is what you want to do) or do the same thing with your marathon training (if you can run 6 miles max, go to 75% of that every morning) and build from there.

I hope this made sense but if not here is a video describing the same idea.
          That was a great link. I guess since I switched from doing 3 days a week of cross training/strength training and running 2 days a week and walking one day a week to the 7 days a week of Spartan Trials and the 3 days a week of actual running, I am back to the building new habits phase. Ironically enough, I feel like that video summed up the mental state that I am in (building a new habit) and I just need to keep fighting through. Thank you very much Kakarot. Much appreicated that video.

Comment

Personally I find that building my exercises into my daily routine helps with motivation. As in, I don't have to think "do I feel like doing xyz?" I just do it because it says so on my program. I get up, do this program, work, do this program, work, do this other program. I don't have to think.
            Plus, putting one of the programs at the end of the work day gives me the motivation because hey, work is over, time for sport!

Comment

You may all find this brief post on Motivation to be of use: https://darebee.com/hive/news/769915-motivation. Motivation is a complex subject with many facets. I hope the post helps a little.

Comment

I, like other people in this discussion, am realizing that I need to just fit movement into my day. I have a desk job, so I am not very active most of the day. I have a senior dog to walk twice a day, but she doesn't want to go far. SO........I stand up at my desk while working and do ANY type of movement that gets my heart rate up even if only for a few seconds. Then when I am NOT working, I just do my best to get activity and movement into all parts of my day (parking the farthest away from the store, walking in the woods with my husband and dog, chair exercises througout the day, etc).

Comment

furrymama it's sooo hard to exercise when you have a desk job!! Kudos for creative ways to get movement in. Try doing leg lifts while sitting. Or when you're on the phone you can do calf raises.

cjohnson.usmc I stay motivated by visualizing my goals. You're training for a half marathon, so that's a goal, but can you be more specific? Like, I want to place in the top 5 for my age group in the marathon. Or, I want to feel fit and strong. Yes, you still gotta show up. But it does become a habit and then it will feel weird NOT to workout. You can do it!!

Comment

@Lady Celerity.....I also have my radio playing, so I do some dancing while working. LOL

Comment

Working...
                    X