Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SamFlynn82 there is also NAMI; have you heard of it? They have many free resources https://nami.org/Home

I hate to admit that I have been a parent like this in my past with both my daughter and my stepson. It’s a mistake, but your mom won’t know that until later. My suggestion would be to seek free help away and separate from your parents. Like at school, NAMI, the local crisis hotline can also connect you with low cost or free help. As a parent with depression issues, myself, it seems counterintuitive that “not hearing” my kids would ever happen. I think it’s because we HOPE and cross our fingers that it wouldn’t. Alas, after a kid suicides, it is indeed, too late. I had 2 brothers who suicided in their 50’s. And it ruined my parents in their senior years….get help where you are and keep journaling here if that helps. Hugs to you.🙆🏻‍♀️🙆🏻‍♀️🙆🏻‍♀️

Comment

SamFlynn82 healing vibes and fighting vibes to keep going to you

Comment

I second the suggestion of contacting https://nami.org/Home!

Comment

SamFlynn82, I am very sad to hear that they people around you aren’t open to your feelings. So times it hard for others to understand and then become dismissive which makes things hurt even more. Please check out NAMI.org, I know that for me the best help has been talking to a counselor. I also want to let everyone know that there are warm lines, this are lines for when you just need to talk to someone. https://warmline.org/warmdir.html
          I never feel like what I was feeling was enough of a crisis line, tho feeling have a way of building up so warm lines are a great way to get them out before a crisis. I know it is hard sometimes but you have to keep talking, depression is not going to get better if you don’t talk your feeling out! Sending you big hugs!

Comment

Trbrat75 and everyone else (I wish I could @ everyone like I was trying to do) thank you for all your support. I will certainly check out NAMI, especially once this family vacation is over since it has been absolute hell.

Comment

Just posting a thought I had yesterday.....while running...
              It takes a little over 1 mile to out run the demons in my head. Literally, first mile on and off tears and struggle to move, cross over the mile, and then I realize I'm noticing the rocks in the trail, the leaves, planning what's next when we get home, none of the sinking into the hole feeling, or the screaming whirlwind in my head. Felt more calm than when I started. The brain and body connection has always amazed me, every time I see or feel it happen.
              My kids would laugh if I told them it happened right after I crossed the creek. One of them told me years ago that when planning breaks on runs, you have to get over whatever bridge or stream crossing is next before walking bc that's how it is in all the stories. If you cross the bridges or stream you are safe from whatever monster is chasing you in the story. Those are magical barriers from bad things.
              Wasn't even thinking this when I crossed that stream. I'd crossed a few bridges but this was the first in the water, feet wet crossing I'd done, and it happened at 1 mile.
              Felt the need to share, maybe someone else needs to hear.

Comment

VLogan that is so true!!

Comment

Hi SamFlynn82 Excuse my late contribution to this. All editing is mine.

There are two main things that stand out to me here.

Originally posted by SamFlynn82 View Post
                  I also just turned 21 so alcohol is actually kinda helping mellow me a bit
                  First of all, belatedly happy birthday!

Alcohol in itself - in moderation - is not particularly a problem but it's easy to slip into a cycle of addiction. A couple of drinks once or twice a week won't hurt you; just be careful it doesn't become a couple of drinks most nights and then a few drinks nearly every night. It can creep up on you and you may not realise it until much later.

I have a girlfriend now, but yeah, I want to be the person she deserves. She thinks I’m fine the way I am, but I want to be better for her, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
                  We all want to be the best person we can for those we love, and that's a good thing. The important part though, is the bit I've put in bold. There is no need to try to be the perfect boyfriend; you only need to be the one for her - which she clearly thinks you are - so don't worry about that part it's the same at work/school... you name it. Just bask in the glory

Comment

Trbrat75 yeah I know, it’s how I feel around my parents. Anytime I try and bring up that I may have depression or that I have moments where I want to commit suicide they blow it off as attention seeking. Now whenever my mom ask me what’s wrong, but I’ve come to a point I don’t even respond and I’ll say nothing, but she’ll just get pissed off with me for saying nothing and she’ll say that it’s obviously something. Like what am I supposed to say? If I say the truth it gets blown off and it’s starting to affect my relationship because I don’t talk about my feelings with anyone and my girlfriend doesn’t like that, like she loves me and she wants to help but I just don’t know if I can open up. She’s already threatened to breakup with me once because she doesn’t feel I’m in the right mental state. She understands what I’m going through and wants me to see a doctor or a therapist but at the moment I can’t afford those
                    SamFlynn82 hopefully I'm still in time here...

Your girlfriend is giving you some big hints here. She clearly trusts you enough to accept what's likely to come, so use her as your therapist. The best bit: she's pretty much free. OK, maybe the odd coffee or bunch of flowers or a small gift (even $10), but that's peanuts compared to what a professional therapist would cost (I'm guessing $100+ an hour?)...

Keeping everything bottled up inside you will not help. Eventually it will all come out, at a time and place very much not of your choosing, and there will be nothing to mitigate the blast when it does happen. Been there, done that, had to pick up most of the shrapnel on my own. Not pleasant.

Your parents also seem quite old-school in their view towards mental health, which is ... unfortunate... that's about the best word I can find for now.

And don't forget, there's always the amazing DAREBee community!

Comment

Martyn hey… thanks for the happy birthday. I will admit I have found myself drinking more in light of recent events. I also no longer have to be a perfect boyfriend anymore, so yeah

Comment

OMG...Why do people have to be such idiot a-holes?

Reading the comments sections of Microsoft News and I weep for humanity.
                        EVerything devolves into name-calling and cliched comments like "Get out of your Mom's basement and get a job and you'll understand."

I have to come here and get a breath of positive vibes......

On that note:

You guys are great and you're rocking your health journey....

Be proud of yourselues and know that we have your back..

#lovemorejudgeless

Comment

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wel...zMC?li=BBnbfcL

Comment

dose anyone here do karate?

Comment

Originally posted by MuscleMan500 View Post
                              dose anyone here do karate?
                              I used to do TaeKwonDo and Krav Maga. The school near me closed which is one of the main reasons I don't do it any more. I still have a punch/kick bag and lots of equipment that I use in workouts. I've often thought that I should relearn all the forms bc those can be quite meditative.

Comment

I recently had a visit with a new psychiatrist to get back on meds. Just wanted the meds I've had in the past that have worked. I mostly manage my anxiety/depression with coping skills, exercise, diet, etc but after the last 2-4 years, my battery is depleted and I need a round of meds to get back to a better baseline.

My question to everyone is: have you ever gotten a diagnosis that afterwards you were left going WTF? She visited with me for 30 minutes, mostly just rattled off questions, not much discussion. And then slapped a brand new label on me. I've talked with my therapist, family, and friends, and all of them agree....she did not correctly diagnose. Meds are exactly the same, however.

Has anyone ever had this happen? Do I challenge her diagnosis? Does it really matter in the long run?

Comment

Working...
                                X