When to stop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to stop?

I just weighed myself after... restroom duty. 168.2 pounds. I honestly don't know what to think. One of my colleagues told me that by losing weight, I'll also end up losing energy. Also, with my mother seemingly worried that I'm not eating enough... and me not knowing at what point to stop...

I checked the different Ideal Body Weight calculations, and it says that I should be at around 155 to 165 pounds, with the Healthy BMI range going from 129 pounds to 172 pounds.

My current BMI is at 24.1, which is on the higher range of the 'Normal' scale. So... how much more weight should I drop?

That's a difficult, but personal question. As long as you're in the healthy ranges of your BMI (provided you're a 'normal' person, by which I mean, no powerlifter, professional athlete and/or still possessing all your limbs) you should probably stop when you feel good about your weight.

Or, here's another approach: Decide on your goal. Do you just want to lose weight? Set yourself a number, maybe around a BMI of 22, where you stop and start eating at maintenance. Do you want to lose body fat? Set yourself a rough goal you don't want to fall below (weight, body fat percentage) and look into the mirror often on your way to that. Stop losing weight when you're satisfied with your mirror image and/or you've hit your goal numbers. If you hit your goal numbers before you are satisfied with how you look, stop anyway and reassess your strategy.

If you shoot for just losing weight and you feel good, healthy and reasonably energetic, I'd go for a weight around a BMI of 22, on account of it being in the middle. If you don't feel good during your efforts, check your nutrition, see if there's a lack of something (proteins, for example). Maybe consider taking a multivitamin a day (you can also try that if you feel low on energy). Don't eat at a calorie deficit of more than 500kcal, either. Drink a lot (you probably know this already).

But I would just settle on a goal and a few numbers, and go from there. If you feel good doing what you're doing, try not to let yourself be hampered in your progress by the words of others.

Comment

Originally posted by Nihopaloa View Post
      That's a difficult, but personal question. As long as you're in the healthy ranges of your BMI (provided you're a 'normal' person, by which I mean, no powerlifter, professional athlete and/or still possessing all your limbs) you should probably stop when you feel good about your weight.

Or, here's another approach: Decide on your goal. Do you just want to lose weight? Set yourself a number, maybe around a BMI of 22, where you stop and start eating at maintenance. Do you want to lose body fat? Set yourself a rough goal you don't want to fall below (weight, body fat percentage) and look into the mirror often on your way to that. Stop losing weight when you're satisfied with your mirror image and/or you've hit your goal numbers. If you hit your goal numbers before you are satisfied with how you look, stop anyway and reassess your strategy.

If you shoot for just losing weight and you feel good, healthy and reasonably energetic, I'd go for a weight around a BMI of 22, on account of it being in the middle. If you don't feel good during your efforts, check your nutrition, see if there's a lack of something (proteins, for example). Maybe consider taking a multivitamin a day (you can also try that if you feel low on energy). Don't eat at a calorie deficit of more than 500kcal, either. Drink a lot (you probably know this already).

But I would just settle on a goal and a few numbers, and go from there. If you feel good doing what you're doing, try not to let yourself be hampered in your progress by the words of others.
      A BMI of 22 would drop me to 154 pounds. That sounds a little low. My main goal would be to get rid of my pudge. I'm currently at 35" waist over 38" hips, so my ratio there is already at 'Low Risk'.

Maybe I should calculate my Body Fat Percentage and see how much I should drop from there.

EDIT: Okay, so... Body Fat percentage is at 22%. That number is considered 'Acceptable', but if I want to be in the 'Fit' level, I need to drop 4% of body fat, which would make... seven pounds. That would set me at 161 pounds.

Comment

Sounds good, any weight that makes you comfortable (and healthy, that's important) is a good weight. Depending on your fat distribution and genetics, you might lose fat within those seven pounds where you don't want to lose it (you're probably aware of this already). Anecdotal evidence often tells of men wanting to lose their bellyfat, for example, start a cut, drop body fat like crazy and end up with everything lean besides... their bellies. Don't get disheartened, though, work towards your goal and see what happens. You can always fine-tune later.

Comment

Working...
        X