Be The Hero Of Your Own Fitness Journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be The Hero Of Your Own Fitness Journey

Hero's Journey was the first of our RPG fitness programs so it is fitting that I visit it last. In many ways it is what sparked it all off and it came about during a late-night discussion on how we motivate ourselves to keep on going when we feel we can't. A couple said they just powered through. There was discussion of imagining being chased by flesh-eating zombies and talk of having a movie playing in your mind where you are the hero and you just cannot give up. So, Hero's Journey was born. We wanted to make it as entertaining as possible and, also, allow for some flexibility. We had recently started to introduce weapons' training in our fitness workout options and it felt natural we integrate some of that in this program. We also made it 60 days long. In a way that was our lack of data on how programs are used. Sixty days represents a significant commitment of time and energy and we discovered that it became a stumbling block as a lot of people were simply not prepared to commit that long, up front.

This was knowledge that allowed us to split Age of Pandora into two parts that would enable those who did the first part to take a breather if required before launching into the second. Hero's Journey lent itself, quite naturally, to a book format. We wanted the program to have some real-life feel to it so many of the choices that lead to actions have consequences that only become apparent later. This, we felt, helps promote clearer thinking and deeper reflection plus it added to the storyline. The fact that there are Karma Moments that affect the Hero's Progress was something we loved from the beginning. Hero's Journey truly makes you the central character in your own fitness journey. For that you get what you created through the decisions you made.

Over the years we have had a lot of emails regarding Hero's Journey. Some want us to beef up the storyline in the paperback. Others want a sequel to it. We have taken all of this onboard. It has helped us create better story lines that are deeper and require more mental commitment and it has helped us create workouts based around narrative structures that flow better. Her's Journey, as the first one of them all for DAREBEE broke new ground in RPG fitness, set a trend across the internet and has remained a firm favorite.

I know many of you have done it so I am eager to see here what your impressions were, what you liked about it and what you didn't.

This is the program that got me hooked on DAREBEE. This is the first DAREBEE program I ever did. I've completed it three times (each time trying to beat my score from the previous run). It's my favourite program. I love the customizability with the weapons' choices and the karma choices.

For this particular RPG fitness program, I think the minimal narrative told mostly through workout titles is ideal because the Hero's Journey is an archetype, and each of us get to live out our own personal Hero's Journey. We get to fill in our own details (e.g. my final boss can be different from your final boss--is it a dragon? A giant? A swirling embodiment of evil?).

For this program, I wouldn't add much to the narrative. I would keep the way it is, suggesting themes from the monomyth through its titles, and let each bee experience their own personal quest. Rather than a direct sequel, a spiritual successor would be cool. Having learned all that you have, how would you make the Hero's Journey from the ground up in 2020?

Thank you DAREBEE Team for this fitness masterpiece. I can't wait for Spellbound.

Comment

I did the Hero's Journey program exactly after Age of Pandora and my intent was after surviving to become a better version of myself, yes I really like to give a symbolic meaning also to what I do, fortify my intention
      The idea of ​​training with weapons is fantastic, it allows you to customize your training every time and even being able to choose your own karma makes you aware that there is always a price, in one sense or another, which is quite a lot also useful in everyday life.
      I would have preferred a little more descriptions but it is true that in the stringed format it has, everyone can imagine what they want and maybe it's better this way.
      Everyone wants to be heroes and understanding that exercise can help you improve your life is also very important, so RPG programs are wonderful to really prove that training can be fun, it depends on how you do it
      60 days are many and this also teaches something
      In the period in which I did it I also saw many others doing it and they were all enthusiastic

Comment

I was going to do Hero's Journey earlier this year, but if I remember correctly, I had restrain myself to do so because I didn't have the time for it, so it's been on my backlog for a while. My plan, after all, was to do it right after Superhero Week, which was really fun on its own. From beginning to the end, the program felt like a call back to movies such as Man of Steel, Batman Begins and Spider-Man (2001). Some of those days I actually pictured the guy from the illustrations as an actual superhero, with his own costume and everything, saving the planet and enduring the challenges on each day. It's a long program, but the appeal is very similar to the one from Zero Hero.

Now that I think about it, this feels like a series on its own, writing itself: Zero Hero, Hero's Journey and Superhero Week. Considering how the difficulty increases with each, it actually feels more like an origin story on how your training can make you your own hero.

Comment

I remember it was Hero's Journey and Avatar Upgrade, that got me into DAREBEE.
          Can't believe it's been 5 years already! The concept of a fitness program as an RPG blew my mind.
          I remember I suffered quite a bit with Hero's Journey, but the results after the 60 Days, spoke for themselves( 10 pull-ups in one go. were unlocked, among other things).
          I'm hoping to go on that journey again, sometime soon.
          But for now, waiting in anticipation, for Spellbound!!

Comment

Like a lot of people, I got attracted to Darebee when someone else had linked to a "superhero" workout. Immediately fell in love with the resources and started the Darebee journey. I was already exercising pretty regularly, but loved how the vast majority of workouts and programs can be done without any equipment - and as my wife and I had an infant and were considering a big move, the idea of being able to exercise anywhere and still get a good workout was really appealing.

Hero's Journey was the first program I did, and it will always hold a special place.

Comment

I have been going through this with my wife. We really enjoy the story aspect and make it our own. We try to make the best choices for us at the time and love how it makes a difference.

i guess if I had to make a complaint, it would be, what is the exp for... we tally it up, but does it ever get used?

Comment

locksmitharmy As I see it, the exp is your score. If you ever repeat the Hero's Journey, you can challenge yourself to beat your high score.

So, while it's not really used in the Hero's Journey, it can be used across Hero's Journeys.

Comment

Hero's Journey is my favorite, followed by Ironborn and Spartan Trials. I completed it on a second attempt and it was an achievement! Will have another crack at it next summer.
                  Agreed that the weapon options give it a nice customizable feel.

Comment

Working...
                  X