COVID-19 Extra help and offers from companies to make life easier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COVID-19 Extra help and offers from companies to make life easier

Hi everyone, lots of places are currently offering extra help, increased access or reduced fees to make life easier at the moment. I thought this would be a good place to collect information on what is available in one place. If anyone has things to share then please post them and I'll add them to this first post. Anything like charities offering food for people in need would be especially useful but anything that can help people get through this time can go on the list. I'll order them by country to make it easier to find, and if it's needed by area if they're local to specific regions of a country. I've started with a few things I'm aware of in the UK.

General
    Scribd - 30 days free access to their ebook and audiobook collection (not a free trial, no card details needed, though you will need an account)
    JSTOR - are giving increased free access to students, as well as having some content already available to the general public
    Cambridge University Press - all textbooks available for free online, as well as free access to coronavirus research
    Oxford University Press - free access to student ebooks and free resources for parents and learners
    Guardian link to list of livestreaming art, music and literature events
    Joe Wicks is hosting a live 30 minute PE session on his YouTube channel at 9am Mon-Fri to help keep kids active
    Headspace - free access to Weathering the Storm collection of meditations
    Calm - free resources including meditations and soundscapes

Canada
    Caremongering - "A group for sharing and organizing community resources in response to COVID-19. The goal is that all community members have access to basic necessities." - Facebook groups that allow people to post what help they need or what help they can offer

UK
    Co-op - £20 vouchers for food per week for students receiving free school meals at Co-op Academy schools
    Aldi, Asda, Lidl and Tesco are recruiting 36,500 staff between them if anyone has lost their job
    Halfords - offering free car checks for NHS workers. This includes top-ups of tyre inflation, screen wash and checks on oil levels, headlights and brake lights. They're also waiving the fee for an MOT retest for anyone who because of coronavirus has missed the ten day window for a free retest after failing an MOT
    The Help Hub - offering a free listening service from therapists by phone, Skype and Face Time in 20 minute sessions for people self-isolating
    Supermarkets - most have set times in store for NHS workers, elderly and disabled customers and priority for deliveries, check store websites because these are changing regularly

Updates:

General
    Scribd - 30 days free access to their ebook and audiobook collection (not a free trial, no card details needed, though you will need an account).
    JSTOR are giving increased free access to students, as well as having some content already available to the general public
    Cambridge University Press - all textbooks available for free online, as well as free access to coronavirus research
    Oxford University Press - free access to student ebooks and free resources for parents and learners

UK
    Aldi, Asda and Lidl are recruiting 16,500 staff between them if anyone has lost their job

Comment

Checkout "CareMongering" on social media. This is a community-base grassroots activism concept which started in Canada but is spreading like wildfire. The basic concept is a facebook group for a local community which helps to connect people in need with local resources, and people wanting to help with local people in need. My local group describes itself as "A group for sharing and organizing community resources in response to COVID-19. The goal is that all community members have access to basic necessities." People who need help with something can post #NEED (for instance, people who need to self-isolate may need supplies which they cannot go out to get themselves) and people offering to help post #OFFER (if they have extra supplies they're willing to share, or if they're going out on a supply run and are willing to try to pick up supplies for local seniors or others who may need to self-isolate for health reasons, etc.). My local group also uses #SHOP which is for posts to notify people of which local stores have hard-to-come-by-these-days products on their shelves.

Comment

Thanks Rainbow Dragon, I've added that to the list. It's a fantastic idea and I love it when people come together like that.

Here's a link to a list of livestreaming music, art and literature events.

Adding also, Joe Wicks is hosting a live 30 minute PE session on his YouTube channel at 9am Mon-Fri to help keep kids active.

Comment

Another one, Halfords are offering free car checks for NHS workers. This includes top-ups of tyre inflation, screen wash and checks on oil levels, headlights and brake lights. They're also waiving the fee for an MOT retest for anyone who because of coronavirus has missed the ten day window for a free retest after failing an MOT.

Comment

Updates:
            The Help Hub (UK)- offering a free listening service from therapists by phone, Skype and Face Time in 20 minute sessions for people self-isolating
            Calm - free resources including meditations and soundscapes

Removing the National Trust from the list as they have now closed all sites. McDonalds is closing from the end of today. I'm not trying to keep up with what the UK supermarkets are doing now because there's too many changes too often. Their websites are updated regularly.

Comment

Working...
            X