Punching alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Punching alternative

Long story short, I have some tendinitis with my left shoulder which i got for the first time a couple of days ago. I'm still able to workout and have been swapping a couple of moves (ex. switched jumping jacks for high knees, arm circles for bicep extensions)

I looked ahead for my workout tomorrow and there's a decent amount of punches. I would rather not skip the workout when the rest of it seems doable while I recover. Should I sub the punches out for high knees as well? Or can you think of a better alternative?

The only move that has me completely stumped is planks. It doesn't hurt for me to hold a plank but I'm also not sure if I should hold a plank while I recover so I have been avoiding them but at a loss for an alternative for that one.

ameliajp If properly executed, punches should be working your core and lower body, as you drive out of your legs, transfer the energy through rotation of your hips and then throw your punch. If you wanted something similar you might consider accentuating those movements, for instance squat for power into a hip rotation and then leave out the punch? That way your shoulder would not be so involved but you would be working most of the same areas.

Comment

Twists might give you much the same core workout as punches, without stressing out your shoulder.

Comment

I would do something light to replace punches, like this workout:
        Upper body Works Workout
        maybe not the whole workout but I would take inspiration from the exercises

Comment

Thank you CaptainCanuck Kanary Fremen !

Comment

For planks, you might consider knee planks, or back hyperextensions (sort of like reverse sit ups)
            Click image for larger version  Name:	1010-back-extension_kindlephoto-364810519.jpg Views:	0 Size:	25.5 KB ID:	632285

This illustrates the movement. Take it slow and hold the extension. In fact, this picture shows the person overextending a bit. Raise your shoulders and back to "plank position."

If you don't have a Swiss ball a bench would do. Don't overdo the lower back. Because planks also work the abs, make sure you tighten your core through the exercise.

Comment

Working...
            X