Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slower Reps

So, i've heard that doing slower reps is better for gaining muscle. Now, since I want to increase weight, I need more muscle. So is this true? because if it is, I will change my some of my workouts to use slower reps.

Disclaimer: this is all purely theoretical. I'm not a trainer and I'm not a medical professional. I just read stuff.

Slower motions, especially against resistance, need more muscle tension to execute - both the targeted muscles and their antagonists. So, going slower will exhaust the muscles faster - which means less reps and less of an aerobic component to your workouts. Aerobic training, on the other hand, tends to boost "central exhaustion" more than actual muscle exhaustion ("peripheral exhaustion"). With central exhaustion, instead of the muscles getting pushed to their limits, only your control of the muscles is exhausted (and perceived effort increases). This is counter-productive if you're most interested in muscle gains. If you want both muscle gain and aerobic training, it might be a good idea to do your slow reps (which are intended to exhaust the muscles) first, and more aerobic exercises afterwards.

The other really important part is doing the exercises correctly - doing them a little differently can load off more of the work to a different muscle than the one you're targeting. Based on your profile thingies I suspect you've heard about this by now... but for the sake of completeness I'm mentioning it anyway.

Main source if you want a lot more details: https://www.strengthandconditioningr....com/articles/

Comment

Thanks you jast

Comment

We tackled this exact topic with this experiment: [2 minute pull up]

With the results and a more detailed explanation here: [Results]

Comment

Ok, thank you Raven!

Comment

Working...
          X