Not seeing change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not seeing change

I know it takes time. I'm eating healthy and staying on track with my workouts. I'm not seeing results as fast as I'd like.

The only advice I can think of is for you to try to focus on the process itself, rather than on the results. Fitness is not something you do until you achieve the end goal -- it's something you keep doing until the rest of your life. The goals you want to achieve might be attractive and inspiring, but you're more likely to stay on track long-term if you learn how to get pleasure from your everyday routine: the pleasant tiredness in your muscles after a workout session, the sense of achievement when you're able to do one more set of a workout than before, the way your body appreciates a balanced mealplan, etc... The visible results are just a nice side-effect.

Comment

Just yesterday I finished my first major fitness goal, by losing 100 pounds. I weighed myself on Wii Fit most days, so I could see my progress in a chart. I did lose the weight pretty fast, the majority was 93 pounds since February 1. In that time I hit one pretty long plateau and three minor ones. The downward trajectory of my weight loss also changed about halfway through to being far less steep.

All of that is to say that that you can't depend on your body to react to exercise and healthy eating as a direct relation. There were a lot of other moments that were good markers though, and be sure to appreciate those. The first time that I had to run up stairs and not have to catch my breath at the end felt great once I realized it. There are a bunch of such moments which are other signs of progress.

Just keep at it!

Comment

Just another thought ... do something outside of your regular routine or outside your comfort zone. Breaking up your routine can help too.

Comment

This is perfectionism in disguise.

These thoughts may ( & DID for me) cause you to give up, & then you really won't see progress. You've got to shoot the impatience down; it will NEVER happen as fast as you like.

And I can say that, because I've been trying to get in shape for 18 years without success, because I gave up before I saw a result that I thought was "good enough". Just keep going, & don't stop until you're happy with what you see; which also may be never!

Comment

I found I really liked jogging pretty early in my efforts to make fitness a habit (still love it). Just mentioning jogging because I went from 0.25 miles to 0.5 miles pretty quickly. It seemed like I'd never be able to run a mile, then I could. Jogging also precipitated a return of mental clarity that I was lacking.

It might be harder to see progress in a program vs. jogging but you are laying groundwork for beast mode right now. Someone on the hive said 19 days makes a habit and once you're in the groove adding more exercise may feel welcome.

Also want to add that when I started, all I could muster some days was the classic warmup workout. I made that a habit and started doing other small workouts (battle angel) then started fighter's codex once I realized I was doing this for real. Now I'm working on a custom gym schedule with 3 jog days which I couldn't have ever fathomed when I started.

Anyway keep rockin' it; maybe add jogs a few times a week. The work you're putting in now is important for getting your body used to moving, tendon health, and habit forming. You're doing things right as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by enigmatic319 View Post
              This is perfectionism in disguise.

These thoughts may ( & DID for me) cause you to give up, & then you really won't see progress. You've got to shoot the impatience down; it will NEVER happen as fast as you like.

And I can say that, because I've been trying to get in shape for 18 years without success, because I gave up before I saw a result that I thought was "good enough". Just keep going, & don't stop until you're happy with what you see; which also may be never!
              So true. I think such uncertainty is the hardest part for beginners. You gonna have faith in it, until you start to see some results, at least.

Comment

It's never fast enough, is it? Haha

I look at it this way: if you're doing it RIGHT (ie, actual lifestyle change versus crash/fad diets, overdoing it, etc), then it SHOULD take a while. It took me ten years of dietary changes and routine exercise to reach my goal weight.

It's a cliché because it's true: fitness is a journey.

Comment

You don’t mention what results you’re hoping to see. If it’s fat loss, take a look at your diet. If it’s muscle gain, take a look at your diet. If it’s those things and/or pretty much anything else, patience and consistency are key.

CaptainCanuck Amazing! Way to go!

Comment

M_ekel You can always train harder, be more active than you are.

Comment

In the blind chase after perfectionism, I haven't seen results in a year. Each time I stop before I could see any. Or I go from one extreme to the next (diet wise). I'm working on getting rid of that mindset. But it's not easy.

Comment

Not sure what your goals are and the exact details of what you are doing but for me it helps if I keep a journal (both diet and workout) and track my progress. I know scale and bmi arent good measurements so I try to stick with using measurements from a tape measure and body fat calipers.

Comment

Robert Cheeke talks a bit about why people don't see any change . . .

One of Roberts quotes: How bad do you want it ?

Comment

M_ekel ... you've been at this for a whole month?
                            How long have you been working at being who you are at the moment, a couple of decades?
                            And you are concerned about not seeing a significant change in a month?

Have some faith!

Comment

I do have faith. This is a lifestyle change for me and I wont give up. I'm just taking one day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                              X