X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Home, New Diet

Hi Bee-family!

So, we are moving soon to a tiiiiiiny coastal town. Like, 700 residents. I've been sick with digestive upset for a week now, blah. Everytime I eat a cup of food, I look 6 months pregnant. I'm thinking of going back to eating vegetarian full-time, or rather, flexitarian. That's basically just because, all of a sudden I realized yesterday that Global Warming and eating animals actually makes me sad? I don't eat meat often. like maybe thrice a week, and then only chicken. I'm not one of those people who force my diet on others, but its basically for my own emotional wellbeing. I don't want to eat something if I am going to be bothered by my conscience for it every time, because it makes eating unpleasurable.

Beans is a no-go though... ask my very bloated stomach and super angry colon why...

We are moving to a fisherman's village. So my new diet will consist of lentil/split pea mix, dairy, eggs and seafood as protein sources. Fish also make me kind of sad, but yeah. It's affordable (well, free) there, because my husband will be fishing.

Guess I'm just sharing the news of our new life. And asking if said protein sources above will be adequate (essential amino acid wise) and in which amounts I should aim to eat them daily?

Have a great week Bees!

The myth about plant-based proteins being "incomplete" or lower quality bc of "missing" amino acids has been debunked a long time ago. Just make sure you eat variety of vegetables, grains, nuts. And you have nothing to worry especially if you're still eating diary and seafood.

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
      The myth about plant-based proteins being "incomplete" or lower quality bc of "missing" amino acids has been debunked a long time ago. Just make sure you eat variety of vegetables, grains, nuts. And you have nothing to worry especially if you're still eating diary and seafood.
      Thanks! I didn't realize its been debunked. Mm. Haven't actually researched that field in some time. (2 years to be exact).

Currently the veg-variety isn't so great because of budget restraints. And the only "nuts" I can afford are peanuts. But hopefully that will change at our new home.

I plan on setting up a veggie garden in the near future there, and a chicken coop for eggs. But painting and repairing the house there takes priority now...

I'd love to add stuff like soymilk, quinoa and amaranth. But those are out of my budget. And honestly, not neccessary.

Comment

I don‘t know how expensive seeds are where you live, but rocket grows really fast and is delicious for salads and on sandwiches.

Comment

Take it easy. As I said you don't plan on going fully vegan so I don't think you have to worry about that. The norm for protein is 10-15% of your total daily calorie intake, and nowadays ppl eat way more than they need. Of course every human has different needs, it depends on our lifestyles, diseases etc. But more protein =/= better results, I personally got into a trap of that thinking and it didn't do good
          Buying frozen veggies is a good option, ain't that expensive and you take exactly how much you need and you don't have to worry that the rest will go bad soon. And frozen veg is as good as fresh one, nutrition-wise. I've been vegetarian for 3-4 years and never been bothered about my protein intake. Every time I would track my calories everything was gooood, maybe too much fat considering the amount of cheese I'm eating sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Gina View Post
            Take it easy. As I said you don't plan on going fully vegan so I don't think you have to worry about that. The norm for protein is 10-15% of your total daily calorie intake, and nowadays ppl eat way more than they need. Of course every human has different needs, it depends on our lifestyles, diseases etc. But more protein =/= better results, I personally got into a trap of that thinking and it didn't do good
            Buying frozen veggies is a good option, ain't that expensive and you take exactly how much you need and you don't have to worry that the rest will go bad soon. And frozen veg is as good as fresh one, nutrition-wise. I've been vegetarian for 3-4 years and never been bothered about my protein intake. Every time I would track my calories everything was gooood, maybe too much fat considering the amount of cheese I'm eating sometimes
            Cheeeeeze.

We currently buy frozen veg. It does have a longer shelf life which is good. But yeah, the veg garden is happening soon. Just because I want to connect to where my food comes from. And we can always give the extra to neighbours in exchange for a hen or something. Hehe

I'm not too bothered about the actual amount of protein either as much as I am about the actual nutrition (vitamins, minerals, aminos) in my food. But like you said, it seems I don't need to worry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaleo View Post
              I don‘t know how expensive seeds are where you live, but rocket grows really fast and is delicious for salads and on sandwiches.
              I'm not sure what we'd be able to plant over there... its by the atlantic sea. And there isn't actual soil, but sand. So I don't know what would grow. But if rocket is an option in the future I'd give it a go, even if I have to buy soil.

Comment

Working...
              X