Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoga as Fitness

I have what might be a controversial opinion here: I think yoga can fit within one's workout routine as a good method for isometric bodyweight strength training. Am I mad or is this worth considering?

I agree with you. I also think that weight lifting complements a rigorous yoga practice.

Comment

Plus I think flexibility is an important component of fitness that is often underrated. It's only when I really focused on increasing my flexibility, especially in my legs, that I started getting effective relief for my lower back pain.

Comment

I'm with you - I guess yoga can be practiced in many different ways and many practitioners will tell you it's so much more than flexibility and isometric bodyweight strength training, but yes, all those reeeeeeeaaallly slow push-ups and holding squats for what seemed like forever in my pregnancy yoga classes. That's bodyweight strength training alright.

Comment

I practice the sun salutation before and after training, with different purposes, made faster are a good warm-up, done more slowly are a great stretching.
          Done very slowly the sun salutation is a respectable bodyweight workout

Comment

One style of Yoga I do is by Diamond Dallas the wrestler, DDPY it uses Dynamic Tension in the moves . . .

I do a lot of Yoga with several different teachers some are more Power Yoga. I do dumbbell workouts 4 day split plus use the Hoist V1-Select multi machine, my apartment building has a small Fitness Centre.

Comment

There is a whole thread on this forum for yoga lovers, so you will find enough echo here, I think, LOL! Yoga is a great too. Have fun!

Comment

Welcome back IrishRamsay , I don't see anything controversial about your opinion, yes yoga can be used for strength

Comment

The hardcore intellectual yogis would argue that if you practice “yoga as fitness” (and only that), the correct term would be “postural calisthenics”.

Comment

Yoga is not 'exercise'. It is not a way to build muscles.
                    Not to dis Yoga, it's quite useful. For stretching and flexibility.
                    Both of which are very important if you want to "stay young".
                    So ... yes. If stretching and flexibility are important to you, and they should be, Yoga is just the ticket for you.

Comment

Originally posted by DaithiMeyer View Post
                      Yoga is not 'exercise'. It is not a way to build muscles.
                      Not to dis Yoga, it's quite useful. For stretching and flexibility.
                      Both of which are very important if you want to "stay young".
                      So ... yes. If stretching and flexibility are important to you, and they should be, Yoga is just the ticket for you.
                      ​​​​​​
                      "Exercise" is not defined as only building muscle. There is more than that.

And... Yoga is strengthening , too. There are a lot of isometric exercises, which build muscle and strengthen the tendons, think about plank, squat hold, pushup hold used in yoga (or more demanding calisthenics exercises like front lever, back lever, ...)

Comment

Yoga has been a godsend for me with my back and hip issues! It DOES strengthen isometrically as well as improve flexibility and endurance! Now that I am medically retired, I wish I knew then (during my career as an Occupational Therapy practitioner) what I know now about the benefits of Yoga!

Comment

One of the Yoga studios I go to has whats called Fusion Fitness (Heated) This invigorating class mixes exercises from yoga, Pilates and Barre for a full-body, core-strengthening workout.

Comment

Working...
                          X