X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New here :) Let me hear your story

Hi everyone!

I'm Virginia. I came across this site a few weeks ago but just now decided to get to know you all. I'm 22 years old and I have a short history of going to a gym but I had to drop out due to personal reasons, therefore got pretty lazy. I've been trying to incorporate home workouts in my life but well... 🙄 I even bought treadmill so I hop on it from time to time but nothing extraordinary. I'd like to start working out CONSISTENTLY, get in shape and stay healthy.

But the main reason I'm writing this is to ask you to share something about yourself. Tell your journey, how much you've lost/gained weight, how you've changed psychically and/or mentally. Please, share anything you're comfortable with. I really want to hear your stories.

Let's talk

Hi Gina,

My name is Andy
    my journey Started when I was at work I work in a plumbers merchant so shifting rads, boilers, baths, shower screens etc

I struggled to lift up a 23kg rad and felt absolutely terrible so I had to find away too get stronger I found an app called Fizzup at one point I was thinking it was the best thing ever but then realised that it really didn’t help me all.

I continued to do Fizzup while I was looking for other ways to train it started with a place called Nerdfitness as a way too keep motivated I was just looking around the site and found a post about the old workouts they used too do and jumped in here see the thread I started called My Progress as that will show you how much I have changed

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Raven1s View Post
      Hi Gina,

My name is Andy
      my journey Started when I was at work I work in a plumbers merchant so shifting rads, boilers, baths, shower screens etc

I struggled to lift up a 23kg rad and felt absolutely terrible so I had to find away too get stronger I found an app called Fizzup at one point I was thinking it was the best thing ever but then realised that it really didn’t help me all.

I continued to do Fizzup while I was looking for other ways to train it started with a place called Nerdfitness as a way too keep motivated I was just looking around the site and found a post about the old workouts they used too do and jumped in here see the thread I started called My Progress as that will show you how much I have changed

Andy
      Hi Andy,

Thank you for sharing your story. I checked the thread and its so amazing. Comparing the first pic and the last one the changes in your body are rly visible. Keep it up!

Comment

Hey Gina!

I used to practice karate for a short time, but I had to stop when I started university. After that I had the usual sedentary lifestyle of a student while eating the usual unhealthy food of a student. Because of that I gained a bit of weight -- I don't think I was necessarily overweight, but I felt uncomfortable in my body. Then I spent a semester in Poland () with an Erasmus scholarship and somehow ended up losing weight without even noticing it. It must've been because of all the walking I did there, because I for sure didn't restrict my food intake (I was in Poland after all). I didn't want to gain that fat back, so I started exercising consistently with the help of this community and I started paying attention to what I eat as well (so no more eating a dozen pieces of ptasie mleczko in one sitting... ). I even overdid it a bit and now I'm instead trying to gain a tiny bit of weight -- but preferably in the form of muscles.

Comment

My interest in fitness started back in the mid 60's, but wasn't disciplined to train properly. I started Yoga in 1973 but it was a very casual practice, I went to a studio for about 6 weeks then over the years did a bit here and there. Feb 1979 I started Tai Chi Chuan and this gave me discipline because it had to be memorized and practiced daily, also Tai Chi Sword and Sabre forms. 1984 I got interested in weight training and bought a barbell/dumbbell set plus small bench. I've trained with various Tai Chi groups and styles then 2005 to 2009 did Yoshinkan Aikido and Kenjutsu. 2015 I got back to going to a Yoga studio very regular.

A couple of years back we sold our house to downsize now that our kids are grown and not living with us, then moved into a large 2 bedroom apartment. We're on the 15th floor, the building has a Fitness Room, I use the dumbbells and Hoist V1-Select multi machine 4 days a week, leg day, arm day, chest and back day, then shoulder day. The building also has a large indoor swimming pool. After over 40 years I still do my Tai Chi Chuan plus weapons, still do Yoga (use 2 different studios). I have gone to Gyms and worked with personal trainers.

I walk everywhere, only use the car for groceries and out of town trips. One of the Yoga studios is a 3mile/5k walk there and back along river bike path. After my workout downstairs in the Fitness Room I use the stairs back up to the 15th, every time.

I'll be 67 this November and fit, about 145 lbs 5' 8". I'm retired now since turning 65 and worked for a builder as a general labourer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LWF_1555695684.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	608194

Comment

Originally posted by Mianevem View Post
            Hey Gina!

I used to practice karate for a short time, but I had to stop when I started university. After that I had the usual sedentary lifestyle of a student while eating the usual unhealthy food of a student. Because of that I gained a bit of weight -- I don't think I was necessarily overweight, but I felt uncomfortable in my body. Then I spent a semester in Poland () with an Erasmus scholarship and somehow ended up losing weight without even noticing it. It must've been because of all the walking I did there, because I for sure didn't restrict my food intake (I was in Poland after all). I didn't want to gain that fat back, so I started exercising consistently with the help of this community and I started paying attention to what I eat as well (so no more eating a dozen pieces of ptasie mleczko in one sitting... ). I even overdid it a bit and now I'm instead trying to gain a tiny bit of weight -- but preferably in the form of muscles.
            Hi Mianevem,

Thanks for sharing! I totally understand the part about "uni life", it was similar to mine. The stress, binge-eating, the food itself - the easiest, the cheapest, the fastest, not rly the healthiest food. I wouldn't say I'm overweight but I'm definitely not comfortable in my body right now. That's why I wanna get back on the right track.

That's so cool you've been in Poland I hope you enjoyed your time here.
            And good luck in gaining those muscles

Comment

Originally posted by thinman View Post
              My interest in fitness started back in the mid 60's, but wasn't disciplined to train properly. I started Yoga in 1973 but it was a very casual practice, I went to a studio for about 6 weeks then over the years did a bit here and there. Feb 1979 I started Tai Chi Chuan and this gave me discipline because it had to be memorized and practiced daily, also Tai Chi Sword and Sabre forms. 1984 I got interested in weight training and bought a barbell/dumbbell set plus small bench. I've trained with various Tai Chi groups and styles then 2005 to 2009 did Yoshinkan Aikido and Kenjutsu. 2015 I got back to going to a Yoga studio very regular.

A couple of years back we sold our house to downsize now that our kids are grown and not living with us, then moved into a large 2 bedroom apartment. We're on the 15th floor, the building has a Fitness Room, I use the dumbbells and Hoist V1-Select multi machine 4 days a week, leg day, arm day, chest and back day, then shoulder day. The building also has a large indoor swimming pool. After over 40 years I still do my Tai Chi Chuan plus weapons, still do Yoga (use 2 different studios). I have gone to Gyms and worked with personal trainers.

I walk everywhere, only use the car for groceries and out of town trips. One of the Yoga studios is a 3mile/5k walk there and back along river bike path. After my workout downstairs in the Fitness Room I use the stairs back up to the 15th, every time.

I'll be 67 this November and fit, about 145 lbs 5' 8". I'm retired now since turning 65 and worked for a builder as a general labourer.

Click image for larger version Name:	LWF_1555695684.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.8 KB ID:	608194
              Hi Thinman,

That's so amazing! I'm really impressed especially these days when climbing the stairs to reach 3rd floor is sometimes too much for young people(I have friends like these...). I totally look up to you

Comment

Hello Virginia,

I'm David if you need a name to the handle. The story behind my chosen handle is best not shared here; it's complicated.

My Darebee journey has been a long time in the making. It started with having to say goodbye to my days as a runner, which left me crestfallen for months as I had nobody to blame but myself, really. It had been my go-to for dealing with the horrors of life (that's what I call them), and losing that was...bad for how I felt about myself as a person. It led almost immediately to me developing an eating disorder which has been the bane of my existence for now close to four years. Multiple attempts to recover had come up very, very short.

The process wasn't happening without workouts because I live with people who habits are...not best (again, that's complicated) but other sites had left me more than a little frustrated for multiple reasons, among them discovering that claims that they had certified trainers in their videos weren't true (Daily Burn, I'm looking at you). I needed a place where I could sidestep the issues by eliminating them, and that's where Darebee came into the picture.

My struggle still continues as of the time I am typing this; I lost 30+ pounds to the ED and need to gain about 25 of them back to be back at a healthy weight, which is scary as (cuckoo) to me. But some bees have been willing to listen, and just maybe I can beat it back this time.

This place has proven to be safer than the other sites I have tried, which is a VERY useful bonus. You'll like it here.

Comment

Originally posted by Scaredandscarred View Post
                  Hello Virginia,

I'm David if you need a name to the handle. The story behind my chosen handle is best not shared here; it's complicated.

My Darebee journey has been a long time in the making. It started with having to say goodbye to my days as a runner, which left me crestfallen for months as I had nobody to blame but myself, really. It had been my go-to for dealing with the horrors of life (that's what I call them), and losing that was...bad for how I felt about myself as a person. It led almost immediately to me developing an eating disorder which has been the bane of my existence for now close to four years. Multiple attempts to recover had come up very, very short.

The process wasn't happening without workouts because I live with people who habits are...not best (again, that's complicated) but other sites had left me more than a little frustrated for multiple reasons, among them discovering that claims that they had certified trainers in their videos weren't true (Daily Burn, I'm looking at you). I needed a place where I could sidestep the issues by eliminating them, and that's where Darebee came into the picture.

My struggle still continues as of the time I am typing this; I lost 30+ pounds to the ED and need to gain about 25 of them back to be back at a healthy weight, which is scary as (cuckoo) to me. But some bees have been willing to listen, and just maybe I can beat it back this time.

This place has proven to be safer than the other sites I have tried, which is a VERY useful bonus. You'll like it here.
                  Hi David,

Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so glad you found some good humans here and I'm happy you haven't given up on yourself. I believe in you

Comment

Hey, Gina!

My story is kind of long. I'm born asthmatic, so I used to be sick a lot back when I was a kid. I don't really know much about then, but I know that I used to practice swimming since I was 6 months old, and I went to karate up until orange belt. I ended up dropping out of both for different reasons: on swimming, I don't know or can't remember, but on karate it was due to an injury I got during a drill. Since then, I've been quite inactive, living a very sedentary life without doing any activity whatsoever. I got asthma a lot, and the drugs I got for it had a secondary effect. I got overweight because of it.

When I got into middle school, I got bullied a lot due to my weight. I didn't like to sweat at all, and I hated physical education because I had to do movements and a set of movements that I wasn't capable of doing them (like 10 push-ups in one go when I could barely do one using my knees, or reaching my toes sitting down). I was forced a lot by my teachers, either by shouting or them physically forcing me to do them. Eventually, I got resilient to fitness, but I hated that I was fat. I went back to swimming, but I never got out of my weight. Tried everything, nothing seemed to work.

I dropped out of swimming again back in 2012. I was a freshman at university, so I didn't have any time to do it anymore. I went back to being sedentary for years again, and my weight shifted a lot, but I was still overweight. Then, in summer 2015, I realized I am transgender, and I hated my body even more than before. And after feeling sad for a while, I decided to start training.

I picked up running for a while, but I stopped because I saw someone getting mugged at gunpoint from the other side of the street, and I could have been dangerously confused by one of the muggers (they were dressed as joggers usually dress here). I also hated that everytime I went out for a run I felt like everyone was staring at me, even though I was dead wrong about it. I also didn't feel any progress at all. Then, months later, I picked up belly dancing and I combined it with some bodyweight and ab routines on Youtube. I felt progress, but it was painfully slow, and I hit a plateau instantly. Then, after brainstorming while playing Tomb Raider II, and a google search later, found Darebee and I saw that everything that I tried I did it the wrong way. Did the Croft workout, picked up the Fighter Training plan, adjusted my diet (that was before the crisis worsened to the point we are right now) and I finally got to a healthy weight, and then I switched to Knight. I've been working out non-stop ever since.

That was two years ago. I picked up some challenges and I'm going through programs. Found krav magá, fell in love with it. Picked up belly dancing again (I stopped because lack of time) and I recently used some Darebee routines for my piano classes, both to tell my students to do some physical activity to compliment the piano, to help them with coordination, warm-up the hands, relieve both neck, shoulders, back, wrists and hands from pain, and correct posture, with the help of some research and my mother, who's a massage therapist. I also got a neighbor into fitness and my girlfriend to work out again, which is cool.

In the end, this is a valuable resource. I only wish that all the things I learned here were things that I learned at school.

Comment

Fairly active most of my life with things like soccer, baseball, and so on.

Never any FOCUSED exercise until I turned 25, when I decided to stop just coasting through life and take control of it.

Weight was never a problem - actually drastically underweight most of my childhood/teenage years - but my diet was terrible. A lot of processed foods, soda, very few fruits/vegetables. So I completely changed my diet, joined a gym, and quickly gained about thirty pounds of healthy mass.

Ten years later, exercise and health are one of my favorite passions/hobbies. I exercise every day (and have for the past few years), I've reached my goal weight, and I'm still making adjustments to my diet to minimize the bad and maximize the good. I dropped the gym when I found Darebee, I've done multiple obstacle course races, and in general feel better than I ever have.

Life is great!

Comment

Hello! ^^

Since I started walking I was underweight, but health. In high school I only exercised in PE and when I started uni (2016) I stopped exercising at all, I stabilized in a good weight and even if I was eating healthy (thanks for cooking healthy mom) I wasn't.I had some problems because of lacking muscle, pain on my knees, on my back, problems with my posture and I started dancing again with friends and I thought that was the opportunity to change.I started doing some exercises but it wasn't a lot, I knew about darebee but I didn't use it so I decided to give it a chance and it's working, at least I feel better ( and I just got started).

Comment

Hi Gina

I'm Scohui, and I was pretty depressed before starting my journey. Among another things that felt out my control and were crumbling, I didn't like the way I looked and how weak I felt. So one day I said screw it all and started working out with Darebee to guide me.

Since then my muscles have become more defined, I have become stronger and my appearance has become something that doesn't plague my mind as much. I've also become less afraid to workout in public as I don't feel like I'm putting on a sad show anymore.

I hope you have a great journey yourself

Comment

Thank you Vicious'Saint Baston Kathyz Scohui for sharing your stories, I really appreciate this. I'm happy hearing that darebee affected your life in a really good way. I hope it will be the same in my case.

Comment

Hey Gina ,welcome to The Hive and Darebee.
                              I'll try to tell my story and make it as short as it can be.

So,I always had a problem with weight,I had a lot of belly fat and a a high body fat percentage,I tried working out multiple times but every time I would fail and quit it after 1-2 months.
                              I gave it one more chance to try and get fit,4-5 months back I started working out,I started when I was around 74kg,It was after winter holidays.
                              Keep in mind that I was very unhealthy for my whole lifetime(Currently 15 but don't mind that just think of me as a 30 year old don't think of me as as kid)
                              First and second month I did all I could to work out every day or as much as I could ,mostly at least 5 days in a week.
                              Every day I would spend some time watching videos and reading about Fitness,Weight Loss,Cutting,Bulking,Calorie deficit and a lot of other stuff.
                              For last 2-3 months I've been doing workout 6-7 times a week,sometimes I do cardio too,around 1-2 cardio sessions every week.
                              I learned every possible exercise I could do with my equipment which is just 7kg dumbbells and a Pull Up bar,first thing when I save up some money I'll buy barbell and weights for it and after that I'll keep expanding my equipment until I get myself some type of a home gym.
                              Back to the weight loss,currently I'm at 60.7kg ,I dropped around 14-15kg and a lot of fat,to see my transformation pictures(Im probably around 25 percent into my transformation right now),go to my Check In and check out one of my last posts, CLICK HERE .

Currently Im ending my Ironborn Program and then I'll cut some more to lose the last stubborn fat on my stomach,and then I'll see where to road takes me.
                              Leave me your opinion on my progress,If you need anything I could share some tips and how I lost fat ,If you need anything I could help you with,send me a Private Message or ask me here.

Comment

Working...
                              X