Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruminations on growing older

i have noted that most of the folks in the Hive are probably in their 20's and 30's, some teens and forty somethings and a very few old nanny and billy goats. Being one of the latter, in my 66th year, I thought I'd put down a few words of experience, note the lack of wisdom, for you young'uns. Take everything here with a block of salt as it comes from my experience and not from any guru on life.

First off, age is just a number. You know, kind of like a score in the game of life. You get a new number when you have a birthday, passing Go in Monopoly. Me, I've seen 65 birthdays and play golf with guys that have seen more than 80. I'm still ready to take on the world and so are the guys I play golf with. We're still "young". Yet I know others in the 40's that act and look like they are at deaths door, and other that have given up and are just waiting for death to take them. Don't be like that. Be like my friend fighting stage 4 lung cancer and a brain tumor, she has fought for a year and a half to go and do after she was told she had, maybe, six months. We met and had lunch with her and her husband last Friday just so she could get out of the house even though she knew it would take a stamina toll.

Dont let injuries stop you. I blew out both knees when I was 35, left knee, and 40, right knee. Though I had surgeries to repair the ACLs, I continued to play soccer, indoor and outdoor, until I was fifty. And could beat my athletic son in a 40 yard sprint until he was 16, I was 40. And still walk the golf course and do hiking. A little arthritis is setting in which makes running and jumping a bit painful. The left elbow is now giving me occasional fits.

Volunteer. Do something for someone that cannot repay you. And do it as often as you can.

Keep up with getting some kind of exercise. Believe it or not, walking is one of the best exercises you can do, and you can do it everyday! Walk at a pace where you can keep up a conversation or sing, but is still breaking a sweat. My pace is 4 1/2 to 5 mph and after 10 minutes I will develop a nice sheen. Doing some form of exercise keeps the BP, cholesterol and weight in check.

Find work you love and do it. Even if you start at starvation wages, you will prosper why you love what you do,

Last thing for this round, get outside. Take a hike. Walk the neighborhood. Visit a park. Just get out in the sunshine and fresh air.

Hope y'all have a blessed day.

Don't be afraid to fail. It really isn't failure, it's a learning of what you can't do yet or a successful discovery of a way that doesn't work. Thomas A. Edison found many, many ways that didn't work before he created the first successful electric lamp.

Comment

RockNTennessee I agree with a lot of your comments. I’m 64 years young & still having lots of fun. Exercising is helping stay young!

Comment

Originally posted by RockNTennessee View Post
        Take a hike. Walk the neighborhood. Visit a park. Just get out in the sunshine and fresh air.
        . . . and put the phone away.

Comment

Thanks for this post

Comment

Originally posted by oneironaut View Post
            Thanks for this post
            You're welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by thinman View Post

Yeah that!

Comment

Thanks guys

Comment

Thanks so much for this post. I'm currently battling with a developing hypochondria and every time I read something like this, from real people with real experience (not some fancy article in a lifestyle magazine) it helps me a lot. Thanks!

Btw, my father is already 70 and also fitter than many 30-somethings I know. He's also someone who doesn't give up and just does what he thinks is right.

Comment

Good advices, RockNTennessee. I hope younger people read you and have them in account.

By the way, being 52 years old, and after having some changes in life and work, and doing better the daily training (better structured and organised) I feel better than ten ago, even some more. Now I go jogging, jump, push, hang and knock and kick. Things that I hadn't done from ages with fear to harm myself. The spondylitis diagnosed in my twenty-some is still there, but it doesn't stop me.

Comment

When you do something, give it all you got. There may not be anyone else that notices, but YOU will know and get a good feeling from giving it all you have.

Here's an inspirational poem by John Greenleaf Whittier that I personally like:

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will, When the road you're trudging seems all uphill, When the funds are low and the debts are high, And you want to smile, but you have to sigh, When care is pressing you down a bit- Rest if you must, but don't you quit.

Life is queer with its twists and turns, As every one of us sometimes learns, And many a fellow turns about When he might have won had he stuck it out. Don't give up though the pace seems slow - You may succeed with another blow.

Often the goal is nearer than It seems to a faint and faltering man; Often the struggler has given up Whe he might have captured the victor's cup; And he learned too late when the night came down, How close he was to the golden crown.

Success is failure turned inside out - The silver tint in the clouds of doubt, And you never can tell how close you are, It might be near when it seems afar; So stick to the fight when you're hardest hit - It's when things seem worst that you must not quit.

Comment

Originally posted by thinman View Post

Man, I wish I could throw my kids' phones out the window sometimes....Right when you were writing that note on the 11th of July or so, my kids and my wife and I were on the west coast, going through mountains, something they'd never seen in person before....And there they were, eyes glued to the phone, texting some kid back home. Drove me crazy....

Comment

Learn something new. I'm 66 and took up the guitar 3 years ago and started learning woodworking. Am I good at them? Not especially, but it gives me satisfaction mastering some little thing, like a new song or recessing magnets for a box.

Comment

You will generally get what you set your mind on, whether it is failure, or success. Want to get fit?
                            Make up you mind to get fit! Want to lose weight? Make up your mind to lose the weight! Want fiscal health? Make up your mind to get fiscally healthy! It took me a lot of years of want and self destructive behavior to finally learn the simple truth, "you can have just about anything you set your mind too." Napoleons Hill put it this way, "What the mind of man can conceive, and believe, the mind of man can achieve."

Comment

It's recommended that aging adults play video games, was on a TV program on Neuroplasticity.

Comment

Working...
                              X