Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Esoteric/Specialized Skills

Everybody runs. Everybody squats. Everybody does pushups. These are fundamental movements, even emblematic - when most folks think "exercise" these are the stock images that pop up in the mind as representative of the concept. I wanna know about weird stuff.

I've always liked magic of all sorts. Escapology, mentalism, stage illusions, everything under that whole umbrella. This has led to a lot of tension/relxation exercises, breath work, flexibility, slight of hand/general dexterity, timing/reaction speed drills, etc. Not exactly magic, but juggling is great for hand-eye coordination.

I don't see many people specifically train their forearms or grip but I'm working my way toward Captains of Crush lv. 2. I don't have the longest reach so I figure grappling is the way to go. If I've gotta enter an opponent's range to latch on, my thinking is that once I snare a limb it shouldn't be able to slip away.

My childhood fixation was kung fu flicks. A lot of emulating those was just flailing my arms about and grunting - but there was also a lot of good breath work, balance, and I could jump preeeetty high. Later on that fixation spread to ninja also. Got obsessed with cryptography and used to frighten my parents walking quietly around the house on my toes/outsides of my feet.

My brother used to breakdance. I kinda osmotically picked up some skills just keeping up with him. Lots of dynamic shifting/eccentric loads and fluidity is paramount.

If it were socially acceptable, I'd skip about the neighborhood. Great cardio, explosive movement, builds killer calves - can I trademark powerskipping and market it as the new hot fitness trend?

What niche skills do you guys have? What sort of specialized training methods have you picked up?

Bem, você parece interessado realmente em controlar seu próprio corpo para um desempenho extraordinário.
    Entendo o que isso possa ter a ver com magia. Mas penso comigo se você tem meditado e tentado coisas além...?

Comment

Originally posted by sonifera_last View Post
      Bem, você parece interessado realmente em controlar seu próprio corpo para um desempenho extraordinário.
      Entendo o que isso possa ter a ver com magia. Mas penso comigo se você tem meditado e tentado coisas além...?
      Uhm, I guess many people here don't speak Portuguese, so here's a (hopefully correct) translation:

Well, you seem really interested in controlling your own body for extraordinary performance.
      I understand what that might have to do with magic. But I wonder if you've been meditating and trying things over there...?

Comment

Freestyle footbagging (next level hacky sack) can be pretty awesome. Used to have special shoes for it and got some fun moves down. Feel like it's really good for aerobics, speed, and coordination.

For grip stuff I use a prohands grip master pro (7 lbs per finger): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UMFT22/ and also a home made wrist roller with 5lbs on it.

Also are you a lucid dreamer? You can realize you're dreaming within a dream and take over like it's virtual reality with some daily practice (like reality checking). More on the meditation end of the spectrum but one of my lifelong interests.
        Attached Files

Comment

oneironaut YES, that's exactly the sort of stuff I made the topic for. I would never have thought of hacky sack/footbagging but now I'm thinking "hm, my footwork could use the polish."

Nihopaloa Thank you for the translation!

sonifera_last I dunno about extraordinary performance but I like being able to do things smoothly. Gracefully. Control is good. Harder than it sounds, tho. I've dabbled in meditation previously and there are definitely benefits, but I've kinda spun the principles to my own ends. I don't do frequent meditation practice as such anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BotDotCalm View Post
            oneironaut YES, that's exactly the sort of stuff I made the topic for. I would never have thought of hacky sack/footbagging but now I'm thinking "hm, my footwork could use the polish."
            I might break my footbags out tonight now lol. I recommend getting a higher quality bag filled with sand; skip the crocheted bags full of plastic beads (though they work if it's all you got). Good way to socialize with hippies in college too lol.

EDIT: YO I just did this for 40 minutes and it was fun as hell and put me in the sweat zone without aggravating my knee.

Worked on just the basics tonight (inside and outside mostly with a few toe kicks):

Comment

Skipping

As an aspiring wrestler and general martial arts practitioner, I want to get better at this because there's footwork, timing, balance, coordination, conditioning, mind-body connection, core control, weight distribution control, speed, agility and probably a lot more.

Comment

The idea of tendon strength is pretty new and unusual to me, thus the Power Up program.

I once did the Dynamic Dumbbell workout for a couple weeks to mainly target my forearms and its endurance. My wrists screamed during the workout. It's pretty different from the typical image of a guy bicep curling 20 kg at the gym, and really effective for what I want.

Ninja is a cool one to look at I agree. Sometimes I look up the Ninja challenge as a check list and there are a couple ones I am doing regularly or being pretty good at.

I am also working on balance and will start targeting flexibility in the future, and keep training abs and core as well. Depending on how you look at abs power and training, it can feel pretty eccentric too, like if you see it as the secret weapon instead of "crunching to get 6 packs." There is a reason why a strong core is considered to be a golden thing to have by many for ages.

Not sure if I answer your question or am I off topic? Just some personal experience here.

Comment

I can climb ropes and do obstacle courses. Most people don't do that regularly.

Comment

Thought of this today (healthy eyes = better sight = better response times):

Comment

Originally posted by oneironaut View Post
                      For grip stuff I use a prohands grip master pro (7 lbs per finger): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UMFT22/ and also a home made wrist roller with 5lbs on it.
                      I've got one of those too. Use it almost every day. I wish they made something with more resistance.

Lessee, my esoteric skills...

I juggle.Still stuck at 3 balls after more than 20 years at it. But I can juggle 2 lb balls for 10 minutes these days. Used to be able to do it for 20. Can still devil stuck decently.

I fence. All three weapons. Some sword work too.

I swing Indian clubs which isn't as rare as it once was.
                      ​​​​
                      BotDotCalm fluidity is something I had to learn. It's not easy for me, but it can be learned.

Comment

BravoLimaPoppa3

You've got good taste. That all sounds fun.

Never worked with devil sticks, but they're right in my wheelhouse of dexterity/balance skills and I imagine they're great for the forearms.

I've never been in a position to learn fencing of any stripe but I love the sport. Never even had a HEMA group nearby or studied a martial art that incorporated weapons so I am wildly jealous.

Closest thing to indian clubs I've tried is macebells. Not quite the same, but I really like leveraged weight. If I can get back into woodworking, making clubs has been on my list of projects.

Right now I'm working on basic pre-handstand skills that focus on strength/control but once I have those where I want them I'm likely shifting back to fluidity skills. Bellydancing seems like a blast. I'd LIKE to work up to something like roue cyr but under the best conditions that's at least next year - long term goals. I can learn and perfect handstands this year without equipment tho.

Comment

I did archery in college, and for some years after. Nothing gives you an appreciation for the difference between dead weight (like dumbbells) and live weight the way drawing a 35-lb. bow and holding it at full draw for several seconds, without wobbling or shaking, does.

The traditional/primitive/instinctive archery community relies almost exclusively on sighting down the length of the arrow and uses no weights or stabilizers on the bow itself. You have to train your muscles not to overreact to a constant, active resistance and not to overreact to letting go, either.

My teacher in college recommended bent-over or kneeling rows to work the shoulder muscles for archery; the shoulder is where the strength comes from for a good draw and hold. Gary Sentman, who held the world record for heaviest bow drawn, recommended triceps push-ups and serious use of resistance bands to give the same active resistance force as drawing and holding a bow.

Comment

Having studied Belly dancing for years, I can isolate individual parts of my body including different chunks of my back to stretch individual parts as needed. Oh yeah belly rolls and flutter. Although since I haven't been dancing for over 4 years I'm starting to lose those abilities.

Comment

Working...
                            X