X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weapon training program

Hey everyone!
    I was wondering: We have some martial arts (boxing mainly) programs, along with a lot of M.A. workouts. We also have some weapon-based workouts.. I think it would be cool and mostly necessary to make a program based on weapons (bo staff, bokken, escrima, etc.) which would incorporate strength training, weapons and martial arts moves for endurance and flow... I know I am asking for much, but, since boxing training is more or less covered not only here but in other sites as well, it would be a nice thing to step it up a notch.... I am aware of "Katana Week", but, I know you can evolve it (of course any help I could offer, I will, not from expertise but from self teaching, and self studying)

I would really love to see some escrima based training here in DAREBEE

Comment

il.malto Totally! That was my training weapon of choice for a long time, until I started practising the bo/jo-staff... Best of all IMHO

Comment

I'm curious as to what the objetive of is to weapons training? When you're just swinging around a stick ... does it really help? All martial arts and combat skills require feedback and people who know what they're watching. There's very little you can achieve watching a YoutTube video and mimicking the movements with the equipiment, for example.

What are the goals with combat training with weapons? I'm curious.

Comment

Warmaker Apart from the fact that it is a lot of fun ( and you can be your favourite TMNT...) weapon training promotes hand-eye coordination and allows for quicker and stronger moves...

Comment

Originally posted by Warmaker View Post
            I'm curious as to what the objetive of is to weapons training? When you're just swinging around a stick ... does it really help? All martial arts and combat skills require feedback and people who know what they're watching. There's very little you can achieve watching a YoutTube video and mimicking the movements with the equipiment, for example.

What are the goals with combat training with weapons? I'm curious.
            This is a great question! Thank you!

I mean, obviously I actively train in a weapons-oriented martial art already. I use the Darebee weapons workouts for some of my solo practice to build up muscle memory and strength for what I'm already doing. If I have to pick between what the workout says and how I think a weapon should be used based on training, I'm going to pick using the weapon better over doing the better workout.

That said, the other real reason is because it's more fun. I certainly hope I never have to fight anyone with a sword, but going to the dojo three times a week is way more fun than going to the gym and therefore more likely to actually happen. (For me.)

Comment

Warmaker ... there are multiple types of exercises, here, Most are "bodyweight", then there are "body building" (I'm doing IRONBORN again), and Yoga. And then there are the "weapons" workouts.
              The "body building" workouts focus on moving weight, generally 'slowly', around against gravity.
              The "combat" workouts are "bodyweight" workouts that insist on more speed and accuracy.
              The "weapons" workouts focus on moving light weights with speed and precision. They require added gear and extra head-room, not much else.
              None of the exercises I've seen have been intent on 'teaching' a martial art. As you noted, combat skills pretty much require 'feedback'.
              But you are not just waving a stick around when you are doing the Katana Warmup. Katana Infinity, for example, requires flexibility, strength, and precision. Form is ALL!

Comment

Working...
              X