Holiday to Ireland in September: any tips?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holiday to Ireland in September: any tips?

My parents have asked us to go with them on a trip up the West coast of Ireland in early September. Nothing is set in stone (or even booked) at this point.

The basic plan is to fly into Cork and hire a car for about a week, driving more or less up the coast, and then drive pretty much straight back to Cork on the day before our flight back and stay overnight in Cork.

I want to go round the south west coast, including the Ring of Kerry, and my father wants to go to the Limerick area because the company he used to work for had a site in Shannon and they had some really fun times on a compliance audit visit in a bar in Bunratty (they actually ended up closing the place down, it was that lax!).

I'm guessing I'll be doing most of the driving so we'll probably do the Ring of Kerry as a bus tour

So naturally I have some questions.

- How long should we allow to drive up the coast? (both in terms of how many days it would take and what would be a realistic mileage each day given that it's a pretty rugged coastline)
    - Where are the best places to stop and look round (and the flip side: where is best avoided/just a tourist trap)?
    ---> Follow-up question: what are the real hidden gems?
    - Any suggestions for food/drink (skip past Guinness, I like it but it's ubiquitous)?
    - Anything else you can think of...

I know, it's long and it's late, so thank you all for your patience...

Hey Martyn,

When i was in vacation with my parents we kikes though some places on the Ring of Kerry.

A very nice is to walk is the Gap of Dunloe. But I don't know how much you want to walk.

Our way went from Killarny. A very nice National park
    To Sneem with a modern hotel. Nothing when you searching for a rustic place to stay. But with a great view and good beer.
    We visited Dingle and Waterville (Where Charlie Chaplin once lived and the Start Wars Crew from the newest trilogy stayed during their work).

And many other nice places I can not named or will find again.

We travelled 7 days with hiking and driving thought the west.

There are a lot of pups with gread food and beer and the most important far way been a tourist trap.

You should prepare for long rain days in September.

A short impression from Sneem:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sneem_small.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	577566

Comment

Martyn ... My (grown) kids and I spent nearly a week in the Galway area. Landed in Shannon, rented a car there, drove north, stopping at the Cliffs of Moher for a frightening (I'm afraid of heights) stop, then on to Galway.
      Went to Clifden one day and sought out an ancient Stone on the way back. Not even a sign to note the spot!
      Erik bought some fabric from a woman who was impressed with his old-fashioned arm-length measuring.
      This was a decade(?) back.

Comment

Working...
      X