Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muscle strength

I would like recommendations for increasing my max weight strength with little to no weights, any ideas?

Wait, just so I understand you correctly: you want to be able to lift more weights, without lifting weights?

I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time here.
    Yes, you can definitely get stronger with body weight exercises. Fighters and gymnasts are perfect examples for extremely strong athletes that work primarily with their own bodyweight. There are awesome ways to increase the difficulty and intensity of "regular" body weight exercises to help you get stronger (high volume, advanced exercises, super slow training, explosive training, HIIT, no rest,... I won't go into detail on those. If you have questions just let me know), but all of these have a limit as you will always work with just your own body weight. In order to make your muscles even stronger beyond that you need to hyperload them with even more - and the best (or maybe even only) way to do so is working with heavy weights.

Can you get stronger and lift heavier by doing just body weight exercises? Yes, to a certain degree. All our workouts in the database under the "strength" category will help you with that. But if you want to be able to lift very heavy weights you need to train with heavy weights eventually.

Comment

TheRaven is right, "brute strength" will only come from lifting weights. If you want to look jacked and be able to move your body well, I'd recommend weighted calisthenics but you need to be proficient at bodyweight first. So work on the basics, pike push-ups, push-ups, pull-ups, squats, dips, chin-ups and aim to get at least 10 - 15 reps in each then you should consider adding weight, slowly. Weighted calisthenics is much like body building or powerlifting in that you want progressive overload to build the muscle and develop strength.

This won't increase your bench or anything but if you ever need to use your functional strength, this will do wonders for that. Just don't neglect muscular endurance.

I'd say, test your muscular endurance and if you can hit 10 reps for each exercise listed above, add a bit of weight and do 5x5, 3x12 or 1RM.

Good luck

Comment

ok, I can do that, I have found something on here that will help me do a one handed push up, which I think will work well, i do have textbooks, a backpack, 2 8 pound dumbells, and a 10 pound weight, if I get creative, I think I can do well once I reach a certain degree with body weight exercises, i think I'll be ready once I finish up my main workouts

Comment

Originally posted by TheRaven View Post
          Wait, just so I understand you correctly: you want to be able to lift more weights, without lifting weights?

I'm afraid you're going to have a hard time here.
          Yes, you can definitely get stronger with body weight exercises. Fighters and gymnasts are perfect examples for extremely strong athletes that work primarily with their own bodyweight. There are awesome ways to increase the difficulty and intensity of "regular" body weight exercises to help you get stronger (high volume, advanced exercises, super slow training, explosive training, HIIT, no rest,... I won't go into detail on those. If you have questions just let me know), but all of these have a limit as you will always work with just your own body weight. In order to make your muscles even stronger beyond that you need to hyperload them with even more - and the best (or maybe even only) way to do so is working with heavy weights.

Can you get stronger and lift heavier by doing just body weight exercises? Yes, to a certain degree. All our workouts in the database under the "strength" category will help you with that. But if you want to be able to lift very heavy weights you need to train with heavy weights eventually.
          I'd argue pull-ups are body-weight exercise that will get someone stronger and lift heavier. Sames goes for handstand push-ups. But outside of that, you are 100% correct.

Comment

ah, ok, well, I will do my best, thanks for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by Warmaker View Post

I'd argue pull-ups are body-weight exercise that will get someone stronger and lift heavier. Sames goes for handstand push-ups. But outside of that, you are 100% correct.
              I need more explanation here, why you think like that... are you saying that doing a one arm pull up (as the hardest progression for example) is exercise for weaklings? If it is so, why is the pull-up the one exercise that most of the people struggle with?

Or are you just talking about deadlifts and their corrallation to pullups/handstand pushups?

Comment

I am just talking about increasing my max weight strength, not whether a weak person can or not.

Comment

Originally posted by IWillGoSuperSaiyan View Post
                  I am just talking about increasing my max weight strength, not whether a weak person can or not.
                  But what is your definition of max weight strength, what do you wanna do with the weights?

Comment

I would like recommendations for increasing my max weight strength with little to no weights, any ideas?
                    Some use isometric exercise for strength, like using a strap . . .

Click image for larger version  Name:	tsc-belt-squat.jpg Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	575919

There's also equipment like the Bullworker and chest expanders http://www.sierraexercise.com/ . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	expandtopcrop.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	575920

Comment

I actually have something like that thinman, for the second picture, and HellYeah , I just mean increasing how much I can bench, squat, or deadlift, my max bench is 160, I would like to try to get it to 200 in the next 3-4 months, if possible.

Comment

I actually have something like that thinman, for the second picture, and HellYeah , I just mean increasing how much I can bench, squat, or deadlift, my max bench is 160, I would like to try to get it to 200 in the next 3-4 months, if possible.
                        There's a program called Stronglifts 5X5 you increase your lifts by 5lb each workout training 3 days a week. If you keep increasing your lifts by 5lb you get a 5% strength increase each week (to a point, not infinity).

I did a program called Truly Huge, It was a full body workout of 9 compound lifts, I increase my lifts by 5lb each workout and drank 5 cups of 3.25% milk everyday (with meals and between). I could only do the workout 3 times in a 2 week period, it gets really tuff but my strength really increased and put on 24lbs bodyweight in 4 months.

Comment

Ok, then I am out (of knowledge).
                          ​​​​​​Working towards a one arm pushup and a one leg squat seem to be my only ideas... Good Luck

Comment

HellYeah I can do a one leg squat, but I cannot do a one armed pushups, but luckily their is a workout for that on DareBee, thinman so how much weight do you initially start with?

Comment

IWillGoSuperSaiyan these might come in useful https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Resistanc...ImDbxp6AaZfpTA. I am going to try and get them for my birthday and use them in my workout to try and get Thor's physique. Here are some handles also https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metal-Han...3137114234a596

Comment

Working...
                              X