Which is more effective doing HIIT or 10k steps a day?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing, you probably know: The body takes the fat where he wants to, not where you train, so to lose fat at your arms you do not need to work your arms. It helps, cause they have more muscles once the fat is gone, what looks better, most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar View Post

To lose weight the true is that you need a calories deficit,so try to burn more than you eat.
      Also you can do HIIT with weights,you can try this tabata workout for example with your dumbbell if you have the stamina
      Click image for larger versionName:	aa7080b9b29e786b0e9b930dce87ffd4.jpgViews:	0Size:	257.1 KBID:	574913
      Avatar This is noted. Burn more, eat less.

Im doing tabata but without weights. If I do this... this means I can skip doing arm workouts? Because if I do this 3 x a week then arm workout in between HIIT days my arms will not have a good rest.

Comment

Originally posted by HellYeah View Post

Hello alesca
        ​​​​​​let me add my point of view on this topic:
        I lost 5kg since 17th of january.
        Did I do cardio? No.
        Did I do HIIT? No.
        Did I use my dumbbells? No. (I used kettlebells once ore twice)
        ​​​
        Did I lower my kcal intake? Yes!
        How much? About 3500 kcal in a week ~1lbs/0.5kg,
        what is a reduction of 500 kcal a day, incl. training
        Did I do resistance training! Yes!
        What? Bouldering and Calisthenics (Strength)
        How often? 3-4times a week, the othet days were yoga and flexibility work.

How did I calculate all of this? Trial and error, and a little bit of experience in counting calories...
        I hop onto the scale every saturday morning. That is the steadiest time, cause I have 5 days of eating less behind me but 2 of comfort food before me.

I try to eat less between mon and fri, and give myself some slack during the weekends. That was enough, but it was steady work. And it was/is in no way easy...

If you eat the same kcal as your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and do cardio for 500kcal every day, you will lose fat. About 1lbs a week. No need to starve. But that means 1h of fitness, 30min running, 1h cycling, 1h swimming or 2h of walking every day. That is a ton of time.
        HellYeah

When you say resistance training you mean, training using resistance band? Sorry, newbie here. 😅
        When I searched for some resistance training exercises it shows different exercises using resistance band other exercises without a band was just like in HIIT. I'm confuuused!

Comment

Im also confused. Some people say I do not have to workout my arms. Some people say I needed to and If I need to workout my arms I need to rest it for at least 24 to 48 hours. But I usually see programs or exercises with daily arm workout.

Here in Darebee they have 30 days strength training program but without weights.

Comment

My goal actually is to be fit again. Thats why Im asking which is more effective, 10k steps or HIIT. Because some says I must do HIIT some people says I must do both. Aside from that I must do strength training using dumbells because what I really want to see results in my arms. Since I cant wear sleeveless its my dream to have a toned arms. In my current program which I just made it out of my researches: HIIT + Walking (MWF)| Upperbody and Lowerbody (TTH) | Rest (SS) I found it very tiring and with a very small effect or maybe because Im doing it for 2 months 😅 I want to know if Im on a right track.

I have searched that Im on my normal BMI (24.1) but the ideal weight for my height (5 feet) is from 90lbs to 110lbs only. Im currently 123.2lbs I want to go back there. Is it still possible for a 37 year old woman like me? Im single. No baby yet.
            But honestly Ive learned a lot in this thread. Thank you for all the helpful tips and advises. Im planning to change my program based on what youve said.

Comment

The best way to decide is by going with what you enjoy more. Do you like HIIT? Do that. Do you prefer walking 10k steps? Do that instead. What you enjoy is always the best exercise and it leads to the most consistant results.

Comment

that is true, making progress is just as much the physical as the mental, if your mentality is weak, then most likely, you won't keep up, and vice versa, start small, but your doing well, you'll see results

Comment

Originally posted by Warmaker View Post
                  The best way to decide is by going with what you enjoy more. Do you like HIIT? Do that. Do you prefer walking 10k steps? Do that instead. What you enjoy is always the best exercise and it leads to the most consistant results.
                  Warmaker IWillGoSuperSaiyan I like HIIT more because I can see Im sweating a lot AND I can do it before going to work. I feel energized after. But sometimes I cannot skip walking since Im walking only from office to home about 40mins especially if it is traffic. Traffic in the Philippines takes 1 to 2 hrs before I reached my home hence Id rather chose walking. But sometimes Im having a knee pain or pain in the ankle but its tolerable and its gone after an hour or two.

Thats my worries If Im exercising too much because of the knee or ankle pains due to walking everyday and then Im doing HIIT 3x a week every other day. Bases on this thread, Ive learned to listen to my body and Im not over exerting myself. So... Im on a right track! Yey, thank you!

Comment

If Im using 5lbs dumbbells and can see just a very very minor effect on my arms... what weight would you recommend? One of the users here said 11 pounds?! Thats too heavy! Any other suggestion? 😅

BUT if it will make some magic to my arms, I think I can do it. 11 pounds?? Hmmm... Im motivated and determined. I can do this!

Comment

well, it depends, I have been working out for 3 years, and please please please don't take this as sexist, but I am a guy, and because of testosterone, guys commonly get stronger than girls faster, and theirs very limits are higher, and I'm just now seeing some definition, now albeit I stopped working out for roughly half a year during those 3 years, it'll take a while, what can help if you happen to have any excess fat, assuming your around 18-30, try not not eat 4 hours before bed, that can lose some weight, cardio, especially jump roping, helps a lot, make sure you eat healthy to, that's the most important thing, and make sure your working out your body evenly, my left arm is weaker than my right because of this, so try your best to keep your body even, but you can do this, as long as if you keep working hard, I know you can do it

Comment

Guys I think I get it now why I cant see a big changes in my body after 2 months of workout. When I reviewed my Google Fit app, I never reached the 500 burned calories in a day! Even if I walk 40 mins then with HIIT in the morning. Maybe because my walk wasnt that fast. The total was only around 400 but never reached the 500 cal. This means I need to burn more. I was only focusing in my arms.

Comment

Originally posted by alesca View Post

Avatar This is noted. Burn more, eat less.

Im doing tabata but without weights. If I do this... this means I can skip doing arm workouts? Because if I do this 3 x a week then arm workout in between HIIT days my arms will not have a good rest.
                          You have 2 choices,you will do 3 days all body weight lifting workouts per week or you will do the split workouts.
                          The tabata workout I notice is a all body workout

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar View Post

You have 2 choices,you will do 3 days all body weight lifting workouts per week or you will do the split workouts.
                            The tabata workout I notice is a all body workout
                            Alright! I fully understand now. Avatar

Comment

Originally posted by alesca View Post

HellYeah

When you say resistance training you mean, training using resistance band? Sorry, newbie here. 😅
                              When I searched for some resistance training exercises it shows different exercises using resistance band other exercises without a band was just like in HIIT. I'm confuuused!

Im also confused. Some people say I do not have to workout my arms. Some people say I needed to and If I need to workout my arms I need to rest it for at least 24 to 48 hours. But I usually see programs or exercises with daily arm workout.

Here in Darebee they have 30 days strength training program but without weights.

It is indeed concusing in the beginning. And there is a lot of bro-science going around.

I'll try to break it down, a little bit...

Resistance/strength : every exercise that gives your muscles a hard time
                              That could be weights, machines, bands or strength exercises with bodyweight (pullup, pushup, squats...)
                              To gain strength and muscles you have to use progressive overload, what means, when your body adapted to the current load you have to use more weight or a harder bodyweight exercise.

HIIT uses resistance exercises over a short time with rest in between to produce an additional cardio effect.
                              Classic cardio uses very easy exercises over a long time.

All exercises keep you healthy, and you get what you train strength, endurance....

If you do intense strength training/HIIT you should rest that part you trained for 48h-72h (depends on your recovery). Cause with strength you produce micro damages in your muscles, and they need time to get repaired. To be prepared for the next impact the body decides to build additional muscles, too.

What leads to the suggested 3 times full body training per week or a split...

If you want strong arms and more muscles, you have to train them with a form of resistance...

If you wanna see those muscles you build...you have to get rid of body fat!

There are many ways to do that, but all of them have the same principle!

Your kcal intake has to be under your use of kcal - you are in a kcal defict...

The two ens of the spectrum are:

- No exercises --> eat less than your TDEE

- Not eat les --> do more exercises

Feel free to ask, if you need further infos, and I hope it helps to "disconfuse" you...

Comment

Originally posted by HellYeah View Post

It is indeed concusing in the beginning. And there is a lot of bro-science going around.

I'll try to break it down, a little bit...

Resistance/strength : every exercise that gives your muscles a hard time
                                That could be weights, machines, bands or strength exercises with bodyweight (pullup, pushup, squats...)
                                To gain strength and muscles you have to use progressive overload, what means, when your body adapted to the current load you have to use more weight or a harder bodyweight exercise.

HIIT uses resistance exercises over a short time with rest in between to produce an additional cardio effect.
                                Classic cardio uses very easy exercises over a long time.

All exercises keep you healthy, and you get what you train strength, endurance....

If you do intense strength training/HIIT you should rest that part you trained for 48h-72h (depends on your recovery). Cause with strength you produce micro damages in your muscles, and they need time to get repaired. To be prepared for the next impact the body decides to build additional muscles, too.

What leads to the suggested 3 times full body training per week or a split...

If you want strong arms and more muscles, you have to train them with a form of resistance...

If you wanna see those muscles you build...you have to get rid of body fat!

There are many ways to do that, but all of them have the same principle!

Your kcal intake has to be under your use of kcal - you are in a kcal defict...

The two ens of the spectrum are:

- No exercises --> eat less than your TDEE

- Not eat les --> do more exercises

Feel free to ask, if you need further infos, and I hope it helps to "disconfuse" you...

HellYeah If you said I want to build muscles that means strength training convert the fats of my body to a muscle?? Newbie sorry. 😅 And to convert to muscle, I need to follow the '2 ens'. And I need to achieve the 500 burn calories a day??

And HIIT, resistance training, cardio, 10k steps, aerobics etc.. these are all varieties of exercises that I can do together with the strength training??

Comment

Working...
                                X