Which is more effective doing HIIT or 10k steps a day?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Avatar View Post

    5 kgs is about 11 pounds.
    The weight is depending the exercise,you use dumbbells onle for arm exercises?
    I do also some days HIIT from darebee and I thing it is ok to do 12-13' as they are intense.
    If you have level 2 or level 3 you may do 5 or 7 sets if you have the stamina
    Also as amateurs I thing it is ok to exercise for 10-20' per day,there is a program of darebee "epic five" with only 5' workouts
    Avatar 11 pounds?! thats so heavy! Using dumbells in HIIT is not a problem but Im worried my arms will not have a good rest if Im doing dumbells almost everyday. HIIT then next day upper body then HIIT again then Upper body and so on.

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by alesca View Post
      Low impact cardio such as walking. I think I get it now why Im still fat. The eating part is causing a problem.

      What is the recommended calories I must burn in a day to lose weight? It can be as higher as 700? What ive noticed the average calories that I can burn is around 400 to 500... if only 500 then I must eat less than 500 calories... I will starve myself to death...
      700 kcalories is about 7 miles of walking or running, so the faster the better because it takes less time for the same effort.

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by alesca View Post

        dynamomelano Thats the most difficult part, eating less But Im trying SO HARD.

        Ye, some articles saying HIIT + Low impact cardio such as walking. I think I get it now why Im still fat. The eating part is causing a problem.

        What is the recommended calories I must burn in a day to lose weight? It can be as higher as 700? What I've noticed the average calories that I can burn is around 400 to 500... if only 500 then I must eat less than 500 calories... I will starve myself to death...
        alesca ... don't bother "counting calories". That is likely inaccurate. Just reduce the amount of sugars and 'simple carbohydrates' you consume.
        It might also help for us to understand what you consider to be "fat". There are very thin people who think of themselves as "fat" and starve themselves to DEATH!
        120+ pounds - even for a short 5' - is not what I consider 'fat'. Maybe you are selling yourself short?

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by DaithiMeyer View Post

          alesca ... don't bother "counting calories". That is likely inaccurate. Just reduce the amount of sugars and 'simple carbohydrates' you consume.
          It might also help for us to understand what you consider to be "fat". There are very thin people who think of themselves as "fat" and starve themselves to DEATH!
          120+ pounds - even for a short 5' - is not what I consider 'fat'. Maybe you are selling yourself short?
          I have belly fats, flabby arms and chubby cheeks. Im usually weigha 45kgs and I gained to 58kgs in my 2 years of working from home at graveyard shift without any workout because Im usually sleeping in the morning. I can really say I gained a lot. Now I was diagnosed that I have pre-hypertension and since I do not want to take any meds, my doctor advised me to workout and get toned again.

          I have read many articles and it says to have a toned body I need to lift weights and do cardio. I did HIIT and started my new work in the nearby city and chose to walk from office to home (just 40 mins) due to traffic.

          But then I only see very small results from 58kgs to 56kgs in 6 weeks. Maybe youre right, what I am eating is the problem because many times I cant resist to eat flavorful foods.

          Comment


            #20
            Thank you so much dynamomelano Avatar DaithiMeyer

            for a very helpful insights. These are all duly noted. Thank you also for all the links. I will do my assignments. Burn more, eat less (useless calories). I can do this!

            Comment


              #21
              Ooooppsss I forgot!

              This is my arm that Im really bothered after almost 3 months of workout using 5lbs of dumbells. Tuesday (Biceps and Triceps) then Thursday (Chest, Shoulder and Back). Please see the gross pic. Im trying to resize it but it site doesnt follow.

              Can you see any difference? This is the part were I am so problematic. I know my face and tummy will vanish faster than my arms.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_075419.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	574757
              Click image for larger version

Name:	20190505_075353.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	574758
              Attached Files

              Comment


                #22
                alesca ... Feb 23 to April 29 is 9 weeks, far from "3 months".
                I see minor improvement in your arm in that time ... ok, very minor. It doesn't look like you are 'flexing' in the earlier picture - that could be what I'm seeing.
                You say it took you two years to gain the weight - and the fat (not the same things) that concern you. Should it not take at least half a year to recover?
                Working graveyard shift has penalties all it's own. Like a tendency towards high blood pressure and diabetes.
                There are Office Workouts you can use to fill breaks in your work schedule. These short efforts will reduce your appetite and improve your health.
                There are 100 of them in this pack. Many take less than 3 minutes to do, some take 1 minute, many others can be broken into smaller bits.
                I posted this in the Chat Room, it covers a similar topic.
                You are making progress, slowly. But some. Don't expect miracles, just regular, minor, improvement. It will come.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by DaithiMeyer View Post
                  alesca ... Feb 23 to April 29 is 9 weeks, far from "3 months".
                  I see minor improvement in your arm in that time ... ok, very minor. It doesn't look like you are 'flexing' in the earlier picture - that could be what I'm seeing.
                  You say it took you two years to gain the weight - and the fat (not the same things) that concern you. Should it not take at least half a year to recover?
                  Working graveyard shift has penalties all it's own. Like a tendency towards high blood pressure and diabetes.
                  There are Office Workouts you can use to fill breaks in your work schedule. These short efforts will reduce your appetite and improve your health.
                  There are 100 of them in this pack. Many take less than 3 minutes to do, some take 1 minute, many others can be broken into smaller bits.
                  I posted this in the Chat Room, it covers a similar topic.
                  You are making progress, slowly. But some. Don't expect miracles, just regular, minor, improvement. It will come.
                  DaithiMeyer yeeaah im not flexing it in the first pic. I forgot hahahaha.

                  Anyway, it doesnt matter if it took 3 or 6 months. I just want to know if Im on the right track. MANY articles, bloggers, youtubers says... they can actually see the results in just 1 month... Ive read many articles teaching the right ways of doing arm workout so I believe Im doing it right but cannot see the results yet as what the others saying. Hahaha.

                  Thank you for all the advises. I already have a new job with a regular working days and have a plenty of time to workout. I just need to check If I have a correct program for my body. I will do my assignments and will be patiently waiting to see a great results. Lets see after a few months. Again, thank yoooouu!!!

                  Comment


                    #24
                    So, you are not going to see a big change in body composition (less fat, more muscle) using just 5 pounds of weight for your resistance training. And, with resistance training, and any kind of training, what you are working are the muscles, not the fat. So, your fat will stay unless you are able to either eat fewer calories and/or spend more calories resulting in an energy (calorie) deficit. That's how you lose weight, especially fat weight.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      alesca ... it occurred to me, late last night, that I should have recommended another way of testing your changes.
                      Measure your 'problem areas' using a cloth 'tailor's tape'.
                      Your arms, tummy, thighs ... whatever you consider 'a problem'.
                      It is quite difficult to visually 'measure' change. And a scale is often no help at all, given that a cubic inch of muscle weighs so much more than a cubic inch of fat.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by dynamomelano View Post
                        So, you are not going to see a big change in body composition (less fat, more muscle) using just 5 pounds of weight for your resistance training. And, with resistance training, and any kind of training, what you are working are the muscles, not the fat. So, your fat will stay unless you are able to either eat fewer calories and/or spend more calories resulting in an energy (calorie) deficit. That's how you lose weight, especially fat weight.
                        dynamomelano

                        I get it. I need to control my diet and I really need to increase the weights. I can do that! Thank you.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by DaithiMeyer View Post
                          alesca ... it occurred to me, late last night, that I should have recommended another way of testing your changes.
                          Measure your 'problem areas' using a cloth 'tailor's tape'.
                          Your arms, tummy, thighs ... whatever you consider 'a problem'.
                          It is quite difficult to visually 'measure' change. And a scale is often no help at all, given that a cubic inch of muscle weighs so much more than a cubic inch of fat.
                          DaithiMeyer yes I did that! I did that because I cant see any changes in the pics that Ive uploaded. But I have no new results yet so I cant compare for now. I will check after a month.

                          I temporarily removed the scale in the picture because I got used to weigh after a meal most especially if it was heavy meal. Because I was conscious that my weigjt 56kgs will go back to 58kgs. Honestly, its depressing. It seems it forced me not to eat anymore thats why there are times that Im starving and craving. Here in the Philippines we used to eat white rice. So I missed eating rice. Hahahaha!

                          But since many of you saying eat less calories, I will do it. And I think I can do it. I have a timeline and only 4 months left before my bestfriend's wedding so I need to be more serious and more discipline. I can do this!

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by alesca View Post

                            dynamomelano Thats the most difficult part, eating less But Im trying SO HARD.

                            Ye, some articles saying HIIT + Low impact cardio such as walking. I think I get it now why Im still fat. The eating part is causing a problem.

                            What is the recommended calories I must burn in a day to lose weight? It can be as higher as 700? What ive noticed the average calories that I can burn is around 400 to 500... if only 500 then I must eat less than 500 calories... I will starve myself to death...
                            Hello alesca
                            ​​​​​​let me add my point of view on this topic:
                            I lost 5kg since 17th of january.
                            Did I do cardio? No.
                            Did I do HIIT? No.
                            Did I use my dumbbells? No. (I used kettlebells once ore twice)
                            ​​​
                            Did I lower my kcal intake? Yes!
                            How much? About 3500 kcal in a week ~1lbs/0.5kg,
                            what is a reduction of 500 kcal a day, incl. training
                            Did I do resistance training! Yes!
                            What? Bouldering and Calisthenics (Strength)
                            How often? 3-4times a week, the othet days were yoga and flexibility work.

                            How did I calculate all of this? Trial and error, and a little bit of experience in counting calories...
                            I hop onto the scale every saturday morning. That is the steadiest time, cause I have 5 days of eating less behind me but 2 of comfort food before me.

                            I try to eat less between mon and fri, and give myself some slack during the weekends. That was enough, but it was steady work. And it was/is in no way easy...

                            If you eat the same kcal as your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and do cardio for 500kcal every day, you will lose fat. About 1lbs a week. No need to starve. But that means 1h of fitness, 30min running, 1h cycling, 1h swimming or 2h of walking every day. That is a ton of time.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by HellYeah View Post

                              Hello alesca
                              ​​​​​​let me add my point of view on this topic:
                              I lost 5kg since 17th of january.
                              Did I do cardio? No.
                              Did I do HIIT? No.
                              Did I use my dumbbells? No. (I used kettlebells once ore twice)
                              ​​​
                              Did I lower my kcal intake? Yes!
                              How much? About 3500 kcal in a week ~1lbs/0.5kg,
                              what is a reduction of 500 kcal a day, incl. training
                              Did I do resistance training! Yes!
                              What? Bouldering and Calisthenics (Strength)
                              How often? 3-4times a week, the othet days were yoga and flexibility work.

                              How did I calculate all of this? Trial and error, and a little bit of experience in counting calories...
                              I hop onto the scale every saturday morning. That is the steadiest time, cause I have 5 days of eating less behind me but 2 of comfort food before me.

                              I try to eat less between mon and fri, and give myself some slack during the weekends. That was enough, but it was steady work. And it was/is in no way easy...

                              If you eat the same kcal as your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and do cardio for 500kcal every day, you will lose fat. About 1lbs a week. No need to starve. But that means 1h of fitness, 30min running, 1h cycling, 1h swimming or 2h of walking every day. That is a ton of time.
                              HellYeah

                              Thats my plan, to control my eating on Mon-Fri then cheat days on weekends.

                              Honestly there are days that I eat more than my TDEE but not often. And because Im taking this seriously, I'd rather control it and maybe that would resolve my fitness problem. Thank you and I'll take note of that!

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by alesca View Post

                                HellYeah

                                Thats my plan, to control my eating on Mon-Fri then cheat days on weekends.

                                Honestly there are days that I eat more than my TDEE but not often. And because Im taking this seriously, I'd rather control it and maybe that would resolve my fitness problem. Thank you and I'll take note of that!
                                To lose weight the true is that you need a calories deficit,so try to burn more than you eat.
                                Also you can do HIIT with weights,you can try this tabata workout for example with your dumbbell if you have the stamina
                                Click image for larger versionName:	aa7080b9b29e786b0e9b930dce87ffd4.jpgViews:	0Size:	257.1 KBID:	574913

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X