Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tabletop gamers here?

Mainly curious. I was a huge GURPS fan (playtester, huge amount of product (and it's where I got curious about Vikings)), but have moved over to Castle Falkenstein, Dungeon World, Legacy: Life Among The Ruins, FATE (various implementations) and other (relatively) light weight systems like RISUS.
    I also play a fair number of light weight board and card games and will always take an excuse to break out my Story Cubes to improvise with others.
    Anyone else out there share the hobby?

I started out with D&D, moved to AD&D, then switched to GURPS, after trying several others.
    As for the 'Veekeengs', yeah. Some of my ancestors were such (DNA tested out) but I prefer Drengr to Viking. The former means "Bad Ass" while the latter means something more akin to "Pirate". Not as honorable.
    My current character fights with a shield. Yeah, he also carries a sword, but the shield usually ends the 'discussion'.
    I'd invite you to sit in, but it's a long commute.

Comment

I started playing D&D before I started kindergarten. I've played a little of a lot of things, including a whole lot of World of Darkness in college.

I try not to be completely predictable, but the fates continue to align that I play a lot of Rangers. Whether or not I'm playing in a system that has official character classes or not, there's a good chance I'm playing a Ranger...

Tagging wjs for reasons.

Comment

Thank you for the tag, Kanary.

I, too, am a TT gamer. I officially started with GURPS, though prior to that I had some brushed with D&D/AD&D. I've played many, many systems since, including much World of Darkness. Most recently, though, I've been getting into Exalted 3rd Edition. I have yet to play a game, but it looked interesting enough that I jumped in on a Kickstarter last month for the next book in the line.

Comment

Since when is D&D tabletop? Always thought it was Pen&Paper... We´re talking about Dungeons and Dragons, right?

Played some Warhammer 40k way back, but when buying miniatures became too expensive I settled for the way cheaper pen&paper stuff. Played DnD and DSA (most successfull german pen&paper, if you´re not german, you probably never heard of it). Right now I´m playing some selfbuilt system our DM made out of the Guild Wars universe. It´s a bit weird and our DM is one cruel SOB. And he´s trying to force me to dualclass my bard into a mage which sucks since magic need LP to cast spells and since I´m not a tank (or combat oriented at all, I´m mostly the "social support" and moneymaker) I don´t really have much LP...

EDIT: aah, got my definitions mixed up a bit. For me tabletop is everything with elaborate miniatures, like 40k. Everything else is pen&paper.

Comment

Originally posted by Legolo View Post
            Since when is D&D tabletop? Always thought it was Pen&Paper... We´re talking about Dungeons and Dragons, right?
            TTRPG - Tabletop RPG. Same thing as Pen/Pencil&Paper, slightly different terminology. Although, to be fair, in this day and age, neither of those terms really fit 100%, with people playing online with Roll20 and Discord and players using laptops and tablets for character sheets

Comment

Originally posted by wjs View Post

TTRPG - Tabletop RPG. Same thing as Pen/Pencil&Paper, slightly different terminology. Although, to be fair, in this day and age, neither of those terms really fit 100%, with people playing online with Roll20 and Discord and players using laptops and tablets for character sheets
              Not us. We´ve got real dices and real character sheets on paper. DM is using paper maps and a paper notebook and stuff. The only technology we have is his stereo for some ambiente music to set the mood

Comment

Oh, trust me, I'd love to have an in-person game, but we live by what we can manage.

Comment

Legolo as far as I know, the difference between tabletop and pen and paper is much bigger and more emphasised in Germany than in other countries. For us, tabletop indeed is stuff like Mechwarrior, where you need a lot of space to play. Pen and paper is everything with, well, pen and paper.

For me, I've played for half my life, started with Shadowrun, moved to the Dark Eye (it seems to be a must in Germany), switched to DnD 3rd Edition after, then 3.5 (the best in my opinion), then Pathfinder where I stayed for a long time until Paizo became a horrible company. Played 13th Age for some time, then we kinda stopped. I last played last year, but I'm currently writing a campaign setting for Shadows of the Demon Lord, which I desperately want to try out. I also always wanted to try Anima, but I never managed to find a physical copy of the rulebook, so....

I had a group in school, we met for some months after we went to separate universities, but then it fell apart. After that, me and my husband played together, for some time every evening, some nights well into the next morning, it was awesome.

In DnD 3.5 we once even managed to play a campaign from level 1 to level 20, greatest achievement so far.

Comment

This is probably taking things on a tangent, but my tabletop experience is mostly with sports stats replay games. RPG angles, for whatever reason, don't seem to get much of a hold on me. Of course, sometimes my imagination gets overactive to the point of triggering myself (I have an anxiety disorder), so that could well be the reason and I just haven't wanted to admit it.

Comment

Ooh, I'm a great deal younger than some of you here, so I *only* started out with D&D 3E.

I've ran a D&D 4E club at middle school, ran an Ironclaw campaign with friends and friends of friends which was a ton of fun! Currently getting back into D&D with 5E, it's so much more like 3E and I love it (4E seemed very rigid, very computer-RPG like and guess what's the reason I moved to tabletop RPG's anyway?)

Currently I have the Shinobigami PDF printed out and one (ONLY ONE!) friend willing to play it. Darn, it seems like it could easily become my most favourite RPG in terms of both its freedom and story-centeredness as well as its excellent combat system! Oh well, time to find new friends I guess

Oh, trust me, I'd love to have an in-person game, but we live by what we can manage.
                      Oh cool, now try being deaf and wanting to run RPG sessions! (spoiler: I kind of need a face-to-face set up unless everyone buys €80+ headsets with good mics just for me )

Okaaaay, Fonzie!, calm down, that's enough passive aggression for one post

Also, I really *really* love throwing my 8 dice sets (out of which 6 overfly posh and fancy) around, drawing on a battle grid and using body language with some low-key acting to tell a story, so I don't think I even want people to get proper mic setups because then I wouldn't have an excuse anymore

Comment

To answer some points, made here.
                        We regularly have a player (or GM!) running via FaceTime or some-such. Not a great solution, better than missing the interaction.
                        A couple of our group members bring their entire libraries on their laptops or tablets.
                        One of our GMs is jonesing to start a campaign in The Fantasy Trip - Old School Role playing - a game resurrected from the 80s!
                        One of our players is really into the acting part - you hear a stutter or a verbal flourish and you know instantly it is 'in-game', not the player speaking.
                        GURPS uses none but D6s. I just got radical by buying Dual D6s - 12-sided dice with the numbers 1-6 entered twice. Talk about 'overly posh'!

I am not certain if the rule-set matters. I want to chance dying, social interaction, and flexibility.
                        Even 'heroes' are not all 'Warriors', 'Wizards', 'Bards', 'Thieves', or ???. And not all 'thieves' gain all skills at a set pace. A 'Scout' or 'Ranger' is not just a woodland Warrior/Rogue. A Swashbuckler is not a citified duelist who games into the early hours then waylays the big winner on his way home. My main PC is a 'copper', a sort of Warrior, and his brother is a Bard who specializes in wrestling! His sister is a Shaman - a Mage/Cleric in touch with the spirit world and herbs.
                        Options.

Comment

YES!!!! Boardgames, RPG's (both live and on Roll20)~ D&D5e and Fate are my big ones, also love Dungeon World and Scum and Villainy, but right now my passion is Keyforge. Since I've been playing Keyforge, I haven't had time for any boardgames. I am getting into X-wing miniatures as well (just got the base set today).

Comment

DaithiMeyer The flexibility is an important part for me. That´s why I´m so happy with my current group. Since the whole system is improvised and basically permanently under construction we can all chime in to suggest something we want out characters to be able to do. In reasonable amount of course. When I first joined the group the DM told me to build a character however I want and then give him a cool class name that goes in the direction my character is build in. My character is one of the more "classical" characters in our group(if he´s not throwing magical grenade stones around). We have a giantess ranger that is possessed by a demon, a magical assassin, a 7 foot cat-human iceweaver that looks like a frozen corpse (who is completely useless. He can conjure crushed ice for drinks, everything bigger than that nearly kills him) and a small ratlike thingy that´s good at sciency stuff. I like those characters way more than the archetypical elven archer and dwarfen warrior and human thief that basically every game has

Comment

Thank you for the tag, Kanary.

I, too, am a TT gamer. I officially started with GURPS, though prior to that I had some brushed with D&D/AD&D. I've played many, many systems since, including much World of Darkness. Most recently, though, I've been getting into Exalted 3rd Edition. I have yet to play a game, but it looked interesting enough that I jumped in on a Kickstarter last month for the next book in the line.
                              Ooooh, I played in an Exalted campaign for a while. It was a lot of fun. Highly recommended!

Comment

Working...
                              X