What's the best thing about your country (or state)?

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the best thing about your country (or state)?

Seeing the number of people on here who can't afford to pay for medical care got me thinking. There's one thing which is really amazing about the UK (and I'm sure Damer will back me up on this one), and that's our National Health Service. Sure, it's grossly underfunded (and being cut from all sides), it can sometimes take a while to get anything/anywhere but on the whole it does its job pretty well and the amount of stuff you can get on it FOR FREE (at least for UK nationals) is vast.

What's the one thing you love about the area you live in?

Difficult question. Germany has a lot of things everybody loves but I don´t really care for. Our educational system lies in ruins because every one of the 16 provinces can decide for itself how to educate their children thus creating a gap in education between the provinces (it´s the worst in the former GDR but basically everything is terrible there in comparison to the rest of Germany), health care is a bad joke due to privatization of hospitals and pharma lobbyism, and the people here are either complete morons or have no memory at all. See the rise of right wing politicians, parties, violence against immigrants and shit like that. The Third Reich is barely 75 years gone and the people have already forgotten about the horrors of the past... Personaly I don´t care about skin colour, gender, religion and stuff like that. Anybody can be the way they want to be, as long as they are not actively trying to bother me or are trying to force me to adopt their lifestyle.

The one thing everybody says is great about Germany is our beer. It´s okay, if you like pils, otherwise you have pretty much lost. There are barely any good dark beers around.

To cut my ranting about Germany short, the best thing about it is that Denmark is nearby. Most things are better there. The nature, the seas, the architecture and the people always sound as if they were incredibly drunk. Every other scandinavian country laughes about the Danes for sounding ridiculous. I can actually go to my danish lessons absolutely drunk and nobody notices anything

I should really stop writing now...

Comment

This is poignant for me because my partner is itching to move - we'll be selling the house this summer and following her dream (I'm good with it, but also very aware that I'd be content staying put.) So I keep trying to remind her how awesome it is here.

The one thing I'd have to say most is community. Specifically the sweetness of our friends, the general/citywide commitment to local farming and produce, to sustainable transportation, to building strong community supports for those in need.

Comment

Originally posted by Legolo View Post
        I can actually go to my danish lessons absolutely drunk and nobody notices anything

I should really stop writing now...
        ... on German beer?

Comment

Originally posted by Martyn View Post

... on German beer?
          More or less. A good friend of mine is brewing his own beer. It is cheaper then buying beer, tastes better and he can decide what kind of beer he want´s to make

Comment

Agreed Martyn The NHS is a miracle in itself. It has never been funded properly or helped to run properly and most times it's a political football that comes out only just before elections and forgotten afterwards because of the cost involved and its complexity. And yet, it works because of the commitment of those in it.

Comment

Our educational system lies in ruins because every one of the 16 provinces can decide for itself how to educate their children thus creating a gap in education between the provinces (it´s the worst in the former GDR but basically everything is terrible there in comparison to the rest of Germany)
              As someone who has switched schools a lot I have to disagree. Saxony actually has amont the best PISA scores in the country.

If you want a bundesland that has poor education look to Bremen.

When my little sister and I moved from Bremen to Baden-Württemberg with our good grades, nontheless a school rejected us, saying it wasn't their job to fix the deficiencies of pupils from Bremen. Had we moved from Saxony or Saxony-Anhalt there wouldn't have been a problem.

Living in the east now, and having lived in the west for a long time, too, I can say that most of the things that westerners think about the east are wrong.

The east has good areas and bad areas, just like the west.

What I like about Germany is "Die Anstalt". It educates me about stuff going on in our country and in the world, even though it makes me really depressed sometimes.

Comment

Ah Legolo the beer is lovely and some of your food is pretty nice too When I was very young my family lived on the outskirts of Munich for 2 1/2 years. Some very, very happy (granted from eprspective of a child so will be rose tinted) memories there. I visit Munich, or sometimes Berlin as I have a friend that lives there, and love how much cleaner both those cities are. Also the public transport has always been far more reliable when I've been over and as a Brit that won me over

I love th NHS, I have 5 family members that work for them in some capacity and they are tired and overworked and deal with some horrid situations but they also refuse to work in the private sector. It's a lot more than some political pawn to be used on the side of a bus.
                You know what though, I also love a good fry up: English, Scottish or Irish - had one in all 3 countries (lived in Belfast, that was a good Sunday treat), not had one in Wales, what's the difference in a Welsh fry up? Also the micro pubs, can't seem to find many outside of Kent but you trip over them here and all the craft ale and good chat is brilliant!

Comment

Another vote for the NHS here. I don't like being political at Darebee, but there is a campaign called Keep Our NHS Public that is campaigning against privatisation, who'd love to hear from you.

For Wales, it's obviously the flaming enormous dragon we have as our flag. I mean... come on....! Otherwise, although I am at least half English, I have a very strong emotional connection to parts of Welsh and Welsh language culture, both artistically and socially and politically. The landscape is beautiful too - generally!

Lyra_H_W A Welsh fry up, or a Welsh breakfast will often include cockles and if you're lucky laver bread. The south coast from Swansea to the west, and certainly up around the touristy Pembrokeshire coast are the best places to get them in my limited experience. Laver bread is lovely, and you can buy it in tins from a company called Parsons, or you can get it fresh around the coast. I gather it's extremely healthy!

http://www.parsonspickles.co.uk/products/laverbread/

As a citizen of the State of Darebee, I'm also aware that the best thing about this state is that national borders and boundaries dissolve here, and we're all beautiful people in beautiful places!

Last edited by Colin; January 22nd, 2019, 10:43 AM. Reason: Typos and to add a link.

Comment

As a citizen of the State of Darebee, I'm also aware that the best thing about this state is that national borders and boundaries dissolve here, and we're all beautiful people in beautiful places!
                    I hear you.

Comment

Canada = Nature.

Comment

Originally posted by Amirsh View Post
                        I hear you.
                        But regarding public health, I have a relative who's a surgoen in a semi-private hostipal and it pretty much collapsed a few years ago... I mean It's still working but they're paychecks were partly confiscated for a time to help the hospital out. I do think that health should be public and that's an example illustrating that private medicine is no guarantee for quality.
                        In my opinion it is actually the opposite. Private hospitals are the worst hospitals I´ve been in. The hospital in my hometown has always had a terrible reputation for more patients leaving the place in bodybags than alive. Don´t know if i was true than but it is actually true now. The whole staff has been released and the new people are all from the former soviet union. Nobody speaks german, the patients are dying like flies and nobody wants to go to the hospital for the above mentioned reasons. So they try to get to the nearest hospital that is 20 km away. The only people that are still going to that hospital are old people from retiring homes that work with the hospital or patients that the EMTs drop off there. And all that shit just to maximize profit, because why keep expensive german doctors and nurses if you can hire cheap eastern workers that have absolutely no idea what they are doing?When I was there for a week I had take my own blood because the "nurses" were not able to find a vein in my arm! And I am very very white, I could give Ed Sheeran a run for his money as "whitest guy alive"

Hospitals should care about the wellbeing and health of their patients not profits...

Comment

How is that the opposite? I said a private hospital had collapsed. Well semi but because of the private bit.

Comment

@ Amirsh I might have accidentally overlooked the "no" in your last sentence. Sorry...

Comment

@ Amirsh I might have accidentally overlooked the "no" in your last sentence. Sorry...
                              Cool. I've deleted that bit anyway because it's not interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X