Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bread? Bread. BREAD!

Do you make your own bread? What kind? How often do you make it? What's your favorite type?

If you don't make your own bread, would you like to try?

Yes, I bake!
    37.10%
    No, I always buy bread
    22.58%
    Never tried but I would like to
    37.10%
    I don't eat bread :)
    3.23%

Well, how to answer that....hmmm...

I LOVE baking and have made many quick breads over the years like banana, zucchini, pumpkin, cocoa, eggnog, cinnamon, etc

Bread for sandwiches I usually purchase at store....a lower carb, high fiber soft bread that my spouse will eat like Sara Lee Delightful 45

But then again, as a household I try to keep bread and grains to a minimum and trend towards low carb and high protein eating style

Comment

Like MissMolly I often bake quick breads. Some of my favs include scones (chocolate & orange for sweet, garlic & cheddar for savoury), banana bread, corn bread, and various flatbreads (aloo paratha, spicy cumin rotis). I sometimes bake yeast breads too, including hot cross buns and focaccia, but I normally buy bread for sandwiches.

Comment

We had a bread machine but nowadays just buy it. My fave is by Silver Hills Bakery sprouted breads.

Comment

I really was into baking my own bread. Especially with sourdough. My little sourdough starter was extremely lively and even survived weeks without being fed in the fridge. But almost two years my oven broke and at that time I couldn't afford a new one. Somehow, we learned to live without one, my husband lost weight because we didn't bake so much any more and hadn't so many gratins with lots of cheese. So we decided not to replace the oven when we could have bought a new one.
          But sometimes, I still miss baking bread. It's a great hobby. But I gave my sleeping starter to my brother's girlfriend for Christmas.

Comment

Are you watching my kitchen?
            I have a spelt sourdough bread in the oven right now and there will be an experimental chrispbread made from sprouted stuff later today. I rarely buy bread in a store or bakery (nowadays that's basically the same bread as in the store) because, to me, it tastes horrible. The ingredients aren't that great ether. I don't have a regular baking schedule, but usually I bake more than once a month, sometimes twice per week. My favorite bread so far is one made from sprouted buckwheat and spelt without any rising agent, but lots of seeds, nuts and spices (spices make every bread better!). It doesn't have the best consistency but it's bread-heaven for me. It's actually the recipe I will try to turn into chrispbread later.

Comment

When I lived with my parents we always had bread from a real bakery. Sort of. My father is a teacher at a professional school. Not sure if that is the right word though. You go there for all those jobs like carpenter, mechanic, baker, painter, woodworker, etc for the theoretical stuff besides working at a business to learn the pratical stuff. My father is a praxis teacher for car mechatronics and a really good friend of his used to be a teacher for baking, being a baker with some bakeries himself. So we would always get bread from him because he had to bake bread to show his students how it´s done. And because you don´t throw away food he gave it to my father.

I don´t really eat bread anymore because I was spoilt with good bread and the bread you can buy in a store or in one of these big bakery franchises tastes absolutely horrible. And I am way too untalented to bake my own. Also I don´t trust our kitchen. You get an electric shock when you touch the sink and the stove at the same time, so I mostly avoid our kitchen...

Comment

Nihopaloa Cjell we are thinking of doing a Sourdough baking event in the Hive

Click image for larger version

Name:	sourdough-bread-intro.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	536525

Comment

neilarey We sometimes buy bread like that at the Farmers Market.

Comment

Legolo But … making bread is easy! You can even make some in a pan on the stovetop. The easiest versions are just meal, salt and baking powder (somehow, even that is better than store-bought).

Comment

we bake on a regular basis, at least once a week. I really love homemade bread, the preparation and the scent througout the flat ... delicous

The flour is some kind of self-creation, because the store-bought flour, especially gluten-free, doesn´t taste good, so we experimented a bit on our own.

Our flour (600g) consists of:

we grind rice-pudding-grains (really good for moisture in your bread if you get my drift) into flour which makes 1/3 of our bread-flour, then we take 1/3 corn-flour and 1/3 other gluten-free flour which we have to hand (preferably whole grain).

Then we add: 15g Psyllium husks, 1 teaspoon of guar gum (helps that the bread doesn´t dry out too much), 100g oatmeal, 1 teaspoon spices (depens on your taste, i.e. bread-seasoning, etc.), 1 tablespoon salt, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1/2 yeast cube, 600ml water

Preparation: heat the water to 35 degree and dissolve the yeast. add the vinegar to the yeast and water. Mix the dried components. Add the yeast-mixture to the flour-mix. Let it knead for 10 minutes with your kitchen-machine. At this point you could add for example some sesame or other stuff if you like or not. If the dough is too sticky, you can add more flour, in this case we add some coconut flour because it helps great in a scenario with too sticky dough.

In the meantime: grease a bread-form.

If you have the time at this point - let the dough rest for a while - the result is better, but not essential, otherwhise skip this point and head on.

Add the dough into the bread-form and let it rest for another 30 minutes.

preheat the oven to 180 degree (upper and lower heat). let it bake for 50 minutes, make the bread test: knock on the bread, if it sounds hollow, its ready, otherwise let it bake for another 5 or 10 minutes - you know, its a sciene for itself.

Finish! Sometimes we do only half a bread, more then enough for two people, so if the ingredients for a "whole-bread" seems to much for you, just divide it in half.

The result can look like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bread.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	536529

Comment

My Dad bakes sometimes... he's getting too good at it...

Comment

I do it, but can't sustain it. So I'll bake bake bake, then buy buy buy, then switch around again. I don't eat a lot of bread, but if there's a loaf fresh out of the oven...I reckon between me and my boyfriend we'd finish it off in half an hour

Comment

I managed to culture a sourdough starter about 2 years ago and have been baking every 1 or 2 weeks since :=)
                            Just a simple no-knead recipe with wheat and rye flour but it still tastes great (most of the time...)

Comment

Legolo I suspect you're the only one in this thread who shouldn't bake their own bread so as to avoid serious injury. I do hope you pass all your tests so you can have a kitchen that does not hate you.

Personally I've stopped eating bread when I started my first diet attempt. Too little satiety for too many calories. As thus we get bread from the store maybe four or five times a year, but sometimes my boyfriend is the only one eating it. Fluffy sandwich bread we still buy, but I don't eat that either.

Comment

Working...
                              X