Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benefits of yoga.

I'm just curious as to why some of you practice yoga. What are the physical and mental benefits of practicing yoga?

Better flexibilitay
    Better balance
    Fun
    Core stability
    Muscle improvement of musclegroups i dont use very often
    Variety
    Personally it calms me down especially the breathes during the exercises

Comment

Better balance, silence / near silence , stronger core, and a reliable global calming / regrouping effect.
      When I was preparing my Ph.D., I sometimes kept harder tasks / writing or modeling parts for the evenings after my yoga classes, as I felt that after yoga, I was in a good, focused but not nervous state of mind for those.

Comment

Yoga is like a cup of tea, drink the tea.

I do Hot Yoga everyday for an hour, it's a solid challenging workout.

Comment

As a treatment for my physical, neurological and mental health issues....it's low impact, calming, improves balance, promotes neurological restructuring & healing, strengthens core which improves chronic pain...

Comment

Yamas (ethical, external rules): to be fair, honest and kind towards all beings, to put my values into practice

Niyamas (internal rules): to practice self-discipline, to keep learning and to submit to something higher than myself

Asana (physical movement): to develop and improve body-awareness (how does the body feel today, is it tight, relaxed, where are the tensions, if there are any?), improve balance and coordination, for passive and active stretching and mild bodyweight strength training

Pranayama (breathing techniques): to improve focus, to relax, to calm or excite the mind and internal energy

Pratyahara (withdrawal from senses): to pay attention to my inner state

Dhyana (concentration): to improve concentration and keep focus on a single thing, be it breath, light of candle, sound...

Dharana (meditation techniques): to observe how my mind works and spins, to recognize negative thought patterns, words, and actions, to analyze my day, to empty the mind and be in the present moment, to find my true Self, buried under my conscious and subconscious

Samadhi (transcendence of Self): not quite there yet
            Last edited by Ann-Core; January 11th, 2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Hi Ann-Core
              Apart from googling on those names, do you have any reading recommendation, as first steps?
              I knew Yoga was more than positions, know what to look for -)

Comment

Originally posted by Peterpan View Post
                Hi Ann-Core
                reading recommendation
                Has everything . . . The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga

by Swami Vishnu Devananda

Click image for larger version  Name:	41I0tdkzpML._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	63.8 KB ID:	536117

Comment

As a fello beginner, PeterPan, this video playlist covers the "8 limbs" of yoga in a brief sort of way, from a channel that seems serious and trustworthy to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYlb...Ar8LbM5VTmLqq9

Ann Core - I think, apologies if not - also sent me in the past to a very good (and kind of old fashioned!) website that covered things in depth.

To answer Huzzah!'s original question. For me, it's a good - and often very challenging - workout that does things (specifically around flexibility and "moving meditation") that are very good for me and great fun. On a slightly flippant and personal note, the people who recommend and have helped me with yoga, including in real life, but also these lovely people above me here, have always been very kind and welcoming to me and other newcomers. That's a very valuable thing that I find moving.

Comment

Peterpan I’ll get back to you in the following days, need more time for a proper reply.

Comment

Working...
                    X