What You Need to Prepared for in an OCR (Obstacle Course Race)

Collapse
X
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What You Need to Prepared for in an OCR (Obstacle Course Race)

Hey guys hope the training is going well. I'm just making a post for anyone who is doing their first ever OCR on how to prepare for it. This is based on experience so for people who do OCR and have some advice please feel free to add any posts

But before that you need to know what to wear when racing:

Trail shoes: Much like football shoes these have special studding which help grip mud and rough terrain but are softer than cleats so it doesn't hurt people as much if trodden on. If you are buying new shoes make sure you buy them the latest 1 week that way you have time to 'break them in' as there is nothing worse than hitting the finish line with serious blisters. However as most OCRs are on grass and mud, some cases they do OCRs in the city centre meaning you will be running on foot paths so normal trainers are necessary as trail shoes will inflame your ITB.

Compression Shirts & Trousers: These are the best things you can have in an OCR they're like having a second skin so when you run in water the water just drips away not weighing you down like a t-shirt or jogging bottoms. Also in the summer they keep you cool and oddly in the winter it keeps you warm.

(Optional) Dry Robe: These robes are incredible and would serious recommend getting if you have the money. They are a long warm coat you can wear after the race is finished; and as its so big you can get changed in it too without worrying if your towel will fly off.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 16.40.13.png Views:	1 Size:	863.4 KB ID:	518668

Now for the kit what you need first is a Spacious Gym Bag to put all the following equipment in:

Spare Clothes: This is an obvious one, because there is nothing worse than driving home wet and muddy and ruining your car. So Shoes, Warm Trousers, T-Shirt, Warm Jumper, UNDERWEAR

Bin Bags: This is to put all your muddy kit in after the race to keep your bag clean take a couple to split the load.

Snacks, Shakes & Water: The water is for pre race to keep you hydrated. The snacks & shakes will be for after the race such as bananas, protein bars and shakes for you to keep your energy recharged.

Towel and shower gel: Most races do come with a shower so have this on hand to clean all that mud off. However I have had an experience where there were no showers at all which was infuriating. I have found out they have created a new product in GO Outdoors called Pits & Bits Festival Wash Kit it’s a liquid soap and shampoo with expandable wipes without the additional water or rinsing which is super handy if there are no showers available.

Med Kit:Now this is essential if you ever have those nasty cuts or grazes during the race. This needs to include Plasters to cover the wounds, Antiseptic Sanitizer to clean the wounds, Antiseptic cream to put into the wound, Antiseptic Burn Cream this is great for blisters, Freeze Gel or Heat Gel for the sore muscles which ever you prefer.

If you have all this you should have a great experience and good luck on your OCR I'm rooting for you

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2018-11-13 at 09.12.11.png Views:	1 Size:	629.5 KB ID:	518669

What a great idea BlackButler !

Personally I'm definitely behind most of these (if nothing else, get the tight-fitting clothes!), except that I never even thought of bringing a medical kit. Those robes sound awesome!

Also depending on the length of the race it might be good for some people to bring snacks for during. During my first tough mudder, my blood sugar levels lowered to the point that I could feel my body getting cold from the outside in because it had no fuel to burn to warm itself. I cannot describe it any better, it was as if all the resources went to the moving, but I couldn't keep warm. Then at some point they handed out little pieces of protein bars and I had several and after a time (protein bars are not ideal for this, simple carbs would have made a difference more quickly) I felt like, hey, there's the fuel, my body started warming up and I stopped feeling shitty. The two people I was with did not have this problem, but some people might. So during the second tough mudder, I was carrying an assortment of energy bars on my person, and I did not regret it.

Comment

Awesome short guide.

Comment

Originally posted by MissSmilla View Post
        What a great idea BlackButler !

Also depending on the length of the race it might be good for some people to bring snacks for during.
        Most of the time if the race is longer than 5K they have drink and snack stations for runners. Also carrying snacks in your pocket might not be fun when the wrapper is coated in mud hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackButler View Post

Most of the time if the race is longer than 5K they have drink and snack stations for runners. Also carrying snacks in your pocket might not be fun when the wrapper is coated in mud hehe.
          Both true, but in my case the snack station came too late... by that time I probably would have eaten the protein bar out of a mud puddle without using my hands. Also, our team was wearing bathing caps (like, the old lady kind), so I carried my food on my head. No mud. No unfortunate bulges. Some sweat maybe, but if you're unwilling to deal with your own sweat, what are you doing at an obstacle race?

Comment

That is pretty genius hehe

Comment

BlackButler Thanks for this list. OCR's are on my list to tackle so it's nice to hear from people who have done them!

Comment

Fantastic list! I agree with all of it, but I'd add in gloves. I had some fun with rope burn the one time I forgot them (read, misery). I doubly agree with the snacks and water - a runner belt or camelbak type bag are pretty common. I've done the same OCR race 5 times, and 2 there were snacks and gatorade, the others it was water only and a few stations ran out of water.

Lastly, do NOT forgot waterproof sunscreen (unless you like very strange face tans).

Comment

Working...
                X