No announcement yet.

Last Movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I still have to watch The Birds! My dad recorded it once but the last part was not on it, so I never saw how it ends....

Comment

mahes30
      Last movie i saw "Tridev " .It is a action movie .It is a full of entertainment. In this movie Sunny Deol,Nashirudin shaha & Jackie shroof works as heroic role to fight against evil power.

Comment

I recorded it for my dad, too. He had been talking about it, and I thought he hadn’t seen it before but it turns out he did. Since it was already on there I decided to watch it. I believe this was my first Hitchcock movie, but I don’t think it was my first Hitchcock experience. I’d watched some of Alfred Hitchcock Presents (The Dusty Drawer was so, so wrong, but the dark part of my sense of humor found it so, so funny ) but as this was over 5 years ago, I’m not sure about the time frame on it. I do know I already knew about how Tippi was treated, so I guess it was the combination of the convenience of it being recorded and the curiosity that made me watch it? But maybe if I hadn’t known the history of the filming, I’d have enjoyed it more.

Comment

It's a difficult question I think. I was a BIG fan of Woody Allen when I was younger. I went off his work over time before I was aware of very much about the allegations against him. I watched Vicky Cristina Barcelona and found it a bit gross and was non-plussed by the myriad positive reviews for it. More recently - and post learning more about the allegations against Allen - I watched Mighty Aphrodite (for the first time) and really hated it (I reviewed it on here and I wish I'd given it a lower score) to the extent that I found the portrayal of the female protagonist to be disgusting really.

I don't think I've ever seen a Polanski film, but not through a conscious boycott, and I should consider that.

I still watch Hitchcock films though. I know a lot of people do make a distinction between the work of living and dead artists. It's interesting to me that though he treated women appallingly, his women characters are often strong, resourceful and perhaps their portrayal might even be considered "ahead of its time" in terms of representation. I'm thinking particularly of Eva Marie Saint as Eve Kendall in North by Northwest, though I must admit to a fair degree of ignorance on a lot of what I'm talking about here.

I suspect that METOO was probably a tip of a much bigger ice-berg in the film industry and I also suspect that there are other bigger icebergs elsewhere.

Yes, it is a difficult question.

Comment

I don’t usually pay attention to the directors of the movies I watch, but I need to start. There are some, like the ones I’ve mentioned, that I do pay attention to. I wouldn’t call it a conscious boycott on my part, but I just don’t feel I could bring myself to watch them. I am really curious about Rosemary’s Baby, for whatever reason, but I’ll probably just satisfy that curiosity by reading the book.

I can usually ignore (that’s not really the word I’m wanting to use, but I’m blanking) how characters are portrayed in books/movies/tv and separate it from my personal beliefs and thoughts. There are some that rub me the wrong way, like one scene in the movie Vertigo and the Psycho novel, as well as it’s sequels. For all the negative qualities the women have in his movies, there is a certain strength to them, even if it’s not fully realized. I don’t think the men are portrayed any better. Even Jimmy Stewart’s character in Rear Window, though he helped catch a murderer, is iffy. There’s a bit of a moral conundrum there. He shouldn’t have been spying, but the guy shouldn’t have committed murder. I think Hitchcock’s movies feel more like commentary, in a way. Obviously one person committed a more egregious crime, but no one is completely innocent, at least in the movies I’ve seen so far. The only exception I can think of is Shadow of a Doubt. I haven’t seen North by Northwest yet, so I can’t speak on that.

It is a really difficult question with no perfect answer to. I think it just comes down to each individual person and what they’re comfortable with. I don’t think a person is bad for watching movies directed by certain people, or “too sensitive” for deciding not to. And if you really think about it, it would probably be pretty difficult to find movies where everyone involved were perfectly decent, honorable human beings.

Comment

Wish Dragon (6/10) - Watched this with the kiddos on vacation, it was enjoyable enough. A few decent chuckles and a nice brisk pace, just nothing too special.

Re: Hitchcock, Allen, Polanski, etc...

In my former life as a film student and struggling filmmaker, Woody Allen was enormously influential. And even if he may not be to everyone's taste, I think his string of films from the 70s through the 90s is without parallel (at least in the US). I don't think he made an outright BAD movie until the early 90s; and a lot of his 70s and 80s films are just outstanding. So while I haven't watched his last few movies at all, and haven't enjoyed many since probably MATCH POINT, he'll always hold a place in my list of favorite filmmakers.

I agree w/ Colin that Hitchcock is an interesting case study in misogyny. The objectification is hard to miss, and there is also the sexual texts and subtexts of each film, but the female characters are often strong and resourceful. I also agree that we would probably be hard pressed to find talented artists without moral failings - and furthermore, would probably be shocked by things that were ignored or unreported in past artists.

Polanski is hard to excuse, lol. A skilled filmmaker, but a convicted criminal. Allegations and rumors are one thing, convictions are another.

Comment

I think those are two perfect answers - or at least have better articulated where I stand than I could have myself, I think - from Baston and @LizardFriend96.

I now recall that I have seen Rosemary's Baby. I don't recall it very well, but I would not recommend anyone now watch it knowing about Polanski's history.

Comment

Originally posted by Baston View Post
                  I agree w/ Colin that Hitchcock is an interesting case study in misogyny. The objectification is hard to miss, and there is also the sexual texts and subtexts of each film, but the female characters are often strong and resourceful.
                  I think Hitchcock was saved by the fact that he had a brain and eyes. He saw women around him being strong and resourceful and had the sense to not reject that reality but rather include it into his world view.

To me this whole artist debate is very much a matter of what time it's in. Objectified women in the 70s? Par for the course. Objectified women in the 2020s? Dude, you're a disgusting sexist and deserve to be cancelled. (Unless the objectification is equal opportunity...)

So if the same author writes a super racist book in the 50s and then another in 2010, I will condemn the 2010 book way harder than the 50s book.

Comment

Saw The Mauritanian in the cinema. About the man that was suspected of organising 9-11, while he was being detained and imprisoned without charge for years. Strong cast, well build up. 8/10​​​​​​

Comment

mahes30
                      Lat movie I saw is Kriss . Hrithick Roshan works as a heroic role in this movie.Preity zinta acts as an costar actress in this movie.

Comment

Saw another few movies in the cinema:

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard I expected more of this. The first movie was awesome, strong with a lot of humour. This one didn't fit well on the first storyline and it lacked the humour of the first. But, well, there were some nice plots and action scenes. 6.5/10

Snake eyes
                        It only gets a 5.7 on Imdb, I think it deserves more. Yes it's a standard predictable movie, but I liked the story, the action and the plot. 7/10

Jungle Cruise
                        I had very low expectations, the trailer does not serve the film well. I went because I like the actors and wanted to give it a go. I really liked it. 8/10

Comment

Okay, not a movie but a mini- series. Al Rawabi School for Girls on netflix. It has all the hallmarks of a teen show but with psychological twists. 6 episodes, watched it all today. It has some difficult scenes but nothing horrific if you are used to television...

Comment

Venom :: I liked it even though I'm not much of a Spiderman fan. 7.5/10

Comment

WW84 (3/10) - I liked the fireworks reflecting off the invisible jet, otherwise this was almost unwatchable. I felt embarrassed for the cast and crew.

Joe v the Volcano (8/10) - The opening sequence is incredible. Great satire and mix of high and low-brow humor - references to film classes, but then undercutting those classics with jokes about a rectal probe... The film is fast, funny, ridiculous. I really enjoyed it.

Comment

Doctor Sleep (2019 film) 9/10 Netflix

Stephen King's 2013 sequel to 'The Shining' gets turned into a film that's long and prosaic but also creepy and scary: a tale of ghosts, cults, and child murder that revisits the Overlook Hotel of Stanley Kubrick's film.

Comment

Working...
                                X