• Show
Clear All

• 'rin
    replied
    "Wee Free Men" bc Pratchett is fun, which I needed

Leave a comment:

• rainflower
    replied
    God Is Not Great, Star Wars: Kenobi, HP Lovecraft stories, and Saul Bellow stories.

Leave a comment:

• Aldomine
    replied
    Finished up Hearts In Atlantis. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it an 8.5. It started off pretty strong but kind of dragged a little at the end. At least to me. However, I overall enjoyed it.

Leave a comment:

• Baston
    replied
    Recently finished TRUST (Diaz) - This book is fantastic. Four hundred pages, I read it in four days. The plot is about financiers in the early twentieth century, which does not sound like something I would normally enjoy, but the style, the syntax, and the interesting technique make it almost impossible to put down.

Leave a comment:

• Baston
    replied
    Recently finished A ROOM WITH A VIEW (Forster) - Light, sweet, and entertaining, with some exquisite prose peppered throughout. Also like the emphasis on a strong female coming into her own in the context of a novel written in the early 20th century.

Leave a comment:

• 'rin
    replied
    Anek PetiteSheWolf I am so glad I'm not alone. When I'm in a GREAT mood, rereads are abt 30%. When I'm super stressed, up to 90%. Right now I'm hovering around 70%.

Leave a comment:

• Anek
    replied
    'rin and PetiteSheWolf may I join your wolfy lair of re-reading favorite authors
    I think on average I do half new books, half re-reads in the year. Sometimes my brain is so stressed by work stuff I don't have the mental energy to read a new story, so I pull out those cozy mysteries (Agatha and Dorothy) or some vampires. Always a nice break

Currently re-reading Pratchett's Hogfather, perfect to read about winter in 30 degrees

Leave a comment:

• 'rin
    replied
    Baston a LOT of those old scifi authors (who were actually scientists in many cases) are like that. Awesome ideas, omg, can't wait to see what happens next but... shitty writing.

Niven is like that for me. Super enthralled w his known space universe. So love the Gil the Arm stories but... the only books that are decently written are ones he collaborated w ppl on.

The only Asimov I actually enjoyed (fiction wise.. his guide to understanding physics saved my bacon nonfiction wise) were the Norby and Yobo books he co-wrote w his wife.

Leave a comment:

• PetiteSheWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by 'rin View Post
    Am I the only person who reads/rereads certain authors just because of the headspace that author puts you into?
    Definitly not the only one, so don't go into hiding (or come share my wolfish lair ). For me that'd be some of the "cozy"-er mysteries , or some author that feel more wholesome / put me in a calmer, healthier mindstate.

Just finished Steven Saylor's "Roman blood", the first of the Gordianus the Finder books (I had already read the second one, arms of Nemesis, a few years back) ; definitly a good read if you're into historical mysteries, the presentation of Roma under Sulla's dictatorship, and introduction to a young Cicero, are priceless! It starts rather slow, but I had trouble putting the book down, even if parts of the end are predictable (if you're curious about Cicero, you can quickly find out whodunit, and a few other pieces are logical for the start of a serie). Doesn't make at all want to time-travel and find myself in that time period, though! (even if time-traveling would change me into a man and ensure I stay a free man, LOL).

Leave a comment:

• Baston
    replied
    Recently finished SECOND FOUNDATION (Asimov) - I feel bad. I really wanted to love this series. One of the major series of sci-fi literature, it just hasn't done much for me. I frankly struggled to stay awake sometimes, the prose is so lifeless. I feel like the TV show would actually probably be an improvement; the storyline has a lot going on, it's the delivery and style that are the novel's weakness.

Leave a comment:

• 'rin
    replied
    Am I the only person who reads/rereads certain authors just because of the headspace that author puts you into?

Like... I love William Gibson. But. His heroes/heroines are always just slightly smarter than they have any right to be. Somehow, reading his stuff- esp the blue ant trilogy - puts me into the headspace of trying to be really very clever. I have been having trouble focusing on schoolwork this summer so.... I reread those to try to chase the right mindset/at least do something amusing if I was going to waste time anyway. /hides

Leave a comment:

• Froud
    replied
    Originally posted by Aldomine View Post
    Froud So far I'm enjoying it! I did not know that there was a movie as well, I might have to check it out
    It is with Anthony Hopkins. II think is worth the watch, but it was a loooooong time ago

Leave a comment:

• Aldomine
    replied
    Froud So far I'm enjoying it! I did not know that there was a movie as well, I might have to check it out

Leave a comment:

• Froud
    replied
    Aldomine I really liked Hearts in Atlantis. I have seen the movie, but I do not have any recollection of it.

I have started Black Listed by Luke Romyn. It is like a Vin Diesel movie but in a book.

Leave a comment:

• Anek
    replied
    Today I finished "The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue", it was really good! A story I had never heard the type of before, which is saying something these days. Often I find new books to be telling very similar stories just with other characters and context, but this one was new.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X