What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HValkyrie View Post
    i'm reading a very long book about norse mythology cause i'm very predictable
    and which one exactly if you mind me asking? There are quite a few available ... or perhaps the new Gaiman ? or something else entirely ?

Comment

Good luck with your exam, Martyn! I'm sure you'll cruise through it!

And to stay on topic, I'm currently reading The Wonder Stuff Diaries, 86 - 89 by Miles Hunt.

It's a bit obscure. Hunt was the lead singer of the Wonder Stuff, a British indie band who had some chart success but were by no means massive. I was an enormous fan of the Wonder Stuff so I'm loving it, though I'm not sure how widespread its appeal would be. It's well written, and Miles has an engaging personality.

Go and check out a couple of their tunes on YouTube in any case.

Comment

Good Luck Martyn

TheLibrarian it's "I Miti Nordici" ( translated should be "Norse Myths" ) of Gianna Chiesa Isnaldi, but i don't think an actual english version exist though

Comment

Stones from the River by Ursula Hegi. It's about a dwarf living in Nazi Germany. I've been on a historical fiction bend lately, but it's gotten so existentially depressing, I need some non-GRRM related fantasy for a break. Might go fill in some of the Discworld I'm missing from the wayback once I finish this one. I read Dark Lord of Derkhold, but it was a little too... too.

Comment

Currently reading Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn.

Comment

Colin HValkyrie thank you both. The exams went OK. Not perfect, but I'm pretty confident I passed....

Keep the vibes going though, the practical exams are on Friday.... ​​​​​​​

Comment

The Expanse series by James S A Corey. I'm really loving it. Usually in SciFi especially the idea at the core of the book is awesome but, maybe the writing is not crisp, or the dialog sucks...this is super well written to the point where I was quoting dialog at people. (Actually I picked these up bc a friend was quoting dialog at me, lol.) In book 5 atm and may be sacrificing some sleep tonight for it.

​​​​​​Also, recently reread "the ones who walk away from omelas"by Ursula K LeGuin (short story). It has always been a favorite of mine, and never fails to have an impact, this last time I ended up in tears. Been awhile since that's happened with a book.

Comment

Well, currently I was reading my Biology Lab book for class tomorrow, and I'm also reading Animal-Speak Workbook. Which is an addition guide to the book Animal-Speak, which is about modern shamanism which is really cool. I'm very intereasted in starting to practice shamanism.

Comment

shamanism sounds coolbut i don't get the link between animal-speak and shamanism

Comment

'rin "the ones who walk away from omelas"by Ursula K LeGuin (short story). - This story, heart breaking, morality questioning and much more . Everyone should read this story and sit back then wonder if we aren't living in the same world day in and day out.

Comment

shamanism sounds coolbut i don't get the link between animal-speak and shamanism
                        Animal-Speak is the name of the first book by Ted Andrews on the subject of shamanism. He has several books but only 3 on the subject of shamanism. He explains what shamanism is and how to practice. There is mention of cultures that used to practice it and how shamanism is still relevant to our modern world. Shamanism is basically comunicating with Nature, learning how Nature speaks to us, and how to understand the signs and omens we get from Nature. Animal-Speak, the workbook, and Animal-Wise focuses mostly on using animals to comminicate with Nature, animal totems, and how to use animal medicine.

They are really good reads, personally I enjoy them.

Comment

oooooooooooooooooh yah now i get it thanks aaaaaaaaand but now you made me curiousif i find a book like that i might give it a try

Comment

oooooooooooooooooh yah now i get it thanks aaaaaaaaand but now you made me curiousif i find a book like that i might give it a try
                            Haha. You're welcome. I personally would highly recommend the books if you are into that sort of thing. They are interesting reads for sure.

Comment

I've just downloaded Cicero's Tusculan Disputations in light of its current prominence in the media. Yet to see if I'll actually get into it. But I am also in the middle of Plato and A Platypus Walk Into A Bar... Clearly I'm in some philosophical phase in my reads. On a somewhat similar thread, I highly recommend Wonder, The One and Only Ivan, and (teehee) Matilda. Vetting stuff for the little one!

Comment

today i finished my book of norse mythology and started "Brave New World" of Aldous Huxleythe future he describes is so messed up that i need to know more about itit is just... so wrong!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X