No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm just starting year 4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Other 3 so far amazing. Also reading I Hate you- don't leave me.

Comment

Re-reading the "accursed Kings" serie by Maurice Druon (les rois Maudits) - which GRR Martin recognised as one of his inspirations for Game of Thrones. Plotting, sex (less graphic of course, but still aplenty), politics, murder and torture - yeah, I can see the inspiration, LOL!

Comment

Finally finished reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson. It's 700pages long book and it took me a while (especially as I started my first full time job recently). It is a great sci-fi in 3 parts. In part one humankind learns that it is going to be wiped out and starts to create an "Cloud Ark" which is spaceship where at least some people are going to survive. Part two is "The Epic" or an odyssey of those who were sent to space. From around 3000 people sent to space only 8 survive, namele 8 women, which will become 7 Eves (one of them is post-menopause so cannot bear children), which will create 7 races (because genetic engineering). Part 3 is 5000 years after the events of "the Epic" when humanking grows to several millions and start to "terReform" the Earth (crashing comets to fill oceans again and creating plants and animals from digital archives). The main point of part three is that the 7 races are going to find out, that 2 more races survided the catastrophe on the planet. One of them survived hiding in deep underground mines, and the second race survived in the deepest trenches of the oceans.

For me, everything was spinning about duality of human nature: namely rationality and emotionality. The original "cloud ark" splitted into two separate communities "endurance" and "the swarm". One of them being emotional and hasteful in conclusions, other being more cold headed and rational. The seven races are descendants of women from both communities and eventually there are 2 wars between these races.

It is rather complex book, and I enjoyed it immensely. I started to re-read 1984 by George Orwell as it is one of my favourtie books

Comment

Almost finished with 'Cryptonomicon' by Neal Stephenson, like the forementioned Seveneves its a rather long one, I think 900 pages in paper. Its written on 2 timelines alternating from chapter to chapter. One is set in WWII mostly in the Pacific and the second in the 1990s mostly in Manila and LA. Its as You can guess from the title its about codes and codebreaking but also about greed, love...
          *Cronos* I read Seveneves almost in one go. It was a rainy vacation. Its a great book! Come to think of it all I read by Stephenson (Snow Crash, Mongoliad, Reamde and Seveneves) was great.

Comment

Anyone on here into comics? I'm going through the Marvel Cosmic storylines right now. Finishing up Guardians of the Galaxy and heading in to the Thanos Imperative. I thought Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest were great stories. Hoping they make it into the Marvel Cinematic Universe soon.

Also if you like Star Wars novels then try out the Darth Bane trilogy. Best trilogy I've ever read. Much better character than Darth Vader. The series covers Bane starting out as slave minor (mineral minor) at the edge of the Galaxy and follows him getting into the top Sith Academy and becoming a Sith. While learning from the current Masters he decides their views on the Dark Side are wrong and he sets about teaching himself. Then once he is strong enough he wipes out every other Sith in the Galaxy and creates the Rule of Two starting the Sith Order that the Star Wars movies are based on. He is the first in the line of Sith that leads to Sideous and Vader.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxdiva9 View Post
              I'm just starting year 4 Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Other 3 so far amazing. Also reading I Hate you- don't leave me.
              cool! i have read the whole sires about five time! the fourth book is one of the best!

Comment

I can never stick to one book at a time! I'm currently reading Far From the Maddening Crowd, For Whom The Bell Tolls, and (re)reading A Moveable Feast.

Comment

I've been reading a web serial called Worm written by Wildbow and let me tell you it is the stuff of legends. In less than a month it became one of my favorite reads of all time. Superhero stuff, but more Watchmen than Marvel or DC, grim dark universe, engaging characters, cool action and overall smart and interesting plot.
                  Seriously worth checking guys, plus it's free and easy to find on Google (cuz it's a Web serial and all).
                  ​​​​​

Comment

I recently started Ryoma: Life of a Renaissance Samurai. So far so good, but it's a huge book. I enjoyed the author's book on the Shinsengumi, so I'm hoping this is equally good.

Comment

I am reading book "game of symbols in medieval"... for everyone from Europe or interested in history it can be very interesting literarure. Did you know that (except Holy Roman Empire) in those times there was no green clothes. And people saw purple as a "brighter" black. Green was a "dirty white" then.. amazing

Comment

I am reading a book on the history of the crusades.

Comment

I have started the Mars Trilogy of Kim Stanley Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Tyker814 View Post

cool! i have read the whole sires about five time! the fourth book is one of the best!
                            I also have read these many times and love them all! I've recently gotten into audio books and The Harry Potter series on audio is amazing! The guy who narrates them (if its the official reading) is fantastic!

Comment

I'm currently reading Homeland: Carrie's Run by Andrew Kaplan for my English class. I saw it at the library and because I like the tv series so much I decided to read it. It's about a CIA-agent Carrie who is sent out to the Middle East.

Comment

Last reading nietzsche paper really genius dude outside the box thinking,first perfect nihilist

Comment

Working...
                                X