No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started reading To Kill a Mockingbird. It's the second time I try to read that book, and I hope this time I'll manage to finish it.

Comment

Three quarters through "The Atlas Six", it drags a bit but overall it's good. I almost didn't buy it because the cover says "the must-read TikTok sensation" and I'm opposed on principle to TikTok *old bunny yells at clouds*

Comment

Recently finished A MASTER OF DJINN (Clark) - After the bold, brazen perspective, tone, and general no-holds-barred approach of Ring Shout, I have to admit I was a little disappointed. It is good. And it's interesting and refreshing to have an early 20th century detective story that features strong, intelligent female protagonists; and the Egyptian setting is interesting; and mix of Islam and pre-Islamic traditions and cultures is interesting... The story just relies on too many well-worn cliches to be truly spectacular. Part of it work like gangbusters. When things start to come together, and Clark starts to throw complications at his protagonists, I was almost giddy. But again, I was just hoping for better.

Comment

Finished:

The Edge of the Sword (Errand of Vengeance #1)

Comment

Due to less activity recently i got back into reading a bit more.
            • Elizabeth Strout, My name is Lucy Barton
              • it's well written and basically an interesting topic around the difficult relationship between a mother and a daughter. A friend recommended it to me but probably because i have my very own story on that topic i didn't really warm up to it.
            • Ferdinand von Schirach, Tabu
              • always an interesting read and good brainfood
            • Christian Kracht, Imperium
              • it's fiction based on a real character, some kind of adventure-colonialism-individualism-including going crazy-story. I didn't really like it much, it's off-putting in several scenes and it's one of the few books i read but do not keep.
            • Philipp Ruch, Schluß mit der Geduld (translates to something like Done with patience)
              • a pamphlet from the founder of an artist-activist group practicing radical humanism. They call themselves political beauty and made several controversial projects over the past years. The book is about the theory and thinking behind it and occasionally quite radical but with interesting ideas. Good food for thought.
            There have been more, but that's what i recall for now. At the moment i am reading Daniel Kahneman, Thinking, Fast and Slow. It's a classic i haven't read yet and it will take a while to work through. I love it already though.

Comment

Finished The Dorito Effect. It looks at the devolution of food in the past 100 years as taste has been sacrificed for production. Along the way a lot of micronutrients and secondary compounds have been lost, part of the reason why people eat so much (they never feel full) and therefore leads to the obesity problem. I am not sure how accurate it is, but it was an interesting read.

Comment

I just finished 'Family Man' by Jayne Ann Krentz. It's a light, entertaining drama. Fun to read but very predictable. Currently reading 'Good without God' by Greg M. Epstein, 'Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies' by Rhena Branch and Rob Willson and 'The Gut Health Protocol' by John G. Herron

Comment

I finished The Dorito Effect. An interesting look at how food corporations have used flavour to change how we eat, leading presumably to the obesity epidemic.

Comment

Hello there!

I am reading "The Wind through the Keyhole" by Stephen King.

Comment

Just finished Zola's "the earth" / (la terre). Definitly the raw-est Zola I have read. This time Zola focuses on describing two agricultural families in a Beauceron village (vast, cereal-producing plains on the south-west of Paris), right before the 1870 war with Germany. He doesn't pull any punches ... His descriptions are, as always so fascinating and alive ; but his characters, oh my. Completely morally miserable. Without spoiling, I can warn there is rape and murder and mistreatment... I am really glad I read it, but not sure I will read it again soon, it was tough!

Comment

Daniel Goleman "Emotional intelligence"

Comment

Finished "This Time Tomorrow" by Emma Straub. I really like her books and this was an interesting take on time travel.

Comment

Rabbit & Robots from Andrew Smith

Follow the great journey of Cager Messer to learn what it means to be a human. While he is trapped on a gigantic space ship he has to handle with robots which are stuck in one emotion. (Happy, angry, horny and many more.)

"This is so exciting, I Think I just popped a little" - Lourdes

Comment

Originally posted by PetiteSheWolf View Post
                              Just finished Zola's "the earth" / (la terre). Definitly the raw-est Zola I have read. This time Zola focuses on describing two agricultural families in a Beauceron village (vast, cereal-producing plains on the south-west of Paris), right before the 1870 war with Germany. He doesn't pull any punches ... His descriptions are, as always so fascinating and alive ; but his characters, oh my. Completely morally miserable. Without spoiling, I can warn there is rape and murder and mistreatment... I am really glad I read it, but not sure I will read it again soon, it was tough!
                              This is one of his book I have not read yet. I have started 30 years ago with Germinal, and I went on with L'Assomoir, La Joie de Vivre (a must, sad af), la Bête Humaine and on...
                              But definitely, Zola is a must read in the french literature.

Comment

Originally posted by Anek View Post
                                Finished "This Time Tomorrow" by Emma Straub. I really like her books and this was an interesting take on time travel.
                                Have you read 'The Psychology of Time Travel'? It was a pretty nice reading

Comment

Working...
                                X