No announcement yet.

What are you currently reading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leviathan Falls (The Expanse #9) by James S.A. Corey. Last installment of the Expanse series. Overall an excellent read, 'realistic' views on how space ships operate.
    No, they are not like busses and can come to a stop in minutes. There is no 'artificial gravity' just acceleration/deceleration.
    Great socio-economic dynamic, belters vs. inners and an excinct(?) alien race as cherry on top.
    Liked all of them, but everything has to come to an end. It's coasting gracefully to the finish line.
    Last edited by Andi64; February 5, 2022, 11:14 PM.

Comment

finished:

Perry Rhodan #142: Agenten der Vernichtung

Comment

A few days ago I finished The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt. It was a fairly new western novel about two brothers in the killing business. It started out amusing, with the steady back-and-forth between the two brothers and various other characters, but there wasn't much variety to it and after half of the book you already knew how everyone was talking. Because they all talked the same way. It was a bit too long for my tastes because of that. Still, a solid book.

Yesterday I finished Phule's Company by Robert Asprin, a sci-fi comedy novel about the losers of the so-called Space Legion. That one, I liked a lot. I laughed a lot, I liked the main character and I was a bit sad when it ended. I'd describe it as military sci-fi slice of life. I take a short break but can't wait to read the next book in the series.

And today I read Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx and... I think I didn't get it. I was confused by the writing, never knew who was talking, couldn't remember the characters, didn't care for them and had trouble understanding the language and the dialect they used. If I hadn't seen the movie when it was in cinemas, I wouldn't have known what was happening. It was recommended to me, but I wonder if it was just a meme or meant as a joke. Maybe it was the worst shortstory of the author? idk.

Comment

lofivelcro I read Annie Proulx's short story collection Close Range over the summer, which contains Brokeback Mountain. If I remember correctly, there's a bit of reading between the lines happening. And the 1960s Wyoming cowboy dialect is not the easiest. I remember enjoying the other stories and thinking Brokeback Mountain was fine, but it's just kind of a sad story which isn't my favorite thing to read. For me, the stories fit a mood I wanted at the time, which was sort of rural Western US. Sorry it didn't work for you.

Comment

Recently finished MY HEART IS A CHAINSAW (Jones) - I really liked this book, and I like it even more the more I think about it. It's a horror novel, so if you're at all bothered by violence and/or viscera, this is not the book for you. It also has flashes of poetry in its prose, and dark humor. And Jones has an abundance of affinity and affection for the genre - it's infectious. Highly recommend.

Comment

sunpetal thanks for your comment. I had a hard time with the language, so that could well be the case for my dislike. It didn't make following the plot easier. I think more pages would have done the story good, tbh. It felt a bit rushed, I guess. What I remember from the movie when I watched it, I didn't like the second half in that one, either.
              Maybe I'll give another one of her stories a try, at a later time.
              Do you have any other western stories/novel you can recommend? I have True Grit and All the Pretty Horses on my reading list and am always looking for more.

Comment

lofivelcro I wish I did. I've sort of meant to expand my exploration of westerns, but I haven't gotten there yet. I think I read Riders of the Purple Sage a long time ago, but it's been so long I can't say whether I would recommend it or not. True Grit has been on my radar for some time, though.

Comment

sunpetal aww, and here I was hoping. I've read the Sisters Brothers, which was kind of a western, but like I've written above, it overstayed its welcome a bit. I'll look into Riders of the Purple Sage and if I find something else, I'll let you know

Comment

lofivelcro I'd love to hear about any you enjoy.

Comment

I finished The Sound of Waves by Yukio Mishima. Set on a small fishing isle in Japan in the 60s, I think, it tells of Shinji, a young man working on a fishing boat, and Hatsue, the daughter of the richest man on the isle and their love for each other. I liked it a lot. It was a quick and cosy read, with light drama that didn't ruin the comfortable atmosphere. I liked the description of the simple lives the people lead on the island, how the people interact with each other, and the slowness of it all. Very recommended.

Comment

Just started Make Me by Lee Child. It's book 20 in the Jack Reacher series, even though it's the first Jack Reacher book I have read. I learned online that the books can be read out of order.

Comment

Recently finished HARROW (Williams) - The quality of the writing in this book is (without exaggeration) extraordinary. I found myself writing down quotes from almost every page. The prose is profound, powerful, beautiful. I wish I could say the same about the story. Williams obviously has Big Things on her mind, and says a lot with a little, but there is just very little narrative drive. It's almost like a road movie - a few scenes hanging out with one group, few scenes hanging out with another group. If you like quality writing, I would strongly recommend it; if you really need a compelling story, then this won't work for you.

Comment

Just finished Sober Curious by Ruby Warrington. It was an interesting choice to read a book about sobriety, as I started down my own path to sobriety about 16 years ago and have become increasingly sober since then. It was an interesting read and makes a lot of good points, even if I am already mostly living the life that is described within. It has a bit of New Age stuff, but other than that is probably a good place to start for anyone who is thinking of taking alcohol mostly out of their lives.

Comment

I'm in the middle of "Anything is Possible" by Elizabeth Strout, the second in the Lucy Barton trilogy. It's so good! The writing is fantastic and the stories are just so touching, I love her style although it can be hard. It took me 2 years of break before I could read the second on Olive Kitteridge, luckily these are less intense. So good.

Comment

Recently finished THE THREE-BODY PROBLEM (Liu) - It's interesting and creative, but man does the quality of the writing really do it a disservice. I realize this is a translation, but there are sentences like "He heard a loud buzzing/humming, not unlike the sound a CPU makes when overworking itself"; that's awkward no matter what the language. I'm going to continue the series, but was really hoping for better given its status as a multi-award winner and contemporary sci-fi classic.

Comment

Working...
                                X